Going for a test drive! Need help making up my mind

Vans_World

Reaction score
Hello All,

Been looking at Pontoons for a couple of years. Keep coming back to Bennington so decided to take a test drive this Friday on a 2575 RCW with ESP Performance Package and a Yamaha F150. With myself and the dealer in the boat I would think it would run really well, but with 7 or 8 adults I wonder if the F150 is enough engine???

Also I read that most people are ordering their boats. Does it cost more if you do that or do you think you get a MUCH better deal if you buy one that the dealer already has?

I would definately go with a 250 on that boat. I have a 150 on mine and wish I had a 225.

Hello All,

Been looking at Pontoons for a couple of years. Keep coming back to Bennington so decided to take a test drive this Friday on a 2575 RCW with ESP Performance Package and a Yamaha F150. With myself and the dealer in the boat I would think it would run really well, but with 7 or 8 adults I wonder if the F150 is enough engine???

Also I read that most people are ordering their boats. Does it cost more if you do that or do you think you get a MUCH better deal if you buy one that the dealer already has?
Always get the most engine you can afford when you buy. a 250, especially one of the new high output ones that actually put out more power are a good value. Don't overlook the modern two-strokes... They ain't your Daddy's oldsmo... er, outboard.

150hp will make that boat a fun and great handling runabout. 250-300 will make it a real performance boat.

I have never heard anyone say they wish they had bought a smaller engine.

Hope this helps.

andy

Always get the most engine you can afford when you buy. a 250, especially one of the new high output ones that actually put out more power are a good value. Don't overlook the modern two-strokes... They ain't your Daddy's oldsmo... er, outboard.

150hp will make that boat a fun and great handling runabout. 250-300 will make it a real performance boat.
I have been reading the posts on this site for several days and you seem to have a lot of knowledge on these boats. Glad you responded. With a price tag getting close to 60k I want to just be sure I am making the right choices. The price really jumps from the 150 to 200. About 5K but only about 1K for the 225 and another 1k for the 250??? My main use will be pulling people on tubes.

What'd be nice is if the dealer had two boats setup--one with a 150 hp and one with a 200-250 hp model. Now, that would be a real demo.

When you take the test ride, pay close attention to the acceleration. And, see if top speed is high enough on such a large boat.

My boat has an older 115 hp 2 stroke Yamaha, and acceleration is very strong. The 4 stroke 115 hp motors just don't seem to have the oomph--get up and go--but top end is good.

It all comes down to how you're going to use the boat. You may be pulling small kids on tubes today, but if they're going to grow into water skis, more horsepower may be needed.

I have a tendency to go toward the maximum horsepower allowed, but I drive a little aggressive. If the dealer is a Mercury dealer, the 150 hp Optimax 2 stroke is 165 prop horsepower, and it may do a better job than the same horsepower 4 stroke. Fuel mileage is not really that much different, as none of them really do that good over 115 hp.

Enjoy the ride!

Van,

I was asking that same question last year before purchasing my 2275 RCW. The dealer had one in stock with the 150 and it ran ok. We do a lot of tubing and skiing so I knew more power would my best option. With 7-8 passengers along with your tubing enthusiasts, you will appreciate the higher hp engines if you can swing it. Lastly, there will never be a better time than now to get the power plant right.

Back