High end flashlight/spot light.

keithkz

Reaction score
Ok I know we discussed this quite earlier this year but I cannot find it anywhere on this site after searching.  What was the brand that most people were raving about?  I'm going to ask the wife for one of these for Christmas this year.

Keith

Never mind...I found it....Fenix brand.  Bennington mods, you can delete this post.  Sorry.

No need to delete, now we know the brand .. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Um, maybe I'm just not with the times, but $225 bucks for a flashlight?  We duck hunt and go out in zero dark 30 every morning.  Fog, rain, snow, etc. We have a old 1Million candle power Q beam that is about 50 bucks and plugs into the 12V accessory plug and lights up the channel markers likes its high noon. I'm not judging and in no way saying you shouldn't get what you want, but what is the end game for this type of flashlight?  I'd be curious to see what people' uses of these flashlights are for

Thanks

Todd

Well I have a 20 million candle power spot light now but it's huge and heavy. I want something that is at least as bright but will also fit in one hand like a regular flashlight will. I will use it on my boat along with my docking lights at night as we have a twisty channel we navigate through to go to other lakes in the chain. I'll also use it in the winter time on the ice. I also have a lot across the street from my house that I like to shine and see what critters are back there.

That is a tight canal you navigate down. Not a straight shot either

Well I have a 20 million candle power spot light now but it's huge and heavy. I want something that is at least as bright but will also fit in one hand like a regular flashlight will. 
The TK75 is a max of 2900 Lumens, that is a max of 231 candle power (in round numbers). Far cry from the millions of candlepower from the larger lights. But it may be exactly what you need for your application.

Steve

Food for thought 

In case there are more thinking of buying a top quality light  :)

I have to say the TK75 looks great to me

IMG_4403-Edit-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The TK75 is a max of 2900 Lumens, that is a max of 231 candle power (in round numbers). Far cry from the millions of candlepower from the larger lights. But it may be exactly what you need for your application.

Steve

Candle power is a joke for a measurement and should always be ignored. They say 1 candlepower equals 12.57 lumens but I'll show you a 180 lumen flashlight that will make your 500,000 candlepower spotlight look sick.

"Lumens" is a measure of how much light a lamp produces in all directions. "Candlepower" is the intensity of light at the center of a spotlight beam when measured in one direction. Thus, strictly speaking, you cannot directly convert lumens to candlepower anyway. So a well designed flashlight with a good reflector will throw all of those lumens in ONE direction. Also know that twice the lumens will not appear anywhere near twice as bright so don't get too caught up in the final number. As long as you have 600 or so, you'll be happy with the performance. I would say be more concerned with battery type and flashlight's features. Fenix sells several models with SOS built in and for boaters I would recommend one of those.

My two favorite battery types are AA and CR123. The AA lights do best with NIMH rechargeables but if you plan on leaving it sit unused for a long time, use Eneloop or Panasonic pre-charged so they don't drain out over time. The CR123 lights are a lot more fun because those little cells hold a LOT of juice and make for some fun and powerful AND SMALL lights. Buy your CR123 batteries online for around a buck a piece. They're 2.5 times that even in WalMart.

I have an older version of this light for my boat: https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-fd45-led-flashlight/ You can get additional money off just by searching for a code or signing up for their mailing list. That light is a steal at that price. I would highly recommend that one filled with Eneloop batteries as a leave on boat light. It will give you a massive amount of light; you'll find yourself showing it off to your friends. It will work with AA batteries which are cheap and easy to find if your recharger isn't handy and it has the SOS feature too.

There is actually a site dedicated to flashlight enthusiasts. I might be "Wattnot" on www.candlepowerforums.com o_O I used to do reviews there a while back and all of today's lights are MUCH brighter!

As long as we're talking massive overkill, has anyone tried one of these? From what I read seems to have a wide beam, not long range spot.

Screenshot_20190223-134046_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Back