GPS recommendation

Reaction score
Hi everyone, looking for input on a gps unit. Ideally something with a big screen and a GMEA link to the motor. Any recommendations?

Simrad makes a few models that work really well on our boats. I have a GO9 and love it. 4 or 5 different plotting options and syncs with the motor really well.

Plus 1 on the Simrad GO 9

I don't have mine yet, but opted for the Go7. I like the idea of getting full engine diagnostics and thought the idea of pre-programming ski/wakeboard/tube pull profiles sounded awesome, especially when I put my Love or Kids at the helm so I can Wakeboard (select the program and push the throttle, the computer figures out acceleration and top cruise speed)! I then added the Active Trim, and as I understand it, the computer will then adjust as needed pending changes in the water choppiness, turning, wind, etc. I know there are not a lot of trim adjustments for these big pontoons, but felt the extra features made it worth the investment. So now I have the Engine, Display, Engine Trim all working together - Sounds Dreamy. I just wish the Joystick options was available - but apparently you need two engines......hmmmm.

Last edited:
I ordered the Simrad Go7 on an LX. Can’t wait to get it and learn all the things it can do. I asked Bennington if they could bump it up to the 9 as 7 seems small for all that info but they said no can do. Need to upgrade to an R for that. In some of the research I’ve done it said you can set up screen sharing so if it’s not big enough I could run the iPad or something similar with the depth finder/scanning and just use the main display for engine vitals. Will have to play around and see how it works. Anyone ever try this?

I ordered the Simrad Go7 on an LX. Can’t wait to get it and learn all the things it can do. I asked Bennington if they could bump it up to the 9 as 7 seems small for all that info but they said no can do. Need to upgrade to an R for that. In some of the research I’ve done it said you can set up screen sharing so if it’s not big enough I could run the iPad or something similar with the depth finder/scanning and just use the main display for engine vitals. Will have to play around and see how it works. Anyone ever try this?
Yep, I've done the screen sharing - works great on iOS. Might be fun to get an old iPad Mini and plug it in to have a bigger screen - as-is it's just a fun toy to tinker with.

I really should do a full demo / video of the Simrad this summer. The documentation is pretty lacking - and there's SO MUCH you can do!

Yep, I've done the screen sharing - works great on iOS. Might be fun to get an old iPad Mini and plug it in to have a bigger screen - as-is it's just a fun toy to tinker with.

I really should do a full demo / video of the Simrad this summer. The documentation is pretty lacking - and there's SO MUCH you can do!
That would be awesome if someone did a good walkthrough. I’ve looked on YouTube and they are all rather basic. Excuse my ignorance since I haven’t gotten to play with one but does it come with all the lake maps for Minnesota or is that a separate purchase/download?

Back