GPS speedometer with compass heading

Mike31406

Reaction score
We have a 2001 Bennington 22 FS with a 2 cycle Mercury 90 on our lift.  We are considering a 2016 22GSR with Yahama 150 with the SPS option.  Can anyone post a picture of the helm with the GPS speedometer with compass bearing option?  Is it worth the extra cost? I have always found a speedometer to be a great assist in trimming out a boat.

I have spent many hours reading many of the posts in this forum.  There is a lot of very useful information contained in them.  

Yes it is. 

A GPS speedo would be accurate and a great option if you weren't going to have a gps unit on board.

I use the GPS speedo app on my iPhone called Speedbox. Waaaaaaaay cheaper. It was free. I'll use the savings on fuel!

Mike,

There is not a whole lot more to elaborate on.  It is a very useful tool, especially if you visit different waterways that you are unfamiliar with.  The compass function is just one of multiple screens you can select from.  You can have just the compass showing or you can have a map with a cursor point showing north.  My, "yes it is" was the answer to your "is it worth the extra money" question.  For a couple of hundred bucks its worth it.  If you just want to see a picture of what it looks like on my helm it's in my gallery.  Easy peazy.

IMG_0093.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Would you buy a car without a speedometer? Get it! 

Center one

/gallery/album_540/gallery_4354_540_1726148.jpg

I like my Garmin 53DV. GPS speed, bearing, water temp, depth, lake map with depth, fish finder ........ then again when my max speed is 12 mph who cares ...  :blink:

Plus 2 on the Garmin gps, love ours. Has everything you could want plus more and it'll give you a ton of options for the way you want to use it!

I just purchased the Garmin 5DV. Looking forward to getting it installed. I've also been using the Speedbox for years with other toys and vehicles.

Are we the only ones that like the Lowrance lines over the Garmins?

I had never had either as far as marine units go, so I wasn't biased with exception of having Garmin GPS units for the vehicles, and I've had a number of those. I simply went by size, features, looks, and reputation when I picked the one that I went with. I had also looked at the Hummingbird, but was quickly turned away when I read that the customer service leaves much to be desired. If a company has a bad reputation in that department, I turn around and run. It was definitely a toss up between Garmin and Lowrance. 

I picked the Garmin because I knew if would fit in the spot that the factory flush mounts .I know it looks like it is not level .It is I double checked  :p

I picked the Garmin because I knew if would fit in the spot that the factory flush mounts .I know it looks like it is not level .It is I double checked  :p

View attachment 1354

The ole rule of thumb... "if crooked looks straight, make it crooked". :D

When I first saw it ,I said what the        .Then I looked at the curvature of the helm and got a level 

Back