Help please - need advice... Gas Cap - First big rookie mistake

ImTinkerbella

Reaction score
My husband went out to our dock slip to refill our tank in our new 20SLMX, and managed to knock the gas cap off the boat into the water.

All marine stores in the area are closed for the day, and closed on Sundays.

Does anyone know if there is a universal size that might work for now until the marines stores are open on Monday?

I'm majorly bummed as I have my siblings visiting from out of state, and it means wasting a great boating day tomorrow while also leaving the fill spout for the tank uncapped. :(

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thank you!

While it might be a cheesy temporary fix, maybe just cover the opening with some duck tape. As long as the fuel isn't physically spilling it probably won't be an issue. I'd probably just make sure it's not air-tight to allow for pressure changes (if any).

While it might be a cheesy temporary fix, maybe just cover the opening with some duck tape. As long as the fuel isn't physically spilling it probably won't be an issue. I'd probably just make sure it's not air-tight to allow for pressure changes (if any).

Thank you; yes, that is what we resorted to doing for now as we are not only expecting a huge thunderstorm tonight, but there is a big bass tournament going on and all of the wake created in our slough by the wake causes a lot of turbulence around the dock slips and boat.

Sorry to hear that. Mine has a chain attaching the cap to the boat, I'm surprised yours didn't. At any rate welcome to the forum and you are going to enjoy your new boat.

Sorry to hear that. Mine has a chain attaching the cap to the boat, I'm surprised yours didn't. At any rate welcome to the forum and you are going to enjoy your new boat.

Actually, it did have a chain. First time refueling, and the little spring-type claw which holds the chain in place (or whatever it's called), didn't hold the chain in place... it just slipped right out. (In other words, the chain went right along with the cap into the water.)

Looking at it, it appears to be a bit bent (or at least not tight).

You might check with your dealer. If it popped off WITH THE CHAIN ATTACHED, I would think it would be a warranty item. Maybe they could "borrow" one off of their inventory till they can get a replacement if they don't stock any.

I agree, talk with your dealor.

Turns out that they didn't even bat an eye (or ask to look at the pics) when giving us a replacement gas cap... though they were surprised to hear that it just slipped right off into the water chain and all.

The left side of the retention clip which holds the ball of the chain was definitely tweaked, allowing the chain to just slide right out and to the bottom of the muddy Mississippi.

gascapretentionchaintweak.jpg

The bummer is that the shiny, stainless cap was replaced with a plastic one... the only type they have.

What we used as a temporary gas cap was a plumbing clean out cap which was threaded the same. (It is now in our stash of emergency supplies as a back up.)

To make matters even more fun, we managed to take our boat through one of the back sloughs when returning home yesterday and ran right over an unmarked wing dam... mangling our 4 day old boat's prop. :(

So, we also had to special order a replacement prop (they didn't have them stocked), which will be arriving tomorrow.

As we live on the upper Mississippi River where wing dams reside (they aren't marked in the back sloughs), would others recommend upgrading to a steel prop?

Sorry about your new owner trials. Be prepared to get a mix of reviews regarding alum or SS prop. There's good a bad with both. The alum will allow damage to be absorbed on small dings, without generating too much damage to the drive train, but then if you hit something hard enough, the damage will happen, anyway. The SS prop will chew up a huge selection of things, such as small limbs, rotten logs, small children and/or pets, and such, but if you hit something significant enough like an unmarked dam in the muddy Mississippi or a rock/bolder in a COE lake, the rubber insert in the prop just might not prevent lots of damage to the gears,shaft, and other components of the lower unit. (Ok... just kidding about the kids and pets)

Depending on the damage to prop, they can be repaired and worst case, keep it as a spare, you know, just in case ..... :confused:

Sadly, it's not just curled... it's shredded. Like a vintage saw mill blade.

Perhaps it can take on a second life with an entirely new purpose. :rolleyes:

Maybe an anchor ..... you did say you were looking for one .... ;)

NO to the SS prop. They transmit shocks to shafts and other expensive parts. Stay with the aluminum.

Sadly, it's not just curled... it's shredded. Like a vintage saw mill blade.

Perhaps it can take on a second life with an entirely new purpose. :rolleyes:

This is what happened to mine. I tore up all four blades on my alum prop. Beyond repair. That's when the second guy I took it to, told me that whenever there is that much damage to the prop, you would be better off changing out the LU, because unless you have someone with the right equipment to do an intense examination of the gears, then you can't be sure it affected them. I sure wish I had taken it to this guy the first time. I'd be $1100.00 richer!

Last edited:
The SS prop will chew up a huge selection of things, such as small limbs, rotten logs, small children and/or pets, and such,....

To clarify aluminum props are just as dangerous to people and pets. Use caution around any prop regardless of material. (maybe a feather prop would tickle though, not sure)

Thanks for clearing that, Andy. I certainly didn't mean to suggest that an alum prop wouldn't mince any living person or thing, but I guess it could be taken that only the SS would have the strength to do that. :) I would think that a trolling motor plastic prop would chew body parts, pretty well. I surely don't want to give it a try.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing that, Andy. I certainly didn't mean to suggest that an alum prop wouldn't mince any living person or thing, but I guess it could be taken that only the SS would have the strength to do that. :) I would think that a trolling motor plastic prot would chew body parts, pretty well. I surely don't want to give it a try.
Common sense is dead nowadays so I'm just looking out for society!

Back