Have you noticed people who don't own pontoon boats have the most to say about them.

Bugsbunnyboater

Reaction score
It seems at times it's when the question is asked about getting a pontoon boat or another type boat or how they handle. It's ten quick replies from people who have never been on or owned a pontoon boat or seem to think they are just for a big pond and have a cloth couch with a 10 hp outboard lol
My older Bennington has fished the inter coastal and rivers and keeps up with other boats.
It's funny during the flood from Hurricane Harvey the marina I use was under 20 plus feet of water.
My 2001 Bennington was moored in a wet slip. It floated to the top of the slip and was pi Ned against the roof for days and after the water went down a board went through the deck but...
She started right up and the pontoons were still air tight.
We need to let people know pontoon boats of todsy are not the boats great great grandfather used lol

I agree. Back in the 80's ( The olden days) on my father in laws lake.....his neighbors used to load up the "party barge and putter around the lake hours at a time. When we decided to sell our bowrider and buy a pontoon boat he couldn't believe that we were able to ski behind it. He was in disbelief......until he witnessed it and did it.. ...

Throughout the years my family has had pontoon boats as well as a variety of speed boats. The younger ones preferred the speed boats as the older ones preferred the pontoon (Patio) boats. Back in 2008 the Bennington dealer on the our lake had a used tri-toon for sale at his in water boat show, we took it out for a ride and as they say, "The rest is history." I am now on my second Bennington and I'll never go back to a speed boat. There isn't anything my Bennington won't do that a speed boat can do. We can go fast. We can ski, tube, wakeboard, etc. My Bennington pulled seven out of the water (6 skiers plus 1 on the back of one of the skiers). The Bennington dealer on our lake has a photo of our family's accomplishment to show the naysayers when they question a Bennington's ability to pull skiers. To top it off, we can take 16 people out for a relaxing cruise of the lake and not get bounced around like rag dolls when the lake is choppy. A speed boat can't do all that.

When we had our boat on order, I got a lot of “looks” or comments when saying we had a Bennington pontoon on the way. Things like, “I wouldn’t think you’re a pontoon guy”, or “I am surprised you didn’t go with a speed boat for water sports”, etc... I would explain the SPS tritoon, and they wouldn’t get it. I’d mention it will have a 200hp on the back, and many just kind of seemed in disbelief or then dismissive.

Just three days ago we were going to go out to try to teach my daughter to water ski (not there yet, but someday...). My MUCH older neighbor with a small pontoon asked if we could do that (even though he sees my boat daily, and the motor on it). I was like “oh yes, but I need to really feather the throttle carefully because its too powerful”. He then followed up with, “Sure, I get that when they are up and out of the water, but can you get them up out of the water with the pontoon?” I just replied, “yes, that is what I was talking about”. The lightest throttle just pulls them right up and out. It’s actually hard NOT to over throttle at the start with a water skier. Needless to say, he still didn’t quite wrap his head around it.

It's a good feeling when we are coving about with friends and they would rather ride back in my pontoon rather than get bounced around in my other friend's larger 28 ft open bow. The ride is just so much smoother and more comfortable, especially when the lake is choppy!

Usually when I have friends who have never seen the boat or have been out on it make a comment, my typical reply is "this ain't your Grandad's boat."

Last edited:
It's funny on another un named site if someone ask about taking a pontoon out in the open sea or any place
Beside a lake they all but assure them 1, the waves will damage it. 2, from what they hear the seats will get wet and carpet
3 open water ie. The gulf is never a place for any pontoon boat.

On Saturday, The buckeye navy was out in force. The lake was choppy and wakes everywhere. We took the 5 mile ride to the marina for lunch. Our friends did not notice that the water was rough and the v hulled boats were getting slammed around. The guys on the rear loungers said best riding boat they had ever been on and on Sunday we pulled water-skiers.

Those rear loungers are the best seats in the boat.

I've definitely seen the pontoon boat transition from "grandpa's barge" to "family fun-mobile." Over the past 2-3 decades we saw incremental "features" such as BBQ grills, livewells, water slides, and lounge chairs added to entice people.

I think two of the biggest steps to bring more people into the pontoon world were:

1. More power. It seems like 20+ years ago, the largest you might have seen was a 50 HP, maybe a 70-90 HP. I see more boats now "minimally" equipped with a 115 HP.

2. Performance toons. These aren't grandpa's logs. My ESP performs like the flier says "similar to a monohull." When it comes to turns and buoyancy, these pontoons have it.

Starting as a child, I've got over 50 years of boating experience on a v-hull platform but I'm here to say that my fellow posters above are spot on. My Benny can do everything a "regular" boat can do, but much better. And it can also do things the v-hull can't. Just wished I'd realized that about ten years sooner.

Cruising around yesterday was a great reminder that we are very satisfied with our decision to buy a Bennington. Heck, I even forgot about the damage done by my dealer...

We had a similar experience this past weekend. We were with a bunch of people and there was one other boat there, a v-hull I/O and we had a 3 person tube/sled. He took people out once, I think we took 1/2 dozen groups out. Comment I heard several times was, "wow, I've never been around pontoons much, but I gotta say... that was impressive! I didn't know a toon could move like that..."

Needless to say, I was all smiles. The Verado Pro tossed them around with ease and didn't struggle at all.

Everyone who’s been on ours has went out and bought a Bennington! You can’t beat the ride and the room.

For many years the boats in our family consisted of my parent's 18 foot bow rider and our 18 foot sailing catamaran. When I finally sold the cat my wife said it was her turn to pick the next boat and she was tired of being bounced around (bow rider) or being wet (cat). And she wanted a "party boat". I was open to the idea, but was slightly apprehensive because (to be honest) my ego was getting in the way - how macho is a party boat??!

When my brother bought the Bennington we now own, I remember my mom (then 86 years old) being thrilled that she could simply walk through the open gate without clambering over seats.

We only rode in it once while he owned it, but the ride and 260 hp was all it took to convince me this was a great boat.

This spring, we took it camping with friends. One evening this guy walks over and asks about the boat. Says it was too rough that day for him to go out in his bass boat, but he watched us cruising like it was calm day, and wondered if he should trade up!

This summer on Lake Travis (near Austin TX) we had 7 adults and 8 grandkids on it - tubing, swimming, cruising. At one point my wife leaned over and whispered in my ear "I have never seen you so happy".

'Cause that's what life is all about...

Last edited:
For many years the boats in our family consisted of my parent's 18 foot bow rider and our 18 foot sailing catamaran. When I finally sold the cat my wife said it was her turn to pick the next boat and she was tired of being bounced around (bow rider) or being wet (cat). And she wanted a "party boat".

When my brother bought the Bennington we now own, I remember my mom (then 86 years old) being thrilled that she could simply walk through the open gate without clambering over seats.

We only rode on it once while he owned it, but the ride and 260 hp was all it took to convince me this was a great boat.

This spring, we took it camping with friends. One evening this guy walks over and asks about the boat. Says it was too rough that day for him to go out in his bass boat, but he watched us cruising like it was calm day, and wondered if he should trade up!

This summer on Lake Travis (near Austin TX) we had 7 adults and 8 grandkids on it - tubing, swimming, cruising. At one point my wife leaned over and whispered in my ear "I have never seen you so happy".

'Cause that's what life is all about...
Our new Benny sure was expensive and more than I ever wanted to spend on a pontoon. But what an investment in family time and fun it has been. My wife and I would say the same. We’ve never been happier this last year at our lake house with the boat. We look it as our splurge on luxury and cut back on other things. What better way then spend our time and money with family and friends!

I've overheard friends saying things like: I didn't know a pontoon could go this fast and my next boat is going to be a pontoon (usually as I fire up the grill on back) etc... I have to always gently remind them...it's a TRITOON.

Back