GPS Transducer --- MIA

LakeRat1

Reaction score
Osage Beach Missouri - Lake of the Ozarks
I have really been enjoying my new Bennington, I have put over 55+ hours on her since the start of May, from a Dam to Dam run 180 miles, to a fun run with Performance Boats, to all out cruising.....it has been great, until yesterday......I noticed wiring sticking out the back of my Port Toon while the boat was on my lift. Looks like I hit some debris in the water as the entire tranducer was missing leaving the welded on bracket and wiring (3).

I looked everything over and there is a disconnect plug that will allow to just plug in a new transducer.......

I have the Garmin GPSMAP 431s --- Where can I find one, with the short plug about 4' to 6', or do I try to splice in existing wiring?

Thoughts / Ideas??

Thanks

Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't try to splice it.

I have the pigtail one removed from my Echo 100 if that's any help.

I mentioned this to Bennington as mine came off during acceleration one day. In my opinion, the mounting system stinks. The thin sheet metal screws in the bracket on the toon aren't enough to hold the pressure the transducer sees while running at high speed. I ended up thru bolting it to the bracket. I however could never find a transducer with just the short pigtail, so I had a new one run all the way to the helm.

Todd

Yep. I've lost one too! Westmarine has them http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=436353&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50157&subdeptNum=50164&classNum=50167#.UbqC2Pnqmz4 but I think I bought mine off Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-standard-plastic-transom-trolling/dp/B0000AXP34/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1371177744&sr=8-4&keywords=garmin+marine+transducer

It had the right connector but is a ton of extra length. I just fed it back up into the channel along the top of the toon in some tied off bunches. I never could find one with a shorter cable.

I called Garmin, they told me the transducer comes with 30 of wiring.....that is crazy, The one that was installed had like a 4 to 6 wire to the transducer??? Is this an option ??? Bennington???

Good News..... I went to my Bennington Dealer here at Lake of the Ozarks - Kelly's Port and looked at another pontoon, sure enough same setup as mine with the short cable...... So the sales tech pulled a transducer off the shelf and we found that the short cable is part of the entire package, ...... I am back in business.....

Also ---- I sent a message to Bennington explaining what had happened, that I did not feel I hit anything, that between the higher speeds and rough water the sheet metal screws came out. I suggested that they consider replacing the screws with stainless bolts.......

I was not expecting the 2nd email from Bennington offering to replace the transducer ------ Needless to say, Bennington is the top of the line in Pontoons and customer service, as well my suggesting is being passed onto their engineering team to consider.......

I am very happy not only with the quality of the Bennington, but now their customer service !!!! :)

You can't beat Bennington customer service.

I'm so glad to be a Bennington Owner. The stories posted here give me great assurance we made the right choice.

Bennington comes through AGAIN !!!!!

I :wub: my Benni !!!!

Bennington has great customer service that's for sure.

Glad you got it all worked out.

Todd

Back