Grills

the-little-B

Reaction score
Those of you with grills....do you have it rail mounted or on a pedestal? What's your preference? I've been looking at different set ups but won't be able to decide much til the new boat shows up and I can see what I've got for extra space on the front or rear deck or for room off the rails somewhere. I don't mind an extra hole in the floor for a pedestal mount , or as long as a rail mounted one wouldn't tweak or mess up the rails it'd be alright too.

Just fishing for opinions and experiences you've had either good or bad on either method of mounting one...

We really enjoy our Magma but we don't have it mounted. Rather, we set it up on our mid-ship bar. If you search "grills" on this forum, you should find what you're looking for. Congratulations on the new boat and be sure to post some pictures and specs when available.

I added a mount base off the back deck. I use the old table I had in the bow rider. I do need to get a better grill, I was using a cheapo Coleman thing that did not last.

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Two replies and one that's mounted so far. Nobody else has a grill mounted?

Put Grills in the Search area above there have been some pictures on the forums about mounted Grills. Might help you out.

^^what he/she said....

Grills are messy. Even the gas fired ones. I plan on mounting mine to the rail so the grease/charred bits/etc. fall into the water for the fish. I had a friend with a pretty crappy pontoon boat years ago, who had a pedestal mounted grill near the back of the boat. The area underneath got progressively worse over time and never looked good, even after cleaning it. If you opt to do the pedestal mount, be sure to have a large HEAVY rubber mat underneath it. And be sure to not step into anything that may get on it and track it all over the flooring in the boat.

I installed a pedestal mount for a Magma grill just outside the fence on the aft deck, and haven't had an issue with grease or spills -- but I don't cook much messy stuff and usually cook with the grill top closed. The pedestal and grill are easy to set up and take down, and I store them in a Magma grill bag under the helm. I don't have any pictures, but need to take some this year since this topic comes up so much.

I'm actually entertaining the idea of a gas grill on my Benny. What I'm looking at is mounting the "Magma Kettle 3" on the port side of the ski tow bar with this type mount. This should put the grill center fairly close to the center of that area while allowing the grill to be mostly over the water. Thoughts? Talk me out of it.

ZZ43435_L.jpg
71%2BkpUTRq6L._SX679_.jpg

Nauti-Dream.jpg

Looks like a nice set-up Randy; go for it! Then I'd go to your local hardware store and get one of those rubber-backed entrance mats to throw down on the floor when you're cooking. They can be easily rolled up and stored when not in use. I think that if you're generally a careful person and clean up immediately after any messes, grilling and a nice boat are not mutually exclusive.

It's a slight angle on the vertical but if the mount is adjustable enough to be level, this is a game-changer. I would do the same. Nice.

Bill, from what I can tell, the pivot point on the bottom of the grill is almost endless with the amount of angles it can be mounted at. My main objective is to have something that is very classy looking, while keeping enough distance from the motor, as well as being extended slightly over the deck's edge.

Mich, I'm definitely going to get a mat as you described. If for nothing else, to keep my clumsy self from dropping food on the deck. I remember back about 12 years ago, I was cooking for the family gathering, and while pulling six ribeyes from the park grill in a campground, I allowed the platter to slip, and unload all six onto the gravel.

Very good idea! Do you happen to know the diameters of the main bar and the smaller support bars on the tow bar?

The main bar is 1.5" diameter, and the smaller bar is 1". I'm going to mount to the 1.5" bar. Bigger is better, or so I've heard.

The search function works but not many pics left in them threads anymore. Got a few ideas though and will just have to wait for the new boat to show up and take a closer look at what will work.

The main bar is 1.5" diameter, and the smaller bar is 1". I'm going to mount to the 1.5" bar. Bigger is better, or so I've heard.

Thanks a lot for the measurements!!
That's a great idea you have there and I think I just might copy you :)

I do want to ask you guys with grills, a question. Do you leave your grill in the usable position while cruising, or do you keep it stowed away until you anchor, and then get it out and mounted? I know that the stern is usually the smoothest spot on the boat, but I'm still not sure about something back there like a grill.

I leave mine mounted all summer. Weber Q 1200 on a pedestal mount. Used it for the first time this year Sat.

Back