Has anyone compared the F350 to the Verado 350?

Michiman I'm sure that our WOT time will be very limited as well. I really think the 300 Verado would be plenty for us I'm just thinking down the road with the way these new toons are going to more and more power the 350 might be the best way to go for resale years from now but could be wrong. Plus I know I'm not going to get the 350 and say I wish I hadn't lol. 

Hey Todd, I'm trying to make a decision between the Yamaha 350 and the Mercury 350 on a Q25 with ESP. I see that you chose the V350. Would you mind explaining your choice? Are you happy with it?
Anyone else with experience, with cost not a factor, which would you choose?

Lots of Yamaha and Mercury fans on this board so hopefully someone with a 350 will chime in. My dealer doesn't handle Yamaha so I didn't have a lot of choice, but I love my Verado other than the color (which is hard to keep clean). Some words I'd use to describe it are powerful and quiet. I also love the "docking" mode. Good luck with your decision...

Those are outside my price point! I'm a yamaha fan. I'm in FL and there is probably a reason Yamaha's are on most of the CC's down here.

Those are outside my price point! I'm a yamaha fan. I'm in FL and there is probably a reason Yamaha's are on most of the CC's down here.

Probably because they get too much sun down there. Does funny things to your head. LOL :D

It seemed that Todd was really impressed with the F350, but wound up buying the V350. I'm curious as to why.

They are very different motors.

Yamaha 350
Naturally aspirated V8
763lbs
6000rpm
5 year/extendable to 7 year warranty
cost +/- $2000 more than Mercury 350
Flywheel has to be replaced under warranty after 80 hours in the 3500 to 4200 rpm range
painted silver

Mercury Verado 350
supercharged V6
668lbs
6400rpm
3 year/extendable to 7 year warranty
cost +/- $2000 less than Yamaha 350
Is said to be more responsive, quieter and smoother
painted black. +/- $1300 upcharge to get painted one of 3 different shades of white

I don't have either of theses available near me to test. I have had 3 different smaller Yamaha 4 strokes, all have been great. Never owned a Mercury. Dealer sells and works on both. Dealer recommends Yamaha, but has no experience with the V8.

Here are some links for anyone interested.

https://www.boats.com/reviews/the-outboard-expert-new-yamaha-f350c-outboard-debuts/

https://www.boats.com/reviews/mercu...ercury-racing-verado-400r-at-miami-boat-show/

love my Verado 350 on my QSB25. Reached 50.6MPH on the GPS read out. We had 3 people on board and a half a tank of fuel. Both Bimini's were up! The response time is fantastic and Mercury's Digital Throttle control is second to none according to my dealer! He carries Yamaha, Mercury, Evinrude ETC.

I couldnt be happier

love my Verado 350 on my QSB25. Reached 50.6MPH on the GPS read out. We had 3 people on board and a half a tank of fuel. Both Bimini's were up! The response time is fantastic and Mercury's Digital Throttle control is second to none according to my dealer! He carries Yamaha, Mercury, Evinrude ETC.

I couldnt be happier
RodEarl74, what prop are you running on that beast?

RodEarl74, what prop are you running on that beast?
When I reached that speed I had the stock prop that came with the boat. It’s an Enertia 14.5 x 17P 3 blade prop.

Put a 4 blade revolution 14.5 x 17P to compare this past weekend. Top speed reached under same conditions was 47MPH. putting the Enertia back on it next trip.

When I reached that speed I had the stock prop that came with the boat. It’s an Enertia 14.5 x 17P 3 blade prop.
Interesting! What WOT RPM are you achieving with the Enertia? I run a 15.6 X 13P WOT 6400 at about 40 MPH. Ken at Propgods seems to think I'm good (and I agree) but most everyone else on this forum is running a much bigger prop.

Interesting! What WOT RPM are you achieving with the Enertia? I run a 15.6 X 13P WOT 6400 at about 40 MPH. Ken at Propgods seems to think I'm good (and I agree) but most everyone else on this forum is running a much bigger prop.
RPM @WOT is about 6400 with the motor trimmed to the highest position before the prop start to cavatate.

RPM @WOT is about 6400 with the motor trimmed to the highest position before the prop start to cavatate.
Looks like you're perfectly set up IMO. I'd be pretty pleased with those numbers as well...

Looks like you're perfectly set up IMO. I'd be pretty pleased with those numbers as well...
I couldn’t be happier! We usually cruise around 30-32MPH. I’ve found that to be the most comfortable cruise

RodEarl, Thank you for replying! Your boat is very similar to the one i'm going to order.

There is a $500 option to get .125 instead of .100 pontoons. I'm trying to decide if thicker and more weight is better. Do you know which you have?

Did you get the smartcraft gauges or the vessel view screen?

I know the 350hp motors use alot of fuel at WOT, but any idea what fuel consumption is at cruising speed?

Here is a link to a similar boat with the F350. I can't find anything on the V350. Are you seeing similar numbers?
https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/assets/pdf/power_solution_center/BNT_2575QCWA_F350XCB_2013-10-1_PNT.pdf

Everyone I've read or talked to is happy with whichever brand they chose. I'm hoping to talk with someone with experience with both. My dealer wants to sell me the Yamaha and I've had good experience with them, but I'm worried about the flywheel issue.

The Verado seems to be a more modern design especially the controls/electroinc gauges.

Low and mid range power and/or enough power under a heavey load would be more important to me than a faster top speed. I'm thinking this would be better with the V8 Yamaha.

You lost a few mph with the 4 blade prop, but did you see noticable difference in low to mid power?

Last edited:
RodEarl, Thank you for replying! Your boat is very similar to the one i'm going to order.

Their is a $500 option to get .125 instead of .100 pontoons. I'm trying to decide if thicker and more weight is better. Do you know which you have?

Did you get the smartcraft gauges or the vessel view screen?

I know the 350hp motors use alot of fuel at WOT, but any idea what fuel consumption is at cruising speed?

Here is a link to a similar boat with the F350. I can't find anything on the V350. Are you seeing similar numbers?
https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/assets/pdf/power_solution_center/BNT_2575QCWA_F350XCB_2013-10-1_PNT.pdf

Everyone I've read or talked to is happy with whichever brand they chose. I'm hoping to talk with someone with experience with both. My dealer wants to sell me the Yamaha and I've had good experience with them, but I'm worried about the flywheel issue.

The Verado seems to be a more modern design especially the controls/electroinc gauges.

Low and mid range power and/or enough power under a heavey load would be more important to me than a faster top speed. I'm thinking this would be better with the V8 Yamaha.

You lost a few mph with the 4 blade prop, but did you see noticable difference in low to mid power?
James,

I have the thicker toons. Went with that option for a more solid ride. Its only marginally heavier but I didnt want to sacrifice comfort.

We have the Mercury Smart gauges. They are awesome. Tell you everything you need to know about the motor. Water pressure, battery voltage, GPH, MPG etc.

She is a little thirsty at WOT. About 1.4MPG depending on conditions. I did review the Yamaha chart on the link and I have to say the Verado numbers are nearly identical.

I'm running about 4000RPM at 32MPH regardless of how many passangers typically getting 2.4-2.8MPG depending on conditions, load and passangers etc. When its just my wife and I I get 2.8MPG at 4000.

The boat is big and heavy so I cant say I noticed much difference in hole shot or from say cruising speed to WOT. Only difference is a small loss of top end.

Im sure the Yamaha is a solid power choice. I went with the Merc for a few reasons. Its lighter, less maintenance and they have a far superior drive system in my opinion. Their DTS is awesome, quiet, effecient and very responsive.

I'm sure which ever you chooseyou'll be very happy with!

I've got the F350 with the Yamaha gauges. The gauges communicate seamlessly with the motor. The motor is dead quiet at idle and has that deep throaty sound under heavy throttle. My boat tops out at about 50-51 with a full tank, both bimini's, coolers and 4 on board at about 5800 RPM. As far as pulling wakeboarders, it pulls them up easier and faster than my Malibu wakeboard boat. Basically, I blip the throttle between 1/4 - 1/2, the person is up and I back it down a bit. I've never been on a boat with the 350 Mercury but I suspect both motors are very close in performance. I chose the Yamaha at the time I ordered the boat because in the past I had twin Yamaha 150's on my SW fishing boat and they performed flawlessly routinely going 100 miles offshore (San Diego area). Not one problem with either one so I stuck with Yamaha. I'm very happy with my F350.

I've got the F350 with the Yamaha gauges. The gauges communicate seamlessly with the motor. The motor is dead quiet at idle and has that deep throaty sound under heavy throttle. My boat tops out at about 50-51 with a full tank, both bimini's, coolers and 4 on board at about 5800 RPM. As far as pulling wakeboarders, it pulls them up easier and faster than my Malibu wakeboard boat. Basically, I blip the throttle between 1/4 - 1/2, the person is up and I back it down a bit. I've never been on a boat with the 350 Mercury but I suspect both motors are very close in performance. I chose the Yamaha at the time I ordered the boat because in the past I had twin Yamaha 150's on my SW fishing boat and they performed flawlessly routinely going 100 miles offshore (San Diego area). Not one problem with either one so I stuck with Yamaha. I'm very happy with my F350.
Sounds like we're getting identical performance. Makes sense since we both boat on Havasu!

Be there all next week. Head up river one day and snag a spot in the gorge. Head down to flag pole cove the next!

BTW, how do you like the sharkhide? I'm having Jesse at Adrenaline install it this week.

Back