how fast is my boat

floves

Reaction score
My Bennington is a 2010 GCW, 2 - 25" toons, Yamaha 150HP, boat weight with motor is 2719 lbs. Assumed two people and 20 gallons of fuel. Any idea on how fast this boat goes? Thanks.

My Bennington is a 2010 GCW, 2 - 25" toons, Yamaha 150HP, boat weight with motor is 2719 lbs. Assumed two people and 20 gallons of fuel. Any idea on how fast this boat goes? Thanks.
If you have an iPhone or Android phone you can download a free speedometer app that uses the internal GPS to calculate your speed. In fact they even have compasses built-in and the Android free version will even keep a track of your trip...

iPhone sample

Android Sample

my buddy has a 2010 22 QXI with a Yamaha 150 and with 2 on board and almost full tank can hit 41-42 MPH depending on how rough the water is

Good Luck hope this help

Ron

For those of us with the slow boats. I have a 2011 20SLi with 25 inch toons 2 adults fishing gear and about 20 gallons of gas with a Yamaha T50. I got 18mph. Speed reading came off of my Garmin GPS. I was hoping for 20mph but I am satisfied. On a 247 acre lake where an I going to go. :D

I have a 2011 2275FSI with ESP 150 hp Yamaha. I have been able to hit 37 - 38 GPS at 5800 rpm. I figure on smooth water and low humidty I might be able to hit 40. I think you 2 tubers with strakes are about 1 - 2 mph faster than me. Of course this is in a straight line with the proper prop. Now on a slalom run I will blow your bimini off :lol:

Steve

Thanks for the responses. Always interested in how fast boats go with different set ups. I just noticed that I never listed the size of my 2010 GCW. It's 22'6".

If you have an iPhone or Android phone you can download a free speedometer app that uses the internal GPS to calculate your speed. In fact they even have compasses built-in and the Android free version will even keep a track of your trip...

iPhone sample

Android Sample
I downloaded the app and it was perfect with my car. The dually was just 1 or 2 mph off from the app (as expected) and my boat was right on as well. I was impressed. I'm gonna take it out on the golf cart and see how fast it will go. :lol:

iPhone sample

Android Sample
Cool App - Thanks!

The best I have seen with my 115 Yamaha, two logs no strakes is 28mph....my last boat ran 92 mph gps stock with 496 Mag HO's and factory raised x dimension....boy having kids can slow you down! - but were still having lots of fun!!

Last edited:
I have a 2275 RCW with a Yamaha 250hp SHO. It has ESP and 60 gallon fuel cell and aluminum prop. I've hit 45mph with about 50 gallons and 4 people on board. Cannot remember the rpm but will check it next time a go out. i am hoping for 50mph (why...... just because). I feel like I am getting a little more cavitation from the prop than I would like and am thinking of using that prop for a backup and buying a stainless for my everyday use. I do not know the pitch or size of my current prop but if anyone has a recommendation for my setup, I am all ears.

I am only seeing mid forties with my 2275 gcw Powered by a merc verado 225. Currently running a merc stainless prop, any suggestions for me as well?

As for the 2 tuber (std 25") with the 150hp......mid 30's at best.

What if I got a stainless steel prop? Does that help speed? What size should I get? I have no idea what is on my yamaha 150, I looked but nothing is marked on prop.

I have a 22' with the Yamaha F90 engine. The boat was delivered with a 13.75 x 13 aluminum prop. It hit 18 MPH at 5,000 RPM and 20 MPH at 6,000 RPM. I changed to a 13.75 x 15 aluminum prop and it now cruises at 18 MPH at 4,000 RPM and hits 25 MPH at 5,300 RPM (as high as it will go). I'm concerned that the 15" pitch prop might be too much with a loaded boat so I've ordered the only aluminum 14" pitch prop I can get which is 13 3/8 x 14 I feel this prop will probably be the better choice overall. Once I find what I consider to be the right combination then I'll probably buy a stainless version next spring. Will I see an RPM increase with a stainless prop versus aluminum? I know they are lighter and supposedly have less drag but has anyone had real world experience when changing from aluminum to SS with the same specs?

I have a 2275 RCW with a Yamaha 250hp SHO. It has ESP and 60 gallon fuel cell and aluminum prop. I've hit 45mph with about 50 gallons and 4 people on board. Cannot remember the rpm but will check it next time a go out. i am hoping for 50mph (why...... just because). I feel like I am getting a little more cavitation from the prop than I would like and am thinking of using that prop for a backup and buying a stainless for my everyday use. I do not know the pitch or size of my current prop but if anyone has a recommendation for my setup, I am all ears.
I've got a 2550 RCW with the 250 verado on it and was also hoping to be over 50. But, I'm topped out at 43 and change. I've tried changing motor mounting height, multiple different 3 and 4 blade stainless props, and have yet to find anything that works well for all situations. I'm currently running a 15p four blade. It seems to work best when running around with a full load on the boat. But, like yesterday, when there is only the wife, two kids and me on the boat with a half tank of fuel, I tend to blow the prop out too easily. I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I should have kept better notes last year when setting it up as to where I was with each scenario. I have read on another forum of one guy who ended up going to a 350 and a jack plate to finally be able to break 50. These things just aren't made for speed.

I have a 22' with the Yamaha F90 engine. The boat was delivered with a 13.75 x 13 aluminum prop. It hit 18 MPH at 5,000 RPM and 20 MPH at 6,000 RPM. I changed to a 13.75 x 15 aluminum prop and it now cruises at 18 MPH at 4,000 RPM and hits 25 MPH at 5,300 RPM (as high as it will go). I'm concerned that the 15" pitch prop might be too much with a loaded boat so I've ordered the only aluminum 14" pitch prop I can get which is 13 3/8 x 14 I feel this prop will probably be the better choice overall. Once I find what I consider to be the right combination then I'll probably buy a stainless version next spring. Will I see an RPM increase with a stainless prop versus aluminum? I know they are lighter and supposedly have less drag but has anyone had real world experience when changing from aluminum to SS with the same specs?
I have been boating for 42 years and from experiance I can tell you this. Stainless props look very cool and in some situations they do help give a effective edge in performance. However if you ever hit a rock just right you will wish you had aluminum. Say good by to your lower unit and your motor will never be the same. I know first hand because it has happend to me. Save your money and your lower unit. Besides who wants to have the boat in the shop getting fixed as the season ticks away? 25mph with an alumium prop is great.

Back