how fast is my boat

I have a 2274 GLI with a Merc 115. With 3 people and full gas tank I can get 27 mph by speedometer, I was wondering i this sounds right. The wot is 6400 RPM's. Thank's for the replies.

I have been boating for 42 years and from experiance I can tell you this. Stainless props look very cool and in some situations they do help give a effective edge in performance. However if you ever hit a rock just right you will wish you had aluminum. Say good by to your lower unit and your motor will never be the same. I know first hand because it has happend to me. Save your money and your lower unit. Besides who wants to have the boat in the shop getting fixed as the season ticks away? 25mph with an alumium prop is great.
I don't have quite as many years experience, just 24 years. Yes, hitting an object with a stainless prop "just right" can damage your lower unit. However, buying/repairing multiple aluminum props a season due to hitting small sticks gets very pricey also. Any damage to your prop needs to be repaired before it is run on the boat again. A slightly out of balance prop will cause premature wear to the prop shaft bearings and seal. I have seen more damaged lower units due to prop shaft seal failure with aluminum props used than with a stainless prop.

Ranger- I've also got the Merc 115. Mine ran 25.2 mph on gps with me (200lbs), 3 women (130 lbs each), and 1 baby(18lbs). Full tank of fuel and Bimini up. It also runs about 6200-6400 rpms.

Spinzone, thank's for the reply mine has a 15 pitch prop. I will have to use my GPS to see if the speedo is right.

A stainless prop doesn't necessarily give you any performance gain, given that it's the same brand, design, and specs. The benefits of stainless are strength, durability, and they are easily modified...... plus they just plain look great :) .
On smaller HP boats you are correct, however on higher HP engines, aluminum props actually flex and change pitch/performance when under load. That is why you never see aluminum props on properly set up higher HP engine/boat setups. By higher HP I mean 150 and above. On a new 16' Starcraft V bottom boat with a 140 Evinrude, I bought the engine with a 19" pitch alum prop to just see if I was in the ballpark before laying out the cash for the stainless. I then got the exact Evinrude prop in stainless (this was way back when there were not 50 different prop names per manufacturer). I went from 49 to 52 mph with just the change to stiffer(and thinner blades)stainless.

As others have pointed out, there are pro's and con's to both stainless and aluminum.

I will say this however...

At my lake the standard procedure for Drown Proofing is "Stand Up".

In THAT kind of skinny water, I personally think that it's foolish to run an expensive prop. But that is ONLY my opinion, and it's worth exactly what you paid for it. ;)

My Bennington is a 2010 GCW, 2 - 25" toons, Yamaha 150HP, boat weight with motor is 2719 lbs. Assumed two people and 20 gallons of fuel. Any idea on how fast this boat goes? Thanks.
I have a 2008 2275RL with Yamaha 150. Speedo dial mas max of 35mph. With 2-4 persons and full fuel (25 gal), it will peg the needle well beyond the 35 mph mark. I do have wave shield and lifting strakes.

Back