GPS Help

Robotpedlr

Reaction score
I just ordered my 2017 22SXP with Yamaha F150.  I have a few days left before the window closes on changing options.  I am thinking about adding the fish finder (Garmin Striker 4 Fish Graph) as it is only $300 factory installed. 

Since I dont fish at all, I am wondering if it is the best choice for other information (depth, temp, etc).  Or should I skip that and add a better unit on my own after I take delivery.  Like one of the units that integrates / communicates with the NMEA 2000 network.  My assumption there is that it can pick up a lot of useful info (Fuel consumption, GPS Speed, etc etc) that maybe beneficial.  I would like it to be flush mounted and "factory" looking as opposed to an above dash bolt on. 

I guess another option is the Simrad GPS G05 which appears to have NMEA 2000 integration...but that is $900 for the factory installed option (anyone know where does are mounted when factory ordering it your build)?

Appreciate any feedback.

We don't fish either, but I upgraded ours to a Garmin 547XS, and am glad we have it. The big downside is you don't get the Bennington 10 year warranty. Here is a link to the installation thread Garmin 547XS upgrade

There is no NMEA2000 network standard, so you'd have to get the adapter for the Yamaha and a starter NMEA kit to integrate the new unit. In my case, I added a MercMonitor gauge/gateway to translate Mercury Smartcraft to NMEA. Yamaha uses NMEA natively, so it should be a bit easier.

Mercmonitor gateway install link is HERE. It's great for showing engine data on the GPS unit.

Thanks. Didnt know that the NMEA 2000 stuff was not already wired up for the Yamaha F150, but it sounds like an easy add on with the parts listed on the page you linked to. 

Does anyone know that if I get the Simrad GPS 05 factory installed, if that is already connected to NMEA2000?

Also - I read (in the link above) that you recommended to have Bennington run your transponder cable at the factory prior to installing the shielding.  Is that something the dealer arranges for you...?  Sounds like a great option.  Do I need to send them a cable, or just tell them to route an 8 wire cable (are they all the same)? 

Sorry about all the questions...a lot to learn about these boats.  But having fun so far :)

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't fish but wanted the GPS so we upgraded when we ordered. Although I paid more it was factory installed with everything in place plus has the Bennington warranty! I feel it's worth the little extra to make sure everything is good to go for the long term. If the new GPS option has the connections you need I'd go for it!

We don't fish but wanted the GPS so we upgraded when we ordered. Although I paid more it was factory installed with everything in place plus has the Bennington warranty! I feel it's worth the little extra to make sure everything is good to go for the long term. If the new GPS option has the connections you need I'd go for it!

Which unit (GPS) did you go with?  Garmin, Simrad or other?

Which unit (GPS) did you go with?  Garmin, Simrad or other?

We have the Garmin 50C (?) or D. It has all the functions except side scan. Again no pro with these units, but I can tell you I've followed it home in the dark more than once! 

ok, I think I settled on the factory installed Simrad GO5, so I dont have to run wire under the shielding to install a transducer.  Based on what I have read on here, I can run a NMEA 2000 from my Yamaha 150 to collect the data to display on the SIMRAD.

My question is to those that have done similar with the Yamaha.  Is there already a NMEA2000 cable from the Helm to the Battery box (under the Swingback lounger on the Port side).  Or at least some easy method to get the cable from the motor to the help so I can plug it into the Simrad.  I was hoping to avoid wiring issues by going with a factory installed GPS that supports NMEA2000 but didnt think about the connecting from the motor to that. 

I guess I have a couple of days left to delete the Simrad from the Order if it would be a nightmare to connect it all up.  Hoping there is an easy fix (ie, there is already a NMEA network in these boats).

My boat will be a 22 SXP Swingback.

I'd hit the dealer up pretty hard on this and make him earn his keep. If he's a Yamaha dealer and going to sell you a Bennington he should be able make this combination work. Plus make sure whatever wiring you need to be in place or see if you can pay for an empty conduit to be installed from point A to B for a CYA.

Back