Hard to Steer

darrigo

Reaction score
We recently became the owners of a 2016 GL2274 powered by a Yamaha 250HP Vmax Sho.  It has the steering power hydraulic assist and Sea Star Hydraulic.  I am finding the boat hard to steer at idle and slow speeds.  Is this normal?   Our small 20SLX (with a yamaha 90) is really easy to steer and I expected more like this.

Is it just me?

Should be easy to steer. Like with one finger easy.

Make sure the dealer connected the purple wire to activate the pump. It should be 1 finger easy and you should be able to hear the pump whine a little.

I could be wrong but believe the master switch needs to be as well for the power assist to activate.  Thought I remember reading that somewhere.

I also notice that the voltage drops around 4 volts.  It hovers around 14.5 volts and when I try and turn the wheel at idle, the meter drops significantly.

Sounds like a locked rotor in the motor.  Voltage will drop substantially when a motor is under substantial load (or froze up) as a motor under those conditions can draw up to 6x its normal running current.  That will pull the voltage down.

Not saying this is the problem, but you may have a bad motor in the pump...  Symptoms point to that.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK.  Update.  

They (dealer) got some air out of the lines but I still find this boat really hard to steer at idle and slow speeds.  It seems to grab when I need to turn the wheel really fast left and right (like when I need to jockey around a dock or slip).  Anyone else find this with this power steering?  We have a 20 SLX with a 90 HP Yamaha and I can easily steer very quickly back and forth with zero hesitation.

So do I need to learn how to dock again with this impedapent?  Over the last 8 years, I've owned a 20ft Crowline (bowrider), a 26 Sea Ray (deckboat) and a 20 ft Bennington pontoon and I've had no problems with any of these boats.

This does not sound normal.  My boat with power steering is 1 finger steering like some have said.  I would not accept the fix from the dealer if it is still that bad.  Make them come to you and try the boat in the water.  It should not be that way.

Like others have said, it's not right. Should be a piece of cake to steer. My boat came 'all ready to go' but with the purple wire disconnected which made steering hard. With it connected, it is effortless, ESPECIALLY at low speeds. Don't accept their fix. It's not right. 

I had a problem with my power steering on my 2550 RCW late last fall. Dealer worked on the pump several times,but was not able to resolve it by installing new parts. Seastar ended up replacing the pump. I plan on running the boat this weekend to make sure it is operating properly. But Rockie is right about the one finger operation of the steering wheel. Don't accept any less from the dealer. Good luck 

Like others have said, it's not right. Should be a piece of cake to steer. My boat came 'all ready to go' but with the purple wire disconnected which made steering hard. With it connected, it is effortless, ESPECIALLY at low speeds. Don't accept their fix. It's not right. 

Where is this purple wire located?

This does not sound normal.  My boat with power steering is 1 finger steering like some have said.  I would not accept the fix from the dealer if it is still that bad.  Make them come to you and try the boat in the water.  It should not be that way.

I actually had the boat at the dealership last Saturday. Mechanic took some air out of the lines.  We also took the boat out on a lake for a test.  At speeds other than idle, the steering turns easily.  It's just at slow speeds and idle it's hard to turn fast.  Scott, can you turn your wheel (at idle and slow speeds) really fast left and right without hesitation?

I actually had the boat at the dealership last Saturday. Mechanic took some air out of the lines.  We also took the boat out on a lake for a test.  At speeds other than idle, the steering turns easily.  It's just at slow speeds and idle it's hard to turn fast.  Scott, can you turn your wheel (at idle and slow speeds) really fast left and right without hesitation?

Wow, now you have me stumped :)   I honestly cannot say I ever noticed anything wrong at slow speeds, so I never paid attention.  I will have to get my boat in the water and purposely look for this.

Mine made little whine at idle, but turned just fine. 

Mine made little whine at idle, but turned just fine. 

Mine also whines.  Like I have said, when I try and turn the wheel quickly at idle and slow speeds, it seems to grab. At high speeds, not a problem.  Maybe it's just me (although my other boats didn't do this).

The power steering pump is electric, right?  So can't you sit in one of his other demo boats, or show room boats, turn on the accessories (not the motor), and see how the PS performs in those boats compared to yours?  Or does the motor have to be running?

I did find it and it looks connected.  Besides, the steering works fine above idle.

When you turn the wheel, do you hear the pump whine a little?

Back