Got a really UGLY curve ball thrown at me today

She is.  We came back home on Monday, and she went in for surgery Tuesday morning.  She's going through all of her PT now (about 4 weeks in to PT).  She's hatin' life right now, but is the "poster child for PT" - she really works hard at it.  It's killin' her that she can't ride her jet ski until the shoulder's 100% again LOL

Blondie is "All Madden".  Back in Feb. we had some family coming to town.  We were going to trailer the boat down to Key Largo for a long weekend.  The night before we left, I dropped the hound off at the dog sitter.  While I'm doing that I get a phone call.  She tripped over my computer bag in my office, fell and fractured her shoulder in 3 places.  She made it to the phone and dialed 911.  They came and took her to the hospital.  I get to the hospital, and told her don't worry, I'll call the family that we won't be able to join them down in Largo.  "Bulls*it!" she says.  "I've got a broken shoulder, and they're not going to be able to operate for at least a few days.  If I've gotta be miserable, I'd rather be miserable down in The Keys".  I told her ok, but we won't bother trailering the boat down.  "No, let's take the boat so that I can at least enjoy the scenery".  So we trailered the boat down (4 hours in the truck), and proceeded to load her up with Vicodin.  She was in a lot of pain, but she didn't really let on because she didn't want to ruin it for the family that came down from up north.

She's awesome!

I think you have a girl that likes the boat as much as you do! I know what that's like,my girl will drop everything if there's a chance to go out on the boat.

Hopefully the shoulder and boat will be given a good go ahead at the same time. Besides,who would want to miss a good time with the family and the boat. They go hand in hand.

You're a rocker Blondie. TC, minding your P's & Q's i'll bet, my money would be on her.  Did you get her the little bell for when she needs an iced tea.  Get well. 

Great news! Seems like those fixes should do the job and you'll enjoy many more hours out of that boat.

Tough cookie. Sounds like she could have handled your pontoon holes problem for you along with the broken shoulder. 

And I bet you don't leave your crap lying around anymore...

If my wife broke her shoulder tripping over my crap on the floor I'd be in pt for a broken neck! 

Blondie is a trooper! 

If my wife broke her shoulder tripping over my crap on the floor I'd be in pt for a broken neck! 

Blondie is a trooper! 

Well, in fairness she was in No Man''s Land (my office ) when it happened.   She did the other shoulder two years ago.  When she did it this time I asked the surgeon if he had a "Frequent Fracture Program"  and said we're saving up for a free hip replacement  :D

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading through this topic; it made me a little nervous. I am new to owning a tritoon or should I say I have one on order and had the saltwater package put on. I will be trailering my boat and plan to put in in fresh water and head out to the Gulf. Is this electrolysis something I need to worry about or is it primarily if you always leave boat in water?  I apologize if this is a dumb question, but really got me thinking. 

Thanks 

Don't park near a live wire. Otherwise, you'll be fine.  Check the annodes occasionally.

You should be fine. If you have a good distance to return in fresh water, a rinse off shouldn't even be necessary. 

The only concern with electrolysis is if you are keeping the boat in the water for any length of time.  If you are doing so, you need to pay attention to what type of water it is being kept in, then use the appropriate sacrificial anodes.  Additionally, if kept in a slip with electrical power being nearby, you need to periodically test for stray current.

Otherwise, as Kaydano said, just check the anodes occasionally. 

If you bought the Saltwater Series, the anodes will most likely be zinc.  Zinc is fine for saltwater, but if you're in brackish water you'll want aluminum anodes.  If in fresh water, you'll want magnesium anodes - HOWEVER - there seems to be a caveat to "never mix magnesium anodes with aluminum anodes".  Since our boats are by design made of aluminum, I think we need to get some direction from Bennington on the use of magnesium with our boats.  Here's a good article on anodes.

http://www.defender.com/html/zincs_info.html

I have the saltwater package on my boat but use it in fresh water only. Am I in trouble?

Going on our 4th season with it. It's stored on a lift when not in use. I wish someone would have told us about this. I thought we would be good to go.

I called and left a voicemail for someone at Bennington. I'll share when I hear back.

Received a call back from Bennington and he said I am ok unless there is stray voltage. I guess they don't even put any anodes on the fresh water boats from the factory. He said to check for oxidation on mine but in the 14 years he's been there this has never come up or been an issue.

Received a call back from Bennington and he said I am ok unless there is stray voltage. I guess they don't even put any anodes on the fresh water boats from the factory. He said to check for oxidation on mine but in the 14 years he's been there this has never come up or been an issue.

This is the key part.  That's what the anodes will help you protect against.

I have the saltwater package on my boat but use it in fresh water only. Am I in trouble?

Am I missing something or would this not be an issue for you because your on a lift? I thought this is primarily an issue for wet slipped boats. Maybe I only half read something :lol: .

Yet another update:  I heard back from the guy doing the work on my boat.  The pontoons as they sit are in very bad shape.  There's nothing that he can do.  I'm going up the Saturday to pick up the boat.

Having said that, I found a metal fabrication company very nearby that have used TIG welding of a rolled aluminum  "bottom cap" to the form a "jacket" around the pontoons.  Apparently this problem that I have is not that unusual.  The damage is below the waterline, so what they do is roll aluminum and make a cap that fits over the existing pontoons and then weld that to the pontoon itself.  It's basically a sheet of aluminum that gets welded from "3 o'clock to 9 o'clock" the entire length of each of the pontoons.  It ends up forming a thicker bottom (the old pontoon + the new sheet of aluminum welded to it), which forms an airtight and watertight seal right on top of the old pontoons.  I will end up having a horizontal welding seam running the length of the pontoon (maybe I'll rename it Frankenton), but the boat will be safe and solid again.  I still need to discuss with the shop whether they can do the lifting strakes and performance foils (forgot to ask them when I spoke with them), but I don't believe that will be a big problem.  

So, sounds like it's going to be a few more weeks, but cost should be under $4,000 all told.

Thats weird, I was going to ask if something like that has ever been done, but kind of forgot about it when you were on track to get it fixed. 

Back