Gate Magnets:

MrG

Reaction score
CD87C796-1095-4DFD-A524-9DF9C1152CBB.jpeg 6DFBA156-3F81-4346-A2E0-0D97CDE92FBF.jpeg 79D50B76-B679-496E-8823-727D4AC10A18.jpeg Well it only took me 7 years to finally install these Nifty little magnets. I just couldn’t bring my self to drilling the 4 holes needed to mount these.
But after installing them I can honestly say, I’m gonna do every gate in my boat. The Rear gate on my boat is open almost all the time. And the rest of the time it’s flapping in the wind. These magnets will simply catch and hold the gate the first time. No more banging untill you decide you have had enough and then lock it in place :)

Great idea! Thanks for sharing...

I really like this idea. Thanks for passing it along to the rest of us.

I was also thinking of Adding gate Magnets these are thin Round Earth magnets about the size of a (Quarter or dime) depending on how much strength you need. Attach them to the front side of Grey Plastic Gate lock. This way if the gate was in limbo it would either swing forward and stick against the Grey plastic square gate lock OR against the cabinet mounted magnets. Either way it would not be swinging in the wind. :)

The magnets would not be a substitute for a locking gate. You would still need to lift it up and into it’s locking position.

I added the drop in gate stops to the front and rear gates so I could leave them open. Not as clean a look as the magnets, but they work.

Attachments

• 4A4FB685-86A4-4652-806A-B980B73CD8E9.jpeg
    4A4FB685-86A4-4652-806A-B980B73CD8E9.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 132
  • B7EE2C7E-B14E-4334-9F7D-91CD042E81EE.jpeg
    B7EE2C7E-B14E-4334-9F7D-91CD042E81EE.jpeg
    127 KB · Views: 131
Sure beats stuffing a flip flop underneath to keep it open.

Last edited:
View attachment 25033 View attachment 25032 View attachment 25031 Well it only took me 7 years to finally install these Nifty little magnets. I just couldn’t bring my self to drilling the 4 holes needed to mount these.
But after installing them I can honestly say, I’m gonna do every gate in my boat. The Rear gate on my boat is open almost all the time. And the rest of the time it’s flapping in the wind. These magnets will simply catch and hold the gate the first time. No more banging untill you decide you have had enough and then lock it in place :)

Where did you get the gate magnets?

I added the drop in gate stops to the front and rear gates so I could leave them open. Not as clean a look as the magnets, but they work.

DaveyJ where did you purchase those gate stops?

I believe they are TH Marine branded. Can’t recall specifically where I ordered them from. One thing I did have to do was round the corners over with a dremel. They were sharp.

Thanks DaveyJ. I did a web search and that was the brand that kept coming up.

Sure beats stuffing a flip flop underneath to keep it open.
I use the flip flops to keep the bow seat in place.

That’s what I use at the bow and stern gates.

Back