GCW gauge package

Wild and Free

Reaction score
Just wanted to vent. My 07 2275 GL had a nicer gauge package than my new much more expensive 2250 GCW ESP. But I'm disappointed with the gauge package. Old boat had trim, tach, Volt meter, fuel and hour meter.

My new one in minus the hour meter which is supposed to be standard according to the sales literature, and doesn't have a volt meter.

Why would a nicer more expensive boat have less?

Being a diesel tech I need to see and monitor everything and more is better in the gauge department.

After seeing mine doesn't have an hour meter and it should I will be making a dash for the dealer when it comes out of storage to see what can be done to rectify this issue.

Every boat should have the same gauge setup as the R series IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you happen to have a picture of the gauges? On mine, the hours are digital at the bottom of the tach gauge. The compass heading is digital also at the bottom of the mph gauge. Gauge on far right has volts, trim, and fuel. See pic below:

Console.jpg

Sorry to hear you are bummed about some parts of your new boat.

Still, I have to admit, if you wanted features of the R series, why did you settle for a G series? In order for companies to offer models at a certain price point, something has to give. If BM provided all of the R features on every G, no one would buy an R.

I love the non-denting panels on the Q series; should I be disappointed when they don't come on the R series? No; if I want the Q series features, that's the boat to buy.

The G series has last year's R series console, which is a nice upgrade. That said, the '11 catalog (and the website) does list the hour meter as standard on the G series. In my experience, most catalogs print some kind of disclaimer in the book saying something to the effect that the spec printed are subject to change, although I didn't see that in the printed '11 catalog or website.

Here's what I suggest:

1. Bring this issue up with your dealer.

2. If you get no satisfaction, contact the factory. They want you as a lifelong customer so I expect they will address your issue just as they have others that have emerged here.

3. Keep us posted.

4. Enjoy your new boat; she sounds like a real beauty!

Just wanted to vent. My 07 2275 GL had a nicer gauge package than my new much more expensive 2275 GCW ESP. But the gauge package sucks. Old boat had trim, tach, Volt meter, fuel and hour meter.

My new one in minus the hour meter which is supposed to be standard according to the sales literature, and doesn't have a volt meter.

Why would a nicer more expensive boat have less?

Being a diesel tech I need to see and monitor everything and more is better in the gauge department.

After seeing mine doesn't have an hour meter and it should I will be making a dash for the dealer when it comes out of storage to see what can be done to rectify this issue.

Every boat should have the same gauge setup as the R series IMHO.

Mine has a small fuel gauge on one side a big tach in middle with no digital readout on it, and small trim gauge on other side.

What got my goat was when I saw the same gauge setup as posted above, literature does show the compass as an option but hour meter as standard on the 2011 model which I do not have on mine. I did order mine last July and it was built end of august beginning of september so it is one of the first off the line as a 2011 model.Which is probably the difference. But the dealer told me spercifically there would be no changes to it for the model year as per bennington.

Not much for all of the extra railing on the R series exterior panels, it would just make it a pain to clean around all of it. Gauges are the only thing I liked better but definately not worth several thousand more for those minor details.

Dealer said they quit offering the dentless panels as the color faded on them and they had other issues with them, if they still offered them I would have gotten them.

Will definately be getting the above posted gauge cluster if it will fit on my console one way or the other.

After looking at his console it is completely different than mine. But the gauge clusters look to be about the same size and shape so maybe team Benny can pipe in and let me know if they are interchangable and compatable wiring wise.

Here is a link to another forum with pics of my boat.

http://www.pontoonfo....php?f=5&t=6664

Ok so now I feel dumb and confused. Mine is a 2011 2250 GCW which they do not even list in the 2011 literature not a 2275 as I was typing and which is whats listed in the literature. They changed the model # after mine was built.

I must have a one and only 2011 2250 GCW ESP. Just my luck.

I think that what you desire is the gauge setup with the speedometer (GPS) This gets you the three large gauges. One is Speedometer. One is RPM and the third has trim, volts, fuel.

Mine has a small fuel gauge on one side a big tach in middle with no digital readout on it, and small trim gauge on other side.

What got my goat was when I saw the same gauge setup as posted above, literature does show the compass as an option but hour meter as standard on the 2011 model which I do not have on mine. I did order mine last July and it was built end of august beginning of september so it is one of the first off the line as a 2011 model.Which is probably the difference. But the dealer told me spercifically there would be no changes to it for the model year as per bennington.

Not much for all of the extra railing on the R series exterior panels, it would just make it a pain to clean around all of it. Gauges are the only thing I liked better but definately not worth several thousand more for those minor details.

Dealer said they quit offering the dentless panels as the color faded on them and they had other issues with them, if they still offered them I would have gotten them.

Will definately be getting the above posted gauge cluster if it will fit on my console one way or the other.
Hey Wild & Free, When we updated the model to a 2275GCW, the gauge package did change to what you see in the 2011 brochure. The newer hour meter read out is digital and is found at the bottom of the tach and the optional speedometer has a digital compass heading read out at the bottom. The information and specs pertaining to the 2250GCW, found in the 2010 brochure, would be what the dealer would have used to sell you your boat. Seems like your boat should match what you were expecting? We are sorry you are disappointed with the instrument cluster. The 2275GCW instrument cluster has a newer look, but the older version is made by the same supplier and functions just the same! You could, in theory, replace the instruments, but it would require replacing the entire console cap, wiring, switches, etc., and would likely be cost prohibitive at best. We imagine it's like buying a new car and having the next version come out 30 days later...you still love your car, but...

This may be a dumb question, but...

Does the hourmeter function just when the motor is actually running or does it also function when the ignition is turned to operate accessories?

The hourmeter runs when the ignition is on whether the engine is running or not. If it runs when it is in an acc. position (if you have one on your switch) it is wired wrong.

Wild & free - Why not just add those gauges, I am thinking about doing that on my boat.

Wild & free - Why not just add those gauges, I am thinking about doing that on my boat.
If I can find some that match the factory gauges and some way of mounting them that looks appealing and looks like they fit the pattern and not some generic mount system that doesn't match anything and cheezes up the whole thing I will probably do it. I want a water pressure gauge also. If I were a marine engine manufacturer there would be no warranty on any engine if the boat didn't have a water pressure gauge. just my opinion from being a diesel tech my whole career. There is no such thing as too much info when monitoring a piece of equipment.

Being an auto tech I agree with most everything you are saying, you can't monitor your engine too much. As for adding the gauges to the existing panel so that they look stock is not going to happen. This is one of the reasons I have not done it yet. My latest plan is to add vertical gauge pod to the right side of the helm next to the fence. Old school - yes, cheezy - possibly, but I really want a voltmeter for each battery and a hourmeter. I had a water pressure gauge on a previous outboard ski boat and it is an excellent gauge, but it has to be monitored by ALL drivers very regularly. My ex wife was pulling me on a ski and she ran over a thick plastic bag which covered the intakes. I noticed a problem when the boat lost power and started to smoke. I let go and by the time she got back to me extensive damage had been done to the engine. My pontoon has a low tech 2 stroke outboard that has a overheat warning horn. It goes off at a low enough temp that you can stop and clear the intake (usally weeds)before any damage is done.

My ex wife was pulling me on a ski and she ran over a thick plastic bag which covered the intakes. I noticed a problem when the boat lost power and started to smoke. I let go and by the time she got back to me extensive damage had been done to the engine.
Grounds for divorce in my book! ;)

No, she was crazy (bi polar). If she could drive a straight line and watch the speedo to keep a constant speed she was doing good. No offense to women but they are hard on the equipment and don't pay attention to gauge readings and engine stuff. It would be like asking me to pick out material for curtains, the best I could do is veto the really bad stuff.

No, she was crazy (bi polar). If she could drive a straight line and watch the speedo to keep a constant speed she was doing good. No offense to women but they are hard on the equipment and don't pay attention to gauge readings and engine stuff. It would be like asking me to pick out material for curtains, the best I could do is veto the really bad stuff.
Ahh, the batshat crazy ones. I know the type.

In college my wife badly overheated her (parents') car. She heard the racket and turned up the radio! Sheesh. And she wonders why I don't let her drive the boats.

As for curtains, the only thing I know for sure is that if there are some really bad choices..... those are the ones I'd pick! :D

Yeah the crazy ones,but sometimes they can be a lot of fun. My current wife (not crazy) and son sometimes break stuff so fast I cant't keep up fixing it. Could be that it just part of being a dad.

Being an auto tech I agree with most everything you are saying, you can't monitor your engine too much. As for adding the gauges to the existing panel so that they look stock is not going to happen. This is one of the reasons I have not done it yet. My latest plan is to add vertical gauge pod to the right side of the helm next to the fence. Old school - yes, cheezy - possibly, but I really want a voltmeter for each battery and a hourmeter. I had a water pressure gauge on a previous outboard ski boat and it is an excellent gauge, but it has to be monitored by ALL drivers very regularly. My ex wife was pulling me on a ski and she ran over a thick plastic bag which covered the intakes. I noticed a problem when the boat lost power and started to smoke. I let go and by the time she got back to me extensive damage had been done to the engine. My pontoon has a low tech 2 stroke outboard that has a overheat warning horn. It goes off at a low enough temp that you can stop and clear the intake (usally weeds)before any damage is done.
The Problem is having a warning buzzer beeper chime ect, and not a warning light, idiot light or some other form of visual warning. I am hearing impaired 75% loss in one ear 30% loss in other ear and can not hear most beepers buzzers chimes ect ect especially when the wind is blowing by your head. Visual warnings are and should be a must on all forms of equipment. But I guess common sense is a thing of the past.

Good point, since you are a diesel tech I would think you would have the skills to tie into the buzzer circuit and add a red light on your dash to warn you of an overheat problem. What do you think of a gauge pod between the helm and the fence, only the driver could see it? Too cheezy?

Back