Help pick a model

NJMike13

Reaction score
Hi,
I live in NJ and the 2 nearest lakes to me are 9.9hp restricted (lame). Almost everyone I know gets a 20hp and changes the decals to 9.9. I had a 14' Avalon pontoon with a 9.9 merc on it about 9 years ago. I could get about 8mph with that boat. I am looking to get S model 168 SF or the 188 SF3. the difference between the two is 175lbs and 1.5ft longer. My question is do you think I would see any difference between the two? I would like the additional deck space of the 188 but don't want to make an already slow boat that much slower.
Thanks

There's more weight, but also more buoyancy because the tubes will be longer too... Not sure what the net result is, but a lot of it is probably a wash. You won't be getting up on plane with that boat, and that makes a difference too, and probably makes the bigger boat a bit slower than if it was able to get up on plane. Others will comment on this.

You aren’t going to notice THAT MUCH of a difference. I had a 615 Gillgetter with 20hp (900-ish ponds) and now have 23GCW with 20hp (2600-ish lbs) Went from 14.5 mph wot to 10 mph.

Back