Honest opinions needed for new boat build

dmdword

Reaction score
Just found this site and have loved it. Wife and I have been pondering options on our new boat build and we cannot decide on the outboard motor with digital or analog cables. So... we are building a R series fastback. The dilemma is our hometown dealer is pushing the new mercury 250 V8 with digital gauges and throttle. The second dealer only serves Yamaha and is pushing same boat with a Yamaha 250 SHO (or standard F250) with analog throttle and gauges. Second dealer is two hours away but promises on lake service when needed. The boat with V8 mercury is almost 8k more. The mercury dealer keeps saying you don’t buy a mustang with a v6 and we will regret it. The Yamaha dealer is almost taking 31-32 percent off retail which is unheard of. I would love the idea of having everything digital but don’t know if worth the price. I’m transitioning from a 6 year old Benny with the good ol Yamaha 150. I’m sure the 250 even with analog cables will be light years better than what we have been used to. Please let me know what you guys think. I’m leaning towards the Yamaha 250 but wanted some opinions before pulling the trigger. Thanks guys!!

Well, both analog or digital work fine. I had digital Yamaha gauges when I had my SW fishing boat with twin Yamaha 150's and really like them. So, it was a no-brainer for me to pay for the digital upgrade with the Benny. I like knowing the gauges are talking directly with the motor and will alert me if something needs attention. To me, it's worth the upgrade cost. As far as Mercury vs. Yamaha it's pretty much the Ford vs. Chevy argument. Both great motors, I don't think one is better than the other. Really just personal preference.

Sorry I can’t weigh in on this I got that good old 150 :)

Just last month upgraded from a Yamaha 200 with analog to a Merc 350 with digital... Never knew what I was missing...

I’ll never go back...

Last edited:
I had analog on my previous boat and have the digital on my Benny. Would never go back. So smooth and quiet by comparison! I agree with Havasu, Yamaha V Mercury is a personal preference! I choose Mercury simply for the I6 Supercharged Verado 350. Love the technology in that motor

There is a another option...I recently ordered my Bennington G series with the New Mercury 225 V6 with power steering. I got analog gauges with standard shifter. However I also went online and ordered a Vesselview Mobile module. It speaks directly to the motor and transmits all data to your smart phone. (Speed, RPMs, fuels levels and consumption, hours, service etc). The module only cost $260 and is installed with one 10 pin plug. New boat should be delivered shortly.
https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/gauges-and-controls/gauges-displays/vesselview-mobile/

It all depends on what value you put on saving 8k vs having something you haven't had before. I have had both analog in the past and currently have digital throttle and gauges on a 17 RCL and a 18 QSRFB. To me the throttle is smoother and the gauges are nicer because I trust the digital accuracy. I don't put a huge premium or either one but I bought both boats out of dealer inventory. If you do save the money and get the Yamaha you might consider buying a engine interface cable and the Simrad graph and you will have reliable digital information. I have the F250 on my fishing boat and they are bulletproof. If you go that route you might not ever see that dealer that is two hours away.
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/simrad--yamaha-engine-interface-cable--11498532

I’d save the 8K, go analog, add SIMRAD Go 7 and get Yammi motor module and do a NMEA network to the SIMRAD from motor. There’s your digital gauges. If your using 7/365, maybe digital is way to go, weekend warrior, throw the money elsewhere.

I’d save the 8K, go analog, add SIMRAD Go 7 and get Yammi motor module and do a NMEA network to the SIMRAD from motor. There’s your digital gauges. If your using 7/365, maybe digital is way to go, weekend warrior, throw the money elsewhere.
+1

So.... now local dealer has come down and is only 4K more for
The new mercury 4.6L V8 with digital
Throttle. I have no idea what to do. VMax SHO with analog or V8 mercury with DTS. Decisions decisions. Thank you all for your input.

Water test both...

Your decision will be a simple one then...

It’s a pain in the ass, but we’ll worth it...

The 4.6L v8 on the new Mercury would be enough to draw me in, let alone the digital controls. However, I have a personal bias in the Mercury direction anyway. I think it will give better low end and full power range torq and hole shot. Top end probably all pretty much the same. In the end, all those motors are outstanding, so you really cannot go wrong there.

The prudent thing to do is the water test as recommended above. If you have the chance to do that with both motors, for sure take the time. Also, as Semper mentioned, perhaps decide based on how often you will be on the water.

My vote is for the V8.

Wait a little longer. He'll come down even more....

Back