GPS SPEED APP

swiftm

Reaction score
There has been a lot of talk about GPS speed on boats. I just have a 50hp Yamaha and boat on a 400 acre lake so I have never been too concerned about speed or getting anywhere quickly. We only slow cruise. I was thinking though that I would like to know my speed and wondered what apps you use to check yours?  Free for iPhone would be great, but I would check paid ones if worth it.  THANKS. 

You can see a screen shot in my gallery of the free one I use. I just searched speedometer in the app store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Andy - I'll try that one.  I had done a search but there are so many I thought I'd see if there were any people had better luck with or could recommend. I guess for FREE I could try them all :)

I use GPS Essentials on an Android. Very happy with it. Will do much more than just speed. Small ads at the bottom of the screen don't bother me at all.

Brian

I use USA Navionics. They have a free version and a paid version. it is a great app. It allows you to download maps of the lake you are own and gives much more information than speed. it also allows you to mark spots for fishing, swimming and ect. Packed with features. Same app that is on a lot of map type fish finders. I have it on an android phone and on my IPAD Air tablet.

Thanks for the suggestions!

After having a leak in a pontoon, checking top speed each time I go out alone (which is about 1/3rd of the time) is a great way to ensure all is good with the boat and motor and prop.  As long as the weight is consistent each time, this makes fot a good benchmark, in my opinion.  Doesn't matter what size motor you have, everyone should benchmark their top speed under certain conditions.

I use "speedometer" on my iphone.  I've tested it in 3 different vehicles with digital displays and its perfect on all 3 tested. and free

I use Speed Box. It's got the compass, ave. MPH, trip meter, speed graph, altitude graph, and a few more.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speedometer-free-speed-box/id307529605?mt=8

screen322x572.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back