Help finalizing boat package

Yeah, in finding the yams tend to be packaged with the Benny's. Spoke to a dealer today who said he absolutely favors the Yamahas as well. So I am definitely leaning that way now.

Definitely subscribing to the last boat first policy. Maybe more like "second last boat first". As I'm sure in 20 or 30 years I'll upgrade ! Unfortunately I did test drive a 300Hp Harris tritoon today. Just wanted to check out another name brand to do my diligence. Man, it was insane. That's all they had in the water. Going to be hard to go back to 150! Haha. Nice boats. Going to Look at local Ben dealer tomorrow. Honestly though, all the testimonials on this forum from you guys pretty much sold me on the Benny without even seeing them yet. I feel like this forum could probably sell more boats than the actual dealers.

Last edited:
Don’t rule out a Yamaha, most Bennington’s around here are packaged with them for a reason.

Isn’t the “main” reason that is how most come “packaged” due to Bennington’s deal with Yamaha? :D

Sorry, this Mercury owner couldn’t resist. ;)

It probably depends more on the dealers ability to service the engine. I have read good things about the new Mercury engines and in some ways they are superior. I can get my Yamaha serviced at three shops within 5 miles of my house. They are very reliable engines. You can usually get a very good deal on any engine packaged with a new boat.

I would venture to guess it has more to do with what engine manufacturer offers Bennington the best financial advantages to promote and sell their product.

I've heard there isn't much difference between the regular 150 and the SHO. I'm certainly not that impressed with my Yamaha 250 4.2L SHO. I actually liked the performance of my old 3.3L 250hp. Anyway, the reason so many people are so pleased with the power on that Yamaha 150 is because it's underrated. It's actually about a 163. That's what I've heard but have not verified but if you read up on it you should find some proof.

I believe Nautical is correct on the Yamaha 150 hp. If you look at the fuel burn you will see that its' output is around 160-165. It has been made for many years and not as tech (fly by wire etc.) as many never models but Very dependable. I have one and love it.
On the OP's original question: Researching the Ellipticals vs Two Tubes vs SPS brought me to this forum. In my research and reading most every post in this forum and others on the subject I have an opinion, yes only an opinion. If you are just doing cruising and want the most initial stability and fastest cruising speed then the Ellipticals are the better choice however, if you want to do any type of water sports where faster turning will be a factor then the SPS is the better choice.
If you ever want the boat to exceed in pulling tubers or skiers then you should pay the extra couple of grand and get the SPS....Yes, the Ellipticals will pull skiers and tubers but turns flat and will never make a superb tow boat. I am older and will just do cruising and so I am leaning toward the Ellipticals but just to let you know that I have neither at this point as selling a CC before I jump to the Bennington.

I'm always concerned about resale value (if you've read some of my older posts, you'll see why!). If you are too, consider the SPS to be a layer of protection for that too because no matter how good the Ellipticals are, the general public and/or undereducated boat buyer will not care one bit. They will see it as two tubes no matter how good or fast it is and equate it with the conventional two tube boats.

Back