Help on a 22SSRX Merc 150 HP question

Big Bernie

Reaction score
Hey folks, just purchased a 2016 22SSRX in CA and wondering now if the Merc 150 is strong enough to get me up and going 35 MPH or ?  Family of 4 and sometimes 6 on board. I was told that the 22SSRX can only be purchased from Bennington with the 150 Hp engine, is that true ? and why ?  I just joined the club. Thanks All !

I would expect with a light load that boat would break 40MPH no problem.  Once you start filling it up the WOT will certainly drop but I would think you would still do 35 with 4 on board.

I believe that the 150 is max for ellipticals but if you were to do SPS max HP is 200

I'm pretty sure you can have the Capacity plate updated to 200 on the twin elliptical you go from 14 to 12 passenger. 

Welcome 

To The 

Bennington Family 

Pittsburgh-601717.jpg

I have a 22SSRX with a Merc 115.  With a full tank of gas and just me on board I can hit 31. 

Hey folks, just purchased a 2016 22SSRX in CA and wondering now if the Merc 150 is strong enough to get me up and going 35 MPH or ?  Family of 4 and sometimes 6 on board. I was told that the 22SSRX can only be purchased from Bennington with the 150 Hp engine, is that true ? and why ?  I just joined the club. Thanks All !

Can you clarify what your tube setup is? Express? SPS? Twin Elliptical? That info is important.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 22SSRX with a Merc 115.  With a full tank of gas and just me on board I can hit 31. 

For those following this topic, please note that Scubadad's boat has the Express Performance Package (3rd tube, about 3/4 length).

On my test ride with a 16 ssrx, sps, 150 Suzuki, 600 lbs of people and gear, full tank of gas we got up to 40.  Specs in prop thread.  You should get close. 

The sps model will take a 175 on that length.

You'll hit 40+.

Didn't see if the OP was running a 4 stroke 150 or a Opti 150. Either way, he should see over 35mph and closer to 40 especially if he is running the SPS.  I'll assume he has some form of strakes and foils with that.

Nice boat and power!

Todd

Didn't see if the OP was running a 4 stroke 150 or a Opti 150. Either way, he should see over 35mph and closer to 40 especially if he is running the SPS.  I'll assume he has some form of strakes and foils with that.

Nice boat and power!

Todd

Merc 150. Took it out and hit 35 mph at 5200 ft elevation

Sounds about right for 5200'.  Most of the +- 38 mph are happening around 600'. I have a 22' SCWX and a Yamaha 150 and have seen the 38 ish with 6 adults and three kids. Normal cruise speed for us is in the mid 20mph range for comfort. Water sports are no problem. Great all around craft.

We have a 2013 24SSRX with 150 Yamaha SS 13p prop.  Boat is in Big Bear Lake at close to 7000 feet elevation.  We can hit 40 with 3 people and full tank of gas no problem. Don't do that often with a 35 mph restriction on the lake.  Well e our boat and hope you will too!!

I wouldn't worry about that 35 mph speed limit. Anyone seeing you go 40 will automatically subtract 10 since you are in a pontoon boat and everyone knows pontoon boats can't go that fast. Except us!  Ha ha ha ha!

Back