getting new toons logs upgrade questions

vdpsc

Reaction score
End of the season storm badly damaged both of my logs. Rest of the boat is fine. 2006 2250 RL. I want to know if I can upgrade to an SPS or ESP performance set of toons since mine are going to be replaced. Boat was originally two 25 inch toons w/o strakes. I am figuring this is a good opportunity to upgrade.

I would think so but a call to Bennington may be in order. There would be more to it that bolting on the toons. Fuel tank relocation, re hanging the motor, adding underdeck wave shields etc. I would check it out for sure though if I was you. Putting SPS if ESP under the deck would be like your grandmother getting a hip replaced. You love her the way she is, but she could use some better manuverability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or start with your dealer, as they have to purchase the parts for you. Maybe they can give you insight into if it's even feasible. Are you doing it or are you having dealer do it.?

Factory will likely kick you back to a dealer as a starting place. They don't really deal with customers directly..... at least at first.

Is a big job as both the SPS and ESP have a built in transom.  However, if ever want to do it now is the time.  Questions I would ask is; What size motor do you currently have as IMO it wouldn't make sense to upgrade if you have 1 60hp motor unless you are willing to go all in and do the motor as well? How long you plan on keeping this Benny?  It will add to your enjoyment and even if you are not keeping it will add to the resale value

I'd go SPS if you can. ESP wouldn't be worth the extra expense in my opinion with a 150.

Also, my photos below show the sps 200 package with salt water and rough water package.

Last edited by a moderator:
better consider adding  seastar at minimum and probably want hydraulic as well.  Truthfully as the cost of after market prices you may find it more economical to be stricker by PADS.

Gentleman, we have our first infliction of the year

Add motor, add SPS, add hydraulic steering, add underdeck sheeting.  It goes on and on.  It seems like throwing good money after bad money.

Have you considered asking that the boat be totaled out, taking the $ and buying a brand new boat?

It doesn't make sense to total the boat. They won't give me much more than what they are paying for the repair. A comparable boat new is big bucks. With new toons my boat will look nearly new. I'm handy so I can do the work myself. All of the holes are in the deck already. I also live close enough to Bennington to go pick up the parts myself. This frees up some money toward upgrades.

I'll be curious to see what you do. I think you'll have the first resto-mod Bennington pontoon if you can pull it off. If I had a boat out of warranty and some insurance funds I would do all I could with them.  

I also live close enough to Bennington to go pick up the parts myself. This frees up some money toward upgrades.
Not real sure the factory will do that. You can ask, but once again, as a regular business practice, the factory deals with dealers, not customer direct.

Have you talked to a dealer?

I screwed up I meant the PSP or Express Tube as an add on. I looked at the ESP and that would be way more money and more work than I am willing to tackle. The express tube looks like an incredibly simple upgrade. But it looks like it sits nose hi. New outer logs with lifting strakes on the inside seem like a no brainer. Those are already going to be replaced. I guess I'm wondering if anybody has added a full third toon. If they have I can add one with strakes then I will basically have a PSP hull.

As Mark stated above .the SPS has a built in transom .You best way to go as far as cost is the Express 

Express would be a perfect choice with the 150. Easy DIY installation too.

I can't remember who, but someone here added an express tube.... search for that thread.

Back