Hazy/Foggy windshield

keithkz

Reaction score
I have a tinted, polycarbonate windshield on my 1996 Moomba ski boat that is so foggy that you can't even see through it.  It is structurally perfect and doesn't have a single scratch in it.  I am assuming this is oxidation but I'm no expert.  Is there a product that can be used to restore this?  Replacing the windshield is crazy expensive and that's if you can even find one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried the polishing with a certain kind of toothpaste? I haven't tried it, but some people state that it works on the headlights and plastic eyeglasses. I believe it acts as a rubbing/polishing compound. You've got nothing to lose if it's a bad as you suggest.

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Scratches-From-Plastic-Lens-Glasses

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure about toothpaste....

You want to buy Lexan polish...(Lexan is polycarbonate) .... or maybe even a kit that has several grits of polish

I think even Walmart sells the stuff

Meguiar's  stuff is usually good 

I'd try a small test area with the least abrasive stuff first.

I have an old bottle of RV type wax (that has cleaners in it) that is my go to test paste.

It usually works with 90% of the stuff I need shined up.

What's that stuff they use on headlights to clear them up?

There are products for the "glass" inserts of old convertible tops. I think it's similar to what LL mentioned for headlight lens restoration, though many of those are scams at best.

HERE is one from Griot's or try Meguiar's HERE

I use insect repellant such as Off. Spray it on a soft rag like a t-shirt and rub the wind shield or head light cover like you were waxing. You will be surprised at how well it cleans the oxidation.

I use insect repellant such as Off. Spray it on a soft rag like a t-shirt and rub the wind shield or head light cover like you were waxing. You will be surprised at how well it cleans the oxidation.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing...

Be careful here...  OFF is exactly what "burned" or "etched" our Tristan glasses.... very strange, 

I suggest geting a powerball and some White Diamond or other buffing paste, it should buff it clean...  That's what I had to do after the OFF burned handprints into our glasses one night.

Be careful using any so called spray on cures, they will usually dissolve the tarnish along with the plastic. It will look super clear for a short time but revert back to where it was or worse. Get a good quality headlight restorer, that should work. Better yet, call the boat manufacturer and ask, I am surprised at how many people won't simply pick up the phone. This may even be a warranty issue, who knows.

This is where you have to be careful. Do not spray on the wind shield. You spray lightly on the soft rag. Do not touch the wind shield with you bare hands while chemical is on it. 3 years and going on my cleaning. You just have to be very careful. Do not over apply or leave for too long. Check the make up on a lot of the (high quality restorers) before you buy. You may be surprised at the chemicals. This was not about cost. It was a method I had seen used many times with success. I have not had much success with the restore kits. Try on a piece of plexi-glass or similar material and let set a while before you try on a windshield as a test.

Deep Woods Off works great! It's the DEET that's the magic ingredient. Use an old cotton sock or soft cotton T shirt. Works great on plastic car headlight covers.

Back