Gauge Upgrade

DaveyJ

Reaction score
Well I went ahead and replaced my tachometer with a multi-function gauge this weekend. I've posted a couple of times asking questions about this in the past couple of weeks and finally took the plunge. Basically, my boat had a tach with hourmeter, trim gauge and gas gauge. My tach would occasionally show higher than actual RPM's (based on previous experience) which made me look for a better solution. I ended up purchasing a Lowrance LMF-400 multi-function gauge which was a perfect size replacement for my tach. Yamaha outboards (even without Command Link) put out quite of bit of engine data including oil pressure, temp, voltage, hours, etc. via NMEA 2000 network.

If my chart plotter had been NMEA 2000 compatible, I could have performed this upgrade for around $150 but since I had to buy the gauge, I'm into it around $350. The components needed for the upgrade are the Lowrance Yamaha adapter cable which plugs into the motor and outputs into a standard NMEA 2000 connection and a NMEA 2000 starter kit (these components came with my gauge). There are other nicer multi-function gauges out there but I think the LMF-400 will work for me. People have had issues with the LMF-400 washing out in direct sunlight but I run with the bimini up 95% of the time and my windshield overhangs my instruments by several inches so my instrument panel doesn't see much direct sun. Additionally, since it's in the tach location, I'm looking directly at it. I can see where off angle viewing could be an issue. The toughest part of the install was running the cables under the boat due to limited space and doing the work by myself. One interesting note is I found my motor had about 8 less hours than the meter on the tach showed. Apparently the key had been left on at some point. I took pics of the install below with the components labeled and provided a list of the NMEA 2000 engine data put out by Yamaha outboards. Thanks to tcpip95 for providing additional info on the NMEA 2000 network install. This is a fairly easy inexpensive install for Yamaha outboard owners who want a little more insight into how their engine is running.

Attachments

• Gauge.jpg
    Gauge.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 197
  • Plug Cable Connection.jpg
    Plug Cable Connection.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 188
  • Cable Route.jpg
    Cable Route.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 189
  • NMEA 2000 Network.jpg
    NMEA 2000 Network.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 193
  • Yamaha Motor Outputs.JPG
    Yamaha Motor Outputs.JPG
    56 KB · Views: 175
Last edited:
Very nice! And I'm sure someone down the road will definitely find the install pics very useful! Thanks!

Good job, thanks for sharing.

Great info, thanks for sharing

Nice work and thanks for documenting.

That looks really good. Does the guage have different displays? Like if you just wanted to veiw it as a tach? Or half tach and half other info?

That looks really good. Does the guage have different displays? Like if you just wanted to veiw it as a tach? Or half tach and half other info?
Yes, there are lots of options - quad analog (in pic), dual analog, single analog, quad digital, dual digital, and single digital. I currently have the following pages programmed in addition to the page pictured: single analog tach, single digital hour meter, dual analog tach/temp, dual digital tach/fuel flow, and quad digital tach/fuel flow/oil pressure/temp.

That is really making me want to do this upgrade now! So the only thing not included with the guage was the Yamaha adapter?

That is really making me want to do this upgrade now! So the only thing not included with the guage was the Yamaha adapter?
And the chrome bezel which is a Suzuki part. Suzuki SMIS gauges are rebranded Lowrance. Lowrance doesn’t have a chrome bezel but Suzuki does. I bought the gauge and adapter cable on Amazon and the bezel on eBay. I can post links later.....

Thanks for the links! I do have a Humminbird Helix 7 that I think is nmea 2000 compatible but need to verify that. The new guage you did looks cooler than using the fish finder though!

Took a pic when prop testing the other day and it shows the visibility of the gauge in direct sunlight so I thought I would post it since that has been a concern with this gauge.

Attachments

• 8270BA03-F51E-49DC-BB94-BF154247A8D1.jpeg
    8270BA03-F51E-49DC-BB94-BF154247A8D1.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 96
I have been busy with other projects and haven't gotten around to this yet. The one thing I realized is my guages are recessed and I'm not sure this would fit. Maybe it would and I'd just not use the trim ring? The pic is what I have for a dash.
Screenshot_20180914-093156.png

The diameter of the outside of the trim ring on the Lowrance is basically identical to that of the stock tach. I found a pic of my stock dash online and it shows how the stock tach fits the round bumpout on the dash. If you compare that to the how the Lowrance fits, you can see there's almost no difference in diameter. The big difference is the how far the gauge will stick out of or fill the recess. Note in the pic how much it sticks out in comparison to the stock gauges. The gauge can't be installed without the trim ring as that is what holds the buttons in place, etc.

Attachments

• DSCN8475_zpshmxhvax9.jpg
    DSCN8475_zpshmxhvax9.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 44
Back