Good anchor recommendations

I've never had an issue with my Slide Anchor losing grip on Lake Havasu.
I love their products. We have Shore spike, Danick hook, But I’ve had issues using 2 of theirs multiple times. They don’t work in Copper Canyon, don’t hold in flag pole cove. They work perfect at the sand bar and to secure while beached somewhere.

For my money a Danforth anchor with chain and rode is the only way to go!

I DISAGREE. I use 2 box anchors to try and secure my boat. They dont hold my 25QSB!!! Have had several occasions where I used one on the bow and one on the stern and they didnt hold!

Switched to a 16lb danforth anchor with 10' of chain. Haven't had any issues since...[/QU

Our small box anchor holds our 25 Q very well. I think it depends a lot on the type of bottom. Our Lake bottom is mostly mudd, at least is that what I pull up with the anchor!

As said before each anchor is made for a specific situation or bottom and no one size fits all.
However, some proven anchors will work in more situations than others. Look at different articles on anchors and you will see holding power in different types of bottoms for different anchor makes or types. The right anchor, rode and chain will ride out a hurricane and not pull out....

Keithz was having trouble with his box anchors and he called the company. He was using the wrong type of anchor line.
RodEarl74, call the company and explain what is happening.

Keithz was having trouble with his box anchors and he called the company. He was using the wrong type of anchor line.
RodEarl74, call the company and explain what is happening.
slide anchor sold me the Line with the anchor!

I would suggest calling them and tell them that the anchor is not holding. What is their remedy.

I did post this in another thread about anchors. The lake that I am on has a thick mud bottom. After trying out several different types of anchors I finally found one that works better than the rest for my situation. I use a 20 lb. River anchor. It sinks deep into the mud and then holds well. Occasionally on extremely windy days, I have had to drop a second River Anchor overboard. Other anchors didn't have anything to bite into, so they didn't hold well. Since a pontoon boat sits so high on the water, I have found that it moves around a bit with the wind when anchored

Our area is mostly mud as well. I carry a small box anchor and a river anchor (I think mine is in the 12 - 15 lb class). Most of the time I use the river anchor since it is so easy to deploy, clean off, and put away. If I want to be absolutely sure of the hold (such as when I'm closer to shore or in a crowded area), I use the box anchor.

Was in a cove today with a rocky bottom and the box anchor held like a champ. So now I've found it works in mud and rocky bottoms. Very pleased with the results.

I just got one of these, used from Craigslist. 14 lb version. For my 24 footer. Another boater here on Lake Travis found it, thinks it got cut off by another boater. It was found in an area that is very popular with the "tie up and get drunk" crowd... Anchor line was just floating in the water, frayed on the end. He grabbed it and pulled up the prize.

Had one of those stupid 3 foot plastic coated chains on it. I bought 10' of good heavy chain today. I rigged it to pull up by the head if it gets stuck, cable tied to the shank.

Much better than the piece of junk that was on my boat when I got it. PVC coated 8 pound danforth, that was bent.

I haven't tried it yet, but it should work well. Our bottom is sand and rocks.

lew-57404_lg__81912.1469113305.1280.1280.jpg

gigem,
The Delta can be a very good anchor especially with a good amount of chain. Will hold in most bottoms and will dig into soft bottoms well. Do put a safely wire on your shackle pin to keep from losing your shackle. An anchor is not something to skimp on. Think of the value of your boat and then decide if it is worth saving 50 or so bucks on an anchor.
There are whole chapters on anchors and what is best for each bottom type in Chapmans and other books. Again not something to skimp on.

Lockite and cable ties will work if you do not intend to change anchors with changing conditions. However, that is not a big deal with pontoons which are not meant to be used for ocean cruising. Keepers on the shackle pins are something most calm water boaters do not think about.. Good Call....

Absolutely thrilled with my Richter anchor. Does great in windy conditions as well. Weighs in at 25 lbs. but there are different sizes available.

View attachment 23295
We use the 18lb Richter for our 22' and have had no problems, also have a friend tie up to us occasionally.

Back