How do I install front bimini top

SPW

Reaction score
I hava a 2020 22ft ssrx and I want to install myself, because the selling dealership would not, a front bimini top using bennington parts and canvas. I have all the materials which I ordered from another bennington dealer. My question is does anyone know where to locate the mounting brackets? Thanks

Why wouldn't they want to install that for you? Or at least they could have recommended somebody to help you.

I paid about a 700-800 dollar premium over boat builder cost to have one installed on a Bennington I bought on the lot. They have to purchase and replace the rear canopy with one that has the zipper on it.

Yep rear canopy has a zipper. You have to replace that canvas too.

Yep rear canopy has a zipper. You have to replace that canvas too.
Yes I have 2 new canvas and front frame and hardware all from Bennington just over $2,000.00 just need some help as to where to mount front frame backets

Jim,
I just got back into town, but will measure the distance from the rear brackets to the front brackets. It may be a a day or so to get to it.
My boat is the 23sxpfb and I cannot find a likely reason that it would be different on your boat.

It might be wise to contact Bennington because there are different measurements depending on boat model. The port side door is located in a slightly different location from model to model. You could use temporary clamps or duct tape to locate "best guess" for brackets and assemble parts and verify fit before drilling permanent holes. The front brackets were 37" apart on my 2013 22 SLX as I remember. The angle of front forward bow should have same angle as the main bimini has when both tops up.. I added pics of some various models with both biminis. The handwritten sheet are the measurements of my straight railing and the rear factory bimini measurements. Hope this helps a little. I bought factory front frame and hardware and mounted it as far forward as possible and then had a marine upholstery shop build new custom biminis.966B0F4D-EB02-4233-BDE4-B2C2113819F2.jpeg413462BF-B740-4E65-8A61-A1E0AEE869C7.jpegE6232A0F-62C5-4A60-8E7D-986D64EBFD7D.jpegB0891F8D-E510-4F30-8128-AC7C00C55C0A.jpeg840D8740-F1AF-48B8-AE32-9F225E175776.jpeg

Jim,
I just got back into town, but will measure the distance from the rear brackets to the front brackets. It may be a a day or so to get to it.
My boat is the 23sxpfb and I cannot find a likely reason that it would be different on your boat.
Thanks for the response, I'll wait on your dimensions

It might be wise to contact Bennington because there are different measurements depending on boat model. The port side door is located in a slightly different location from model to model. You could use temporary clamps or duct tape to locate "best guess" for brackets and assemble parts and verify fit before drilling permanent holes. The front brackets were 37" apart on my 2013 22 SLX as I remember. The angle of front forward bow should have same angle as the main bimini has when both tops up.. I added pics of some various models with both biminis. The handwritten sheet are the measurements of my straight railing and the rear factory bimini measurements. Hope this helps a little. I bought factory front frame and hardware and mounted it as far forward as possible and then had a marine upholstery shop build new custom biminis.View attachment 27596View attachment 27597View attachment 27598View attachment 27599View attachment 27600
Just saw your response, excellent information, yes bennington is telling me I need a ball and socket for the front, I may try clamping the backers and see if original brackets will work. Thanks very much

Attachments

• 20200812_170732.jpg
    20200812_170732.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20200812_170933.jpg
    20200812_170933.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 39
Just saw your response, excellent information, yes bennington is telling me I need a ball and socket for the front, I may try clamping the backers and see if original brackets will work. Thanks very much
If railing is beginning radius at bow where mount needs to be, they need the ball and socket setup to handle being mounted on a curve is my understanding. My 2013 22 SLX used regular brackets for forward bimini and my current 2017 22 SSRCX requires the ball and socket setup.

My front Bimini has the ball and socket anchors on the rail.

Front bimini finally installed, thanks for all of the positive inputView attachment 27802
Nice job! I see you went with standard front mounts instead of ball and socket setup. Might want to consider a pin and lanyard or similar to prevent bow front latchesIMG_4406.jpgIMG_4407.jpg from popping loose. I know they latch really secure when new but they will loosen up with use. The wind is always pushing on arms in direction of release and rough water bounce could add to pressure to release without warning. Just a thought.......

Last edited:
You are correct I have them just haven't put them on yet, in the next day or so before next outing, Thanks

I know my wife would have rather had these, she struggles with the pushing in the pin and twisting it. It is a bit of a pain for sure these are cool!

I hava a 2020 22ft ssrx and I want to install myself, because the selling dealership would not, a front bimini top using bennington parts and canvas. I have all the materials which I ordered from another bennington dealer. My question is does anyone know where to locate the mounting brackets? Thanks
Would you also have an issue with your playpen cover? You will need to have someone alter it to accommodate the new hardware for your front Bimini.

Looking for an extension that I can use and store when under way. We often hang on a sandbar and I’m looking for something that’s easy to setup. More like a awning/shade.

Back