Help steer me towards the right boat please

gigem

Reaction score
We are in the market for a pontoon boat to be used on Lake Travis in Texas. The boat will be kept in a slip at the Lakeway Marina.

I have owned boats for over 20 years. Had a Grady White for a long time, and recently sold a Boston Whaler. So I know boats, but I don't really know pontoon boats. I've rented a few...

Here are thoughts on what I need for a pontoon boat... 23' to 24' long, probably a 150 hp 4 stroke engine. In all things I purchase, I tend to go to the lower to middle range offering from the higher end manufacturers. I don't like a lot of bells and whistles, but I do like quality. I don't mind used at all, but I don't want a project. I would love to find a boat with 3-4 years on it or so, and under 200 hours...

Boat will be used for general lake enjoyment. Don't want a fishing layout (although we will fish from it sometimes). Basically benches to sit on, maybe the swingback thing.

Budget is maybe mid 30's...

I don't need a trailer...

Is there a new Bennington that fits this bill, or am I looking used? If used, point me towards a model please... There are just too dang many options for me to wrap my head around!

Thanks in advance!

The S-series Bennington is their entry level boat. They are still an excellent choice. They are well built, with lots of different options. We ordered an s-series with a lot of bells and whistles last year, and love it. Moving up from that model involves some decent jumps in price, and compared to other manufacturers, Bennington is already expensive due to its quality and reputation.

Do you want specifically a SPS (Tritoon) hull paired with the 150hp for water sports, or maybe to improve the ride (smoother and better handling)? If so, that adds about 5k’ish to your boat. However, if getting a 150hp motor I wouldn’t bother with a two toon set up - I’d go three toons or not bother with that hp.

For 23-24’, and particularly a tritoon hull with a 150hp motor, you wouldn’t be able to do it new in your price range. Even without bells and whistles, if buying new that combination is going to push you into the +/- $50k range (with options, you can easily push into that $60-70k range even on the s-series). You’d need to go used and maintain length + HP + 3 toon hull.

Bennington’s are such a great boat, you cannot go wrong getting a used one. Only challenge will be that they hold their value nicely, so even used you may need to shop around a lot for the right boat in your price range.

My Bennington is a 2018 22' SSRPX with a 50hp 4 stroke, mid 30's. Double Bimini added $1200

Like many of us here have found out . Buy your last boat 1st . It is far more cost effective to get everything you want now than sell or trade next season
I am on my 2nd with 3 a possibility .

Right now I'd say that the used market is going to be fairly tight but I'd keep my eyes out. You might have a better selection and more favorable pricing come this fall. I too came from a mono-hull and wouldn't go back.

Some nice basic features to keep in mind would be a tri-toon set up, extended aft deck and perhaps the elevated helm.

Welcome and happy hunting!

50hp seems way under powered

I was not looking for a 50 MPH pontoon, my lake is not that big and my kids are grown. I have a buddy that also has a pontoon for relaxing and a ski boat for watersports that we use if needed. I had a small runabout that I sold when I got my new "old peoples" pontoon, I get about 18 MPH with me and my wife on board. Just trying to give you an idea of what $35,000 looks like new.

Also with two logs boat is only rated for a 115hp.

You can get a 150 with the Elliptical Pontoons

Buying new gives you a 10 year bow to stern warranty as well. Budget is tight to get a tri-toon with a 150 in the Bennington lineup. Might be able to find some old stock somewhere but these boats sell quickly...and hold their value.

Last edited:
Unless you are going to be on really big water, I would go with a 24' Elliptical Pontoon. As previously mentioned, you can go up to a 150, and it will be pretty fast. They are incredibly stable..... you will be pleasantly surprised. The 32" elliptical toons are more bouyant than the 25" round ones, so you will have a higher carrying capacity on the boat as well. Make sure you get hydraulic steering too.
All of the Benningtons I've been on that had the 32" Elliptical toons cornered very hard and flat. There was no leaning port or starboard. Very comfortable ride, even when enjoying watersports and cornering hard and fast. In some ways, I find the ride more enjoyable than a tri-toon that banks when turning sharply.

Unfortunately you won't be able to get new in the $30s on the off brands let alone Bennington. You have a good list, I would go with the S class, tritoon with a 150hp on it. The problem is those are now priced in the mid 50s at the high profit dealers and mid 40s at the more fair dealers.

The one thing you have going for you is timing . . . boat sales drop off a cliff after July 4th so shop to see who has anything left and you should be able to get a better deal.

This is the strongest sellers market to ever affect boats since their invention.

We are very happy with our 150 SPS. When we started our search we were looking strongly at a 115 with two toons. Nothing wrong with that configuration but I’m so glad we listened to this forum. Tubing, cruising etc. it does it all nicely. As much as it might hurt the budget now it is much cheaper to “buy your last boat first.”

i have the exact same boat as Lake Living without the salt water set up. 150 hp is good, but we love our 200 hp for tubing etc...., I know he would endorse this model as well. bought mine last year with 109 hours for $34,000. it has all you need without anything that is just "bells and whistles". it is a great cruiser and good for just about anything. the 24' has extended deck on front and back and is great for parking in the cove and jumping in for a swim or drip drying before you get back to the rest of the boat. tri toons are the future of this platform so this fits that bill as well. mine is in the slip as well so get a good plan to keep the toons clean as that seems to be the #1 topic for us that keep our boats wet year around. Let us know where you land with this great decision, you have already showed good judgement asking the Benny crowd for advice.

Crazy I tell ya, our 2016 was $35k w/150 Suzuki motor, another 3 for a trailer. 22 SSRX, SPS, G buckets, flooring upgrade. Last year same boat at show was 4k more. Worse than the housing market around here.

I like it, alot. very nice. one thing i really like even better than mine is the split rear loungers. on one hand i like the two together that I have, but it makes for an unbalanced load when everyone is on the port side since the lounger is port and the table and L seats are on port (you have dual captain chairs vs L seat, my wife loves the L seat. I also like the double top, for Texas that is a good add. I am a fan of the 200hp motor but plenty on this site think 150 is plenty. The price looks good to me and you have the floor storage. I say go for it!!!

Looks good, decent price, not always easy to find them used like that!

I really like the boat and the price. Very tough to find
Bennington used boats because they go so fast. Make your decision fast.

Last edited:
Looks good. How many hours? People expect a little haggling. Try to get a couple thousand off or at least $1000. Good luck!

Back