Good anchor recommendations

lostpacket

Reaction score
The one the marina include with our boat is horrible. If we can get it to set (which is rare) it doesn't hold our 21'. We usually anchor around sandy areas but I would like it to work in much too. Any recommendations?

The one the marina include with our boat is horrible. If we can get it to set (which is rare) it doesn't hold our 21'. We usually anchor around sandy areas but I would like it to work in much too. Any recommendations?
What type of anchor do you have?

How are you “setting” it. Your scope should be 7-10 times your depth.
What type is of anchor is it?
We have a “Navy” anchor and it holds pretty well with probably a 6-7 scope.

B55C0E4A-EC6D-4432-BEF2-CE6FC44F22BF.jpeg D4AA249D-5EB7-46A0-952F-25605C42435C.jpeg

We love our small box anchor. There are many previous posts on them. Also check out the video on their website. Pretty impressive. Works just like on the video. Only drawback I see is that it sometimes pulls up a bunch of mud when pulling it up, but usually able to shake it off. Our boat does not move at all with it!

We love our small box anchor. There are many previous posts on them. Also check out the video on their website. Pretty impressive. Works just like on the video. Only drawback I see is that it sometimes pulls up a bunch of mud when pulling it up, but usually able to shake it off. Our boat does not move at all with it!
Also, only need about 2:1 scope to hold. (line:depth)

Slide anchor. I switched from a fluke to small slide this year and it has worked much better. I have only used in sand.

Slide anchor and the only thing you have to do is throw it overboard

I've had great luck with a Fortress fluke style anchor. While it does cost more, it's lightweight, small and has exceptional holding power in our sand/gravel/organic bottomed lake. It doesn't require much scope and is a "throw it in and let it be" type anchor.

I 2nd the Richter. I've been using it for 10 years or so and it's been great!

Anchor placement is always important! We went with a box anchor although a little heavy for my wife to drag up.

Attachments

• IMG_3884.JPG
    IMG_3884.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 31
As has been said the bottom and scope are important when choosing an anchor. Most pontoon owners are not going to be laying in the lee of an island riding out a hurricane so the concerns may be different but always go with good proven tackle for the conditions in which you cruise which includes the correct rode, shackles and chain.

They work for me ,no issues at all .I am in a sand bottom

I’ve got a fortress, super light , holds our 21’ rock solid. Plus has
Lifetime warranty

They work for me ,no issues at all .I am in a sand bottom
They do hold in sand just fine. The lower Colorado is a mixture. Some areas are sandy bottom, others are rock. And some are grass.

I've never had an issue with my Slide Anchor losing grip on Lake Havasu.

Back