GPS FOR THE BOAT ANY SUGGESTIONS???

WANT NOT A NEED

Reaction score
Hello everyone just bought the boat and was looking at putting in a GARMIN 546S does any one have this set up? Or what would anybody recommend?? We are novice boaters.This is are first boat and also have never been on the water so BIG TIME rookies here. We were also thinking of putting a BBQ on it can some tell us the pros and cons and which BBQ they would suggest.

Thanks everyone we ware getting the itch to use the boat sucks to have it in the barn and just look at it

Rodney and Andrea

I installed a 431s on our toon last year and it does what I need it to do. The pics are in my gallery. You need to put your boat in your sig line.

Welcome Want Not a Need, I am also pretty much a rookie, that is why i wanted the GPS for safety. You will find this site so helpful for rookies like us. I had thge 531s installed and it was a very tight fit to the point the cover does not snap all the way shut. The 5" screen enables me to watch without my glasses. I also added the Garmin Lakes Maps SD but need to make sure your lake is listed

Don't have a GPS. However, I can suggest the Magma Kettle 2 grill. We use the grill nearly every trip and it works quite well. Also bought the shore stand and carrying case - the Magma grills are pricey but seem worth it so far.

Shawn

I currently have 2 Humminbird 787c2i's, and I absolutely love them. They are multi-tasking and just plain work. They have excellent GPS in the US and Canada, and are highly customizable. They don't make that particular model anymore, and the one closest to it is the 788ci, but I have been looking and the 386ciDI combo does the same stuff in a smaller package.

We have the 431s and it works perfectly. We really don't need it for our lake for navigation (grew up on this lake) but we have used it on a few river trips. I really wanted the 5 version, I like the larger screen but it didn't fit the console as well on our 2012 G model Bennie.

We looked at a few Humminbirds too but the area on our console the 431(s) fits perfectly, made to order.

Steve

I ordered a Garmin 521S with my Bennington and it does a wonderful job.

But our crusing area is the Florida Keys and it is easy to get in trouble among all the Mangroves. I downloaded an app (iBoat $4.95) to my iPad and find that more useful. It shows your track so it is easy to retract your route.

Of course the iPad does not show depth so the Garmin comes in handy.

I think your decision will be determined by the area in which you plan to boat.

I have the Garmin 541S and am very happy with it. Nice size screen, very easy to see. In addition to the GPS and sounder, it also is NMEA-2000 compatible so I was able to tie in my Yamaha F150 engine performance data in for just the price of the cabling (and a basic NMEA-2000 network). Works great.

Just an idea. Go to bass pro or the like. They have a bunch you can play with.

Back