Get water in bilge on Bennington 22foot I/O

Not any in mine. How much?
I think so. Hard to tell but boat is only a few years old. Seems
to have more after tubing or zig zagging. Have had some when boat is at rest at dock but mostly when we take the grandchildren tubing. This is my second I/O and the first one did the same thing.
P.S. You have a great looking boat!

Okay. .....the same thing happened to our I/O when we lived in Virginia. At the end of the day we would put our boat back on the trailer and unscrew the bilge plug and water would drain out for what seemed like minutes. We actually took a mechanic out from our marina and he diagnosed the problem after a few minutes. There is a speedometer pick up tube/hose that runs from the outdrive to the back of the speedometer through the engine compartment/bilge. There was a slit or small hole in the tube and it was bringing water into the bilge big time! We drove the boat back to the dock and he replaced it. We were thinking the worse. Was there a hole in the engine compartment? Was it leaking from the manifolds? All kinds of stuff goes through your mind. But in this particular instance it was the speedometer pick up tube.....

What year and model boat and motor do you have?

Okay. .....the same thing happened to our I/O when we lived in Virginia. At the end of the day we would put our boat back on the trailer and unscrew the bilge plug and water would drain out for what seemed like minutes. We actually took a mechanic out from our marina and he diagnosed the problem after a few minutes. There is a speedometer pick up tube/hose that runs from the outdrive to the back of the speedometer through the engine compartment/bilge. There was a slit or small hole in the tube and it was bringing water into the bilge big time! We drove the boat back to the dock and he replaced it. We were thinking the worse. Was there a hole in the engine compartment? Was it leaking from the manifolds? All kinds of stuff goes through your mind. But in this particular instance it was the speedometer pick up tube.....

Thanks so much. My Bennington dealer is about 100 miles away so I will try to find where the tube enters and follow it. You gave me some relief! Hope that is the issue and I will check that out when we get the boat in the water around the 15th of April. We really love our I/O ! This is our second one. Thanks again! I would have never thought of that.
Warm regards,
Glenn Whited

We have only had 2 boats. A bowrider and our current Benny. Both w 4.3L V6. First one was carbureted and was 190 hp. This one is fuel injected and 220 hp. It's the only motor we ever had. We are open to getting an outboard in the future but we are going on our 12th season w this I/O.....

The I/O handles better. Just my opinion.
Having test drove our 25 Q with both an IO and an outboard here at LOTO I would have to agree. Handles the rough water a bit better especially, possibly given the extra weight? Also like having the duo prop on the IO.

Everybody always tells me that my I/O is really heavy. But some of those big outboards are up there too! A 300 hp Yamaha weighs about 600 lbs.

Back