Help choosing HP motor and performance pkg

Gastonguy

Reaction score
I am interested in buying a 22 foot R series triple toon and will use it some for water sports, tubing wake boarding etc. We may have as many as 8-9 people on board and want to make sure I have adequate power. I am trying to decide if 150 hp would be enough or should I go with a 200-250hp. Also, any thoughts on the performance packages, ie ESP Std perf Package or Express Tube package. I would appreciate the advice of forum members on their setups and recommendations. Thanks so much.

I am interested in buying a 22 foot R series triple toon and will use it some for water sports, tubing wake boarding etc. We may have as many as 8-9 people on board and want to make sure I have adequate power. I am trying to decide if 150 hp would be enough or should I go with a 200-250hp. Also, any thoughts on the performance packages, ie ESP Std perf Package or Express Tube package. I would appreciate the advice of forum members on their setups and recommendations. Thanks so much.
What is the max hp the boat is rated for? That is what I did with my 2275 GCW. I put a 150 yamaha on it because I did not want to wish I had a 150 when I had a 115. If you are thinking yamaha their website has performance bulletins on Bennington boats similar to yours. I would go with the max

rated size if it was me. I have the express tube pack with triple toon but if money is not an object go to the eliptical tube package although it is more money perfomance is better.

I totally agree with Moose....it certainly depends on how much you want to spend. I would get as big a motor as you can based on boat rating and affordability. Just like Moose said, you can't go above a 150 unless you have the ESP package. Best of luck.

What is the max hp the boat is rated for? That is what I did with my 2275 GCW. I put a 150 yamaha on it because I did not want to wish I had a 150 when I had a 115. If you are thinking yamaha their website has performance bulletins on Bennington boats similar to yours. I would go with the max

rated size if it was me. I have the express tube pack with triple toon but if money is not an object go to the eliptical tube package although it is more money perfomance is better.

Moose...have you had your boat out yet. If so, tell me what you did or didn't like about it since our boats appear to be very similar. I hope to launch mine as soon as the weather warms up a bit. Thanks.

Moose,

If I put the std performance package on, I can go to 225hp. Do you have power steering and/or hydraulic steering on boat. If not, do you wish it did? What do you think your top speed is and a good cruising speed? Also, thanks for the tips for looking at the Yamaha buletins. I'm headed there now.

Moose...have you had your boat out yet. If so, tell me what you did or didn't like about it since our boats appear to be very similar. I hope to launch mine as soon as the weather warms up a bit. Thanks.
I have not had mine out yet. Any info I offer is backed by endless research. I wanted to take it out this weekend, but I live in Illinois and it is 36 degrees today.

Moose,

If I put the std performance package on, I can go to 225hp. Do you have power steering and/or hydraulic steering on boat. If not, do you wish it did? What do you think your top speed is and a good cruising speed? Also, thanks for the tips for looking at the Yamaha buletins. I'm headed there now.
As I told Skeptic I have not had mine out yet so any info I have is through research. I do have sea star hydrolic steering. It was included in the boat package. However the Bennington rep was at the Indy boat show said with the package I had that the power steering would be better. I guess the jury is out on that, but the dealer seemed to think sea star hydrolic was the way to go.

Gastonguy:

Dad has the G series tri with a 225 Yamaha on it. Let me just say it runs. I have had it out with 4 on and it will scoot across the water. I liked it so much, I ordered an R series tri with the 250 Verado on it.

I have never heard anyone on the water say they were overpowered. Hence, get all you can afford.

I own a 2009 2275 RLi with ESP package. I have a 150 Yamaha and it runs max speed about 37 MPH with two on board. It has no problem at all cruising at 24 with 9-10 people. The 150 is a nice balance for this boat, but if you want more speed go for the Maximum 250HP with the esp package

Back