Help with Powering Amp under helm for 2014 21 SLX

smorourke

Reaction score
Hello - brand new Bennington owner here. I picked up a used 2014 21' SLX and I am going to upgrade the stereo starting with adding new JL Audio speakers, an amp and sub. I know I need to run power to the battery in the back. I actually picked up the Stinger Amp Wiring kit (4 GA - 7 meters).

Does anyone have some tips and tricks in getting this done? It seems like everything else will be *easy* compared to running the power cable.

I have fish tape already, but am looking for any additional help as far as any access panels that need to be removed or really anything that helps me do this right and easy. Thank you all.

I ran 2 gauge welding cable from the battery area in the back to under the helm. I used the Harbor Freight fiberglass fish rods and didn't remove any panels to get it done. I did this while the boat was on a lift in the boathouse. There was enough access room between the floor and the access panels to use the rods.

I ran 2 gauge welding cable from the battery area in the back to under the helm. I used the Harbor Freight fiberglass fish rods and didn't remove any panels to get it done. I did this while the boat was on a lift in the boathouse. There was enough access room between the floor and the access panels to use the rods.

Thank you! I assume I'll need to pull the boat out of the water at a minimum to properly navigate the wire pulling, fair?

Hey there smorourke! I recently bought a Bennington G23 in July and also put in a new JL Audio and Kicker system. The hardest part was definitely running the power wires from the helm to the battery compartment but you should be fine if you can work your way around all sides of the boat and can feed the wires under the deck. Not sure if your boat has the wave shield between the pontoons but I would definitely get some good fiberglass fish rods as basshawk84 suggested. I would also make sure you wrap the power wires in some kind of protective loom to prevent any snagging or cuts in the jacket. Also, you probably already realize this but you will need to run positive and ground cables back to the battery since there isn't really any good place to ground the amps near the helm, at least there wasn't in my boat.

Good luck!

- JP

I ran my amp to my livewell switch to power it up. No livewell in the boat but the switch already has power. When you need to power up the amp hit the switch. Works great. You can use any extra switch that's not in use.

I ran my amp to my livewell switch to power it up. No livewell in the boat but the switch already has power. When you need to power up the amp hit the switch. Works great. You can use any extra switch that's not in use.
Good info, thx...how exactly did you do that?..I have no live well either but the switch looks pretty populated with wires..,thx

Good info, thx...how exactly did you do that?..I have no live well either but the switch looks pretty populated with wires..,thx
There should be a hot & ground wire on the switch. Connect amp to them,then your head unit to the amp, and of course the speakers to the amp per directions.

Dont mean to hijack, running wires from stern to helm, how does one remove the black skirts around the boat on top of the toons and below the deck? it seems to be bolted from stem to stern. Just remove them? Thank you.

I removed the skirt on mine to instal an adjustable seat pedestal, its pretty easy. 14 ( 9/16 ) bolts held the side skirting on. That will give you access to run wires.

Back