Getting a custom enclosure made

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
I figure I ought to start a thread for this rather than continue to hijack Toooncrazy's thread about adding more shade to his boat. 

Per the conversation in that thread, I've been looking at getting a custom camper enclosure made for my boat. My idea was that it could be put up in sections so that I could only put up what I want/need for the conditions. I only sleep in a tent when necessary so the enclosure would be used in a similar way. I imagine putting up a panel or two during storms to keep the rain from coming in sideways but then leaving the other side open so we can still sit on the boat and enjoy the scenery. Or being able to put one panel up to shade the interior from the late evening sun on a hot day. Bugs are never a problem where I camp so there's no need to totally enclose it other than rain and wind. 

I talked to a local canvas shop and they quoted me $2100 for a full enclosure with a mix of sunbrella fabric and clear vinyl. It's up to me how much clear and how much solid I want. I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on it, but I don't want to miss anything. What do you guys think of the price? And what about the windows? Does anyone have any experience with how that clear vinyl holds up over time? I'm inclined to go with less because of that but then I think it could be pretty nice to have lots of light in there during cool weather trips and storms. And what about the bimini frame, would it be worth extending that to get more of a square-ish shaped enclosure? Will the swooping walls be bothersome if I only use the existing bimini? Any tips or advice, especially from those with enclosures is much appreciated. 

side-shade.jpg

This is a pic the canvas guy sent me of an enclosure he made last year with a lot of that clear vinyl. 

cover-front.jpg

The ratio of clear windows vs subrella may have a big influence on your price.  As for material costs, the Sunbrella is about $25/yd at 60" wide, while the window material is about $175 for a sheet just a little bigger than a piece of plywood.  You should inquire as to the brand and thickness of the window material he intends to use.  I would recommend a .040 mm thickness.

The $2100 sounds like a fair price. 

I have not yet build my full enclosure, as that job will likely be a year or two out, but I have been looking at materials for its construction.  I would recommend that you think about increasing your bimini length before the enclosure is fitted and made.

All of the enclosures that I have seen consist of several panels.  This feature will allow only the pieces needed to be put up.

Good Luck!

Thanks, Dan. I'll check on the brand and thickness. How well does that window material hold up over the years? 

I'd need to add a second bimini in order to increase the length, right?

Last edited by a moderator:
I just purchased my new bennington and I went with  the 1/2 enclosure.  I need it because our cabin is on an island and the weather can be tough.   It was about 2000 for it so if the full was about 2000 that would be a pretty good deal.  Did that include the 2nd bimini that is needed for a full enclosure?

Would like to hear from others on their experience with enclosures.  I was tied up with a pontoon at the Sand Island Bash last year and he had a full enclosure.  I asked him about it and went on board his boat.  He had it opened as much as possible but it was still hot inside.  He told me that it gives him an extra 3 weeks of boating both early and late for the season.  I then asked why he didn't take it off and put it back on and he relied that he did when he first got it but after a few years it shrunk some and it is so hard to get back on he decided to just leave it on.  Is this others experience as well?

The canvas guy said that my quote was for 30g double-polished clear vinyl. He said I could upgrade to O'Sea or Strataglass but that he doesn't think it's worth doing since I'm not leaving it up all the time. He said no problem on manufacturing it to look like this one that I like (with the exception of it not covering the back: http://canvascraftinc.com/sites/all/themes/canvas/images/boatCover/pontoon/large/26.jpg

The thought of it shrinking over time and not fitting freaks me out a bit. I wonder how common that is. I would never want to leave this on except for when I actually need it for the weather. 

I am in the same boat bcpnick.  The thought of spending a few thousand to eke out a few more weeks start and end of summer started to make sense but I would only want it when I needed it.  Wonder how many have enclosures?  Hope a few with enclosures comments

Seems like that's a lot of side loading in heavy wind. On the normal full enclosures do they add supports for the Bimini? A storm snuck up on us once and I thought it was going to bend the Bimini.

I'm dropping the boat off at the canvas shop next week to get the enclosure made. I've been trying to think of any other features that would be worth adding. So far it'll be mostly on all sides with doors at the bow and stern gates. I'm wondering how much I'll wish some of those windows would open up. Or maybe at least one that opens where I store my cooler on the aft deck. Anyone have thoughts on features you'd want in an enclosure like that?

Thanks!

Oh, and I'm finally going to have a towing cover after this is all done! Woohoo! 

One thing to consider, too many windows might dissuade the Mrs. from proving the "Motion of the Ocean" theory! Haha

bcpnick, are you planning on putting it on awhen needed and taking it off or leaving it on all the time?  I would think plenty of windows with screens is a must or it you will roast in the oven

Just purchased 24 scx with the slant front enclosure,keeps me warm and out of wind,problem is rain leaks thru all window seams and everything gets wet.hoping dealer will fix this.

One thing to consider, too many windows might dissuade the Mrs. from proving the "Motion of the Ocean" theory! Haha
We've been talking about whether it would be adequate privacy with all the windows. The thing is, we usually can't even see other people from where we tie the boat up. Sometimes we can but they're usually far enough that I still feel just fine leaving the swimsuit on the boat when it's just the wife and I. :D   We were thinking an easy way to keep lots of windows but deploy some privacy if needed would be to have a couple of flat sheets and clamps inside Just hang them up as needed, which would probably be almost never. I was thinking about having them build in some covers for the windows but it seems like that would add a lot of canvas. I'm hoping to keep this thing somewhat minimal to keep it small and easy to deploy, but not too minimal. 

bcpnick, are you planning on putting it on awhen needed and taking it off or leaving it on all the time?  I would think plenty of windows with screens is a must or it you will roast in the oven
Definitely leaving it off most of the time. Putting it on only for storms and wind events while we're camping. If the weather was good it would never come out. I'm especially excited to drive it around during the monsoon rain events at Lake Powell. Huge waterfalls form all over the place when those hit in the summer time. Some upwards of 700-1000 feet tall. 

Just purchased 24 scx with the slant front enclosure,keeps me warm and out of wind,problem is rain leaks thru all window seams and everything gets wet.hoping dealer will fix this.
That's a real bummer. I'm getting mine done by a custom canvas shop. I hope they do better than that. 

Velcro is your friend! A couple bed sheets with velcro tabs sewn on and get some velcro sewn into the cover at the 4 corners of windows, doesn't need to be heavy canvas, just something to smear the show! Haha

It's done and I am so stoked about how it turned out! I just dropped by the canvas shop to take a look. They have a few little things to finish it up, but it's basically finished and I'll be taking it to Lake Powell for 5 days starting this weekend to put it to the test. Looks like a couple of tropical storms are going to send a plume of moisture right our way and more flash floods are in the forecast. Can't wait to start chasing waterfalls from inside this thing!

Here's a link to about 8 photos. Google's new photos thing changed the way they store files so I can no longer hotlink them here.

More photos: https://goo.gl/photos/rv1wc4Wqp9VUV87cA

pontoon-enclosure.JPG

pontoon-enclosure-back.JPG

Nice ! You're gonna need a lot of plastic cleaner and polish.     :D

Uh oh. I didn't even think of that. What do you guys use on clear vinyl? I don't think I'll have it up much, just during storms, so hopefully that will help keep it from getting too bad. 

Uh oh. I didn't even think of that. What do you guys use on clear vinyl? I don't think I'll have it up much, just during storms, so hopefully that will help keep it from getting too bad. 
The challenge is when it gets dust and dirt on it and you wipe that off. Just like a car surface, it puts fine scratches in it every time.

The folks here coming from big cruiser type boats should be able to help with some solutions.

Back