Got my boat but....

royal4

Reaction score
Got my boat Friday but had other plans over the weekend so I took it out today.  I was out about an hour then decided I wanted to take a longer ride but left the stereo head in the car. I went back to the dock and after getting the stereo head  from the car,  it wouldn't start!!  Battery 1 nothing, battery 2 nothing both batteries nothing... kind of a clicking sound like a dead battery.   WTF a brand new boat!!  I called the dealer which is about half hour away and took it back. They found during prep someone never tightented the main negative and positive wires going to the motor!!  Strange since the dealer took it for a test ride, the dealer and myself took it for a test drive and first day out DEAD.  I'm REALLY LUCKY as I could have been anywhere on the lake by myself on a weekday and it could have died then I would have been really PO'd.

One of the small ground wires the mechanic says are only used for salt water was smoking (plastic covering the wire melted a little) as the system was trying to use it to get a good ground.

Oh well.... not happy but sh*&^t happens... glad it seems fixed and hope it didn't damage anything else.

add:  when I say never tightened I mean really loose, looks like they finger started the negative bolt and got distracted and never touched it again... just dangling by a few threads.

IMG_07701.JPG

IMG_07721.JPG

IMG_07771.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, what a start with a new rig.  Hopefully all is well now.  Make sure the charging system is working.  I had similar event on a Merc and the voltage regulator was damaged and had to be replaced.  Good luck and enjoy your new boat.

Back