Heavy Smoke and Oil Discharge at Start Up?

Problem with break in period is folks think they need to baby the engine which is as far from the truth as possible. The worst of the worst on any new engine is idle or low loads for extended periods. I pull Oil samples on all my own personal vehicles at least once a year and use oil analyzers, never been a fan of blackstone as TBN has to be requested for them to test which should be done no matter what.

Problem with pulling a uoa on a new engine is the numbers are going to be off the charts from breakin wear metals in the first place but it would tell if it was diluted from excess fuel but one needs to know what weight of oil was in it to start with for accurate analysis results.

I have been researching this issue and taking in all of the excellent comments and suggestions.  I thought the routine storage of the engine in the full down position was perfectly normal as is the case and the way a hundred or more other outboards are stored at my marina.  Very few have the outboard tilted up.  I still do not see how large amounts of oil can sneak past the rings into the combustion part of the cylinder unless the rings are bad.  I do hear that a few others have resolved this same issue by storing the OB slightly trimmed up.  If storing the OB in the full down position I would think more folks would be talking about this.  I think I will call Yamaha.  Thanks all for your comments!!!!

If this problem was from a poor or failed break-in, wouldn't the motor have smoked from day 1? 

My understanding is the break-in basically polishes the rings against the cyllinder wall, forming a tight fit.  When new, both surfaces are rough, and oil/gas can get by the rings.  After break-in, the surfaces are polished, and they seal together better. 

Or can a failed break-in actually make things worse (looser) than when the motor was new?

Problem with break in period is folks think they need to baby the engine which is as far from the truth as possible. The worst of the worst on any new engine is idle or low loads for extended periods. I pull Oil samples on all my own personal vehicles at least once a year and use oil analyzers, never been a fan of blackstone as TBN has to be requested for them to test which should be done no matter what.

Problem with pulling a uoa on a new engine is the numbers are going to be off the charts from breakin wear metals in the first place but it would tell if it was diluted from excess fuel but one needs to know what weight of oil was in it to start with for accurate analysis results.

I'll have to admit that when I broke in our motor, I went by the book. I could just see myself blowing the darned thing up, warranty not covering it, and me sitting in my driveway, staring at my blown up boat. :)  I've heard others also say that when you break in a motor/engine, it's best to break it in like you plan to drive it.... like you stole it.

At my work there is a new campaign "Drive it like you own it" Apparently too many drivers of company vehicles are playing bumper cars!

I know a guy that told that to his employees.  They did drive it like they owned it, food wrappers everywhere, never washed it, ashtrays overflowing.  He got rid of the company trucks and starting paying mileage for the employees to get to off site jobs. 

Sounds like he needs better employees or a better vehicle usage policy! No respect for company assets!

They say nothing parties like a rental, but company vehicles are probably right up there.

Signage helps. I work for a Big Ten university and having our logo on university cars/vans/trucks makes a difference in how they are driven and where they are parked. Taxpayers don't like seeing their tax-funded vehicles parked outside strip joints! ;-)

Sounds like he needs better employees or a better vehicle usage policy! No respect for company assets!
Actually, it has been a great solution.  Why spend time with policies and then enforcement and then the heart burn when there are other solutions. In our industry, a great employee is someone who gets to work, works safely and productively.  If he is a pig in his car, it doesn't mater  

I'm not disagreeing on his solution, it's just sad when people treat others property like crap, even if that is how they treat their own property.

I'm not disagreeing on his solution, it's just sad when people treat others property like crap, even if that is how they treat their own property.

This! It burns my buns to see how people abuse the employee's property. I had a company vehicle for years. It was a huge asset/privilege. Saved me lots of money in gas, maintenance, upkeep, etc. Crazy that people take that kind of benefit for granted.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Admiral Questover,

What was your resolution to this smoking issue. My F-150 has 65 hours and when I started it on Sat after setting since last Sunday, smoke and oil discharge just like you mentioned. I plan on a video so I can show the dealer.

Marc

Did you check the oil level?

Are you calling him a dipstick Carl?

Are you calling him a dipstick Carl?

Actually, I had the same thing happen and I attributed it to seafoam. Dealer said to NOT put the motor all the way down since the oil won't drain from the cylinder head. He said make sure it is a little beyond vertical level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seafoam?  Really?  I'd love to hear more about that if you want to share. Never used the stuff, but maybe I never will now...

+1 for seafoam. It's a cleaner so that's where the smoke comes from.

Hey all,

The oil level is mid way between the hi and low.

I did not/do not use sea foam.

I have stored the motor all the way down while it is on the lift for over a year.

That was the first time I had any issue at all.

I will be back at the marina this weekend to see if there is a repeat and will have the video going when the engine starts

thanks for all the input but would like to know if anyone has had resolution to this.

Marc

Hey all,

OK, so this is weird!!

Went to the marina today to start the 150 and film the smoking exhaust bubbles. The last time it was 7 days since the last time we had it out so I wanted to duplicate the conditions.

Got the video going and fired the ol' Yamaha up and guess what................................ NO SMOKE!!!!!!!! Ran like a top as usual

It was trimmed down all the way down like always (to make it shorter in the slip to reduce the chance it will get hit from behind), but no smoke like the last time.

Confused

Marc

Back