Greetings!

jfrack77

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am taking a trip this weekend to look at purchasing a new Bennington (most likely a 24SLX).  The closest dealer is about 50 minutes from my house, and the next closest is about an hour and a half.   I have been lurking here for a long time and this forum is full of a wealth of knowledge!    Any tactics you recommend for a first time buyer?   I have read that you all have paid up to 31% off of MSRP and that it may be smart to visit both dealers and have them fight for my business.   

I would appreciate any tips!   

Yes, definitely go to both. I went to four and should have gone to more. I had previously read 25-29% is pretty common. Jack is the first I have heard over 30%. Be sure to know everything you want up front. Read the forums if you are debating between options. Better to go big from the beginning.

I worked mine out to approximately 28%. Had 2 dealers fight it out.

Yes, definitely go to both. I went to four and should have gone to more. I had previously read 25-29% is pretty common. Jack is the first I have heard over 30%. Be sure to know everything you want up front. Read the forums if you are debating between options. Better to go big from the beginning.
My first last February ( 22 SLX )   was 28-29 % .Being my second in 10 months ,yes he gave me a larger % off  . He is also going to make money on my trade ,even though I am only loosing $2500 on it .

I also deal with the owner of the dealership ,and I have sent them  customers . It does help to be loyal .

If you fill out the form on the build page ,punch in the zip code for the dealer you a quote from ,the will contact you,your build also goes to that dealer .

You should get a larger discount at the higher volume dealer ,even though that was not true in my case .

I could have gotten one at another local dealer ,it was a few hundred less ,but I was not so thrilled with their facilities ,lower overhead I guess and they are not open year round .

Last edited by a moderator:
May I add that it isn't always about price. I have never sat down to try and figure out what discount I got, and frankly I don't care. If all you are thinking about is "well he's only giving me 18% and I KNOW he can do more than that" it takes away from the buying experience. Now hey, I am a strong believer in the old adage, "my money is better in my pocket than yours" but maybe that dealer has more expenses, maybe he doesn't get the same discount, maybe their business partner stole all the money and split and he is trying to keep his business afloat. Who knows, and I'm sure some of you will say, Who cares, not your problem. Could I have gotten a better deal on my 1st or 2nd? Maybe, but I know he made it worth my while on the 3rd! Not to mention they have always tried to do anything they could for me. Is price a factor? Absolutely, but it isn't the only factor. I remember back in my days of selling furniture (yes, a little different I know) when we had the person come in constantly telling me how much cheaper they could get stuff somewhere else. They'd tell me about all the different places (all were a 7.5 hour drive away since we lived in the North) and it was this price here and there. I didn't WANT to sell them anything after all that. So we said feel free to buy it elsewhere. My point is just this, it isn't always just about price. Good luck in your purchase! 

May I add that it isn't always about price. I have never sat down to try and figure out what discount I got, and frankly I don't care. If all you are thinking about is "well he's only giving me 18% and I KNOW he can do more than that" it takes away from the buying experience. Now hey, I am a strong believer in the old adage, "my money is better in my pocket than yours" but maybe that dealer has more expenses, maybe he doesn't get the same discount, maybe their business partner stole all the money and split and he is trying to keep his business afloat. Who knows, and I'm sure some of you will say, Who cares, not your problem. Could I have gotten a better deal on my 1st or 2nd? Maybe, but I know he made it worth my while on the 3rd! Not to mention they have always tried to do anything they could for me. Is price a factor? Absolutely, but it isn't the only factor. I remember back in my days of selling furniture (yes, a little different I know) when we had the person come in constantly telling me how much cheaper they could get stuff somewhere else. They'd tell me about all the different places (all were a 7.5 hour drive away since we lived in the North) and it was this price here and there. I didn't WANT to sell them anything after all that. So we said feel free to buy it elsewhere. My point is just this, it isn't always just about price. Good luck in your purchase! 
Well said ,I could not agree more . The entire experience is important ,your sales person ,the facility , and service etc .

As stated in previous posts,if you buy from a dealer and take it different dealer for service ,you will most likely be at the back of the line .

I agree with the group. I have been in the auto dealership side of the business quite a few years, from front to back, Mostly back on the service side. There are some differences, but it is still about the entire "start to finish" process. And I really want to see how I am received back at the dealer 2 to 3 years from now.So far the overall grade(s) would look like this,,, Sales process "A" , treated with respect, no BS or games, "this is our best price" , Very knowledgeable Sales guy, options,features,etc., Finance "B" a little bit of like "he got us" 4.5% Interest" No,, our credit score got us 4.5%, Make ready/delivery , "B-" I just was not impressed with this level of a purchase. Small things scratches, left over factory shavings, etc. And they where in a hurry to get the boat to us, (boat was delayed from the factory by 2 weeks). First Service 16 hour, "A" Fixed 95% of the delivery "punch list" an some extras. Took an extra week or so to get it back "We have 200 boats in service!" Really? and you been in business How Long? And I took it in 30 days "Before the spring rush" they said, not me. So , I am pleased Start to Finish, over all "A" average. At this price point I would think it would be an "A ++) We love our boat and purchase, and we shall see and I will let this great forum know how things are going a "Few" years from now.

Now where is that bottle of 303 Protectant and that  detailing spray? 

Regards

Price is always a major factor.  But the service you get will make/break how you view that great price down the road.  I agree to talk to several dealers to see what you can get price wise.  But more importantly, try to see if you can talk to some of their customers and see what they say about the dealer.  That is the proof of the puddin'!!  If they're not "all in" with you, look for another dealer. 

I'll be honest, price played a big role in our second boat. Our original dealer was about 5k higher than the new dealer I've never bought from. I think he thought he had me by the you know whats. There was no feel of thanks for return business or referring some potential buyers his way. In regards to service needs, I have probably the biggest bennington dealer 3 miles from my house. If I need service I'll take it there. As I am surrounded by dealers, I wasn't worried about buying the same product from a dealer a little further out and getting a way better price. I don't hold hands with the dealer and sing Kumbya by the camp fire after the sale. Like I said, I think that is a benefit of having multiple bennington dealers in the area.

I wonder what it would take to be a dealer. I think that would be a fun job. Sell during the week and boat on the weekend.

Hello all,

I am taking a trip this weekend to look at purchasing a new Bennington (most likely a 24SLX).  The closest dealer is about 50 minutes from my house, and the next closest is about an hour and a half.   I have been lurking here for a long time and this forum is full of a wealth of knowledge!    Any tactics you recommend for a first time buyer?   I have read that you all have paid up to 31% off of MSRP and that it may be smart to visit both dealers and have them fight for my business.   

I would appreciate any tips!   
Onboarding.png

First ... Be sure you talk with the dealer 

Get to know him , is he helpful, interested in pleasing you, 

does he address all your concerns, can you see yourself having a business relationship with this dealer

I bought at a boat show where there was only one 

Bennington Dealer

I wish I would of drove to the other dealer in my 100 mile radius to interview and choose between them

I have concerns which are not just about the money.

I am hoping when I take delivery my stress is gone and my enjoyment begins

Just be careful and ask questions

I will tell everyone from this day on 

Do not buy at a Boat Show after talking to the only dealer selling the boat of your choice

Boat Shows are a zoo of activity and not the place to buy in retrospect

I was worried about placing the order to get the boat before boat season began

I knew I wanted Bennington 

But all their dealers are not the same !

Just The Ugly Truth 

stress.gif

I can confirm I got my 2014 22 SLX, custom order about 3 weeks ago for about 28% off MSRP.  I fortunately was able to buy local with the dealer I want to continue to do business with.  

There are a number of variables on that pricing, including special dealer incentives.  For example, depending on how many Benningtons the dealer sold with Yamaha motors, he could get an additional discount this year from Yamaha.  I think that additional discount was about $500 or so.  Those little things can factor in to how one dealer's price might not quite equal another.

Obviously volume plays a role too.  If you can move more volume, you can better sustain a business with smaller margins.  So each dealer is different.  Find a dealer you like, walk in prepared with your price and options, and walk out making a satisfied purchase.  Most dealers will work with you to get your ongoing business.

Best of luck!

I wonder what it would take to be a dealer. I think that would be a fun job. Sell during the week and boat on the weekend.
Plus you most likely get a Demo Boat ,every year . My dealer picks a New Bennington Every Season 

My dealer (a family) works really hard and goes pretty much non stop from late January (boat shows) through mid December (storage/service season). They take an extended vacation to someplace warm in January, but really don't take any time off during the season. Most of their boating on weekends has more to do with customers, than family time... just sayin', there are surely fun times and it's a leisure business, but a lot of work to go with it.

My dealer (a family) works really hard and goes pretty much non stop from late January (boat shows) through mid December (storage/service season). They take an extended vacation to someplace warm in January, but really don't take any time off during the season. Most of their boating on weekends has more to do with customers, than family time... just sayin', there are surely fun times and it's a leisure business, but a lot of work to go with it.
Very well said .

My dealer ( also family owned since 1969 )  is open year round 6 days a week .

In the winter they sell Snow Mobiles and Quads & such .

A Lot of Work 

Trust me, I took a hobby I loved in the late 80's, turned it into a "job", lost the passion for MANY years. If it's a business, it's LONG hours, lots of stress, etc ... Then again, maybe living down south whwere you can boat most of year might be different.

Now that's not to say I would not enjoy having a business down south giving boat tours ..... but not a dealer .... can you imagine being beat up all day from guys like us on pricing ???? :angry:

Trust me, I took a hobby I loved in the late 80's, turned it into a "job", lost the passion for MANY years. If it's a business, it's LONG hours, lots of stress .... Now that's not to say I would not enjoy having a business down south giving boat tours ..... but not a dealer .... can you imagine being beat up all day from guys like us on pricing ???? :angry:
Or when ( at least up here ) every one wants their boat now . New arrivals ,out of storage .

I hope I am first in line   :D ,that's part of the reason I stop by at least once a week .

Probability tired of seeing me now ,I know I would be .

Thanks for the info guys, I have been in touch (by email) with the 2 dealers closest to me (they are both about 60 miles from my house).  I plan on taking a trip to one or both this saturday to see what they have to offer.

Thanks for the info guys, I have been in touch (by email) with the 2 dealers closest to me (they are both about 60 miles from my house).  I plan on taking a trip to one or both this saturday to see what they have to offer.
If they have websites ,you may be able to check what they have in stock before you go 

Back