Gate catches, visited once more.

FIRE UP

Reaction score
Hey Gang,
Well, I did the 'ole search pattern for ways to keep your gates open and, found some pretty good ideas. There were some that were old enough that, links and photos don't show up any more. Not a big deal. So, I put the old *MacGyver* instincts to work and came up with what you see in the pics. Now, first off, before anyone of the *safety police* gets their dander up, the intent of keeping the gates, EITHER ONE, open is for either parked, moored, docked (whatever you want to label it) and, approaching the boat trailer (for the front gate, duh!) Keeping these gates open while under way AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN! And, as many of you have found, keeping the gates open for those OTHER purposes has great value.

But, the ways to do it, can be challenging in a manor that the ole toe stubber is definitely NOT the best approach. A strap or lever of some sort is a fair choice but, the logistics of that type or restraining system can also have issues. A *magnet* seems to be the method of choice, depending on just how the action/catch/mechanism is designed and applied. So, I set out to use a magnet for both the side and front gates. The first one was the side gate. The surrounding features of the side gate and, where the gate touches in the full-open position, definitely had influence on my design. I looked up all kinds of magnets and, magnetic door/gate/drawer/closet door catches and, just couldn't satisfy my thought process.

Well, digging around in my man cave shop drawers etc. I found EXACTLY what I what could be the answer. In the pics below, you see a small, round magnet, with a hook attached to it. As you see, it's a tad bit smaller than a penny. These are intended for applying to a metal surface and then hanging something, OF MILD WEIGHT. We used them on our recent cruise to Alaska on the outside of our cabin door to hang info for the attendants etc. And, the hook screws into the back side of it. Hmmmm, I gotta be able to make this work somehow! So, stood there, gazing at that side gate, where it came in contact with the furniture in the full open position and, BAM, it hit me. Below are pics. The screw was removed from the magnet and, the smaller diameter was mic'd for size. I came up with the appropriate drill size that, when the hole was drilled in the upper corner, that smaller diameter would have to be forced into that hole. When doing it this way, there's no need to use any form of screw, all the way through the top rail of the gate to retain that magnet. It's a press fit!

As for the metal that the magnet would stick to on the furniture side, well, that was easy. I bent a small piece of metal that LOOKS like Stainless steel but, it just regular old tin but, has a shine to it. I bent it so it would fit in the seam, just below where the back/head rest for that seat, pivots backwards to reveal the trash can. That gate now sticks in the full open position via that small magnet, DONE!

Now, for the front. I worked on using the same magnet in some form at or very close to the hinge. Well, that was a pain due to angles etc. when dealing with that full-open position. So, long story short, (yeah, I know, this has been long enough anyways) I reviewed one or two of the gate catches already done in this neat forum and, just re-adapted my magnet, to a strap, that was originally designed and built, for a SNAP. If a snap was to be used, then the mate for it would be attached to the vertical piece of the gate. Now that, in and of itself, is perfectly fine. But, for me, I kind-a wanted less effort, to close that gate. So, I simply sewed up a strap and, installed that same magnet in the end of it. The opposite end was tucked under that seat cushion and secured with a nice looking stainless screw and finish washer.

Now, for something to attract that magnet on the vertical surface of that gate, I was gonna find a thick washer, counter sink the center so a flat head screw would secure it but, not protrude above the surface of the washer so the magnet would have full bite on that washer. Then, *MacGyver* hit me again. Ahaaaaa, *double sided, 3M tape*!!!!!!!!! So, I broke out some of that, cleaned the surfaces of both the washer and the gate vertical and, applied them together and pressed for about 30 seconds. It's gonna take a small crow bar to get that back off of there.

You see in the pics how it all works. I love it. Yep, a small amount of effort to reach down and grab that short strap and apply the magnet to the washer, DONE! But, just like the side gate, you just grab the gate and pull it away from the strap and the magnet slides off the washer so you don't have to reach down and un clasp the magnet. Annnnnnyyyyywwaaaay, sorry for the long description but, just in case, anyone's thinking about this sort of thing, I thought I'd throw this at ya for ideas.
Scott

Attachments

• IMG_3551.JPG
    IMG_3551.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3553.JPG
    IMG_3553.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3555.JPG
    IMG_3555.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_3556.JPG
    IMG_3556.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_3557.JPG
    IMG_3557.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1987.JPG
    IMG_1987.JPG
    80.9 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1988.JPG
    IMG_1988.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1990.JPG
    IMG_1990.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1991.JPG
    IMG_1991.JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 83
Nice creative solution! Good job! I just use one of the portable cup holders or a flip flop!

Yeah, I could have buzzed down to Lowes and picked up one of the old standard rubber wedges for a door stop but, I figured what the heck, let's have some fun and see what kind of trouble I can get into. I didn't damage or break anything while on this project so, all came out well. If my magnets give way or, I loose one, I'll grab a flip flop also.
Scott

I use the wedge, but it isn't always easy to find. Magnets don't crawl away on their own!

Back