How is your trolling motor working?

FarNorth

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking at installing a trolling motor in the spring on our Bennington Q28 and was hoping that some members who have one could share their experiences so far.

I am particularly interested in the following:

1) What model Bennington do you have (length)?

2) How many pounds of thrust is your TM rated for?

3) How fast does it push your boat in calm vs windy conditions?

4) How long do your batteries last?

5) Any battery details you can recall (PHCA, Group, etc)

I am planning to get one of the new Minn Kota Terrovas with 112lbs of thrust and want to ensure that it really will move the boat appropriately. I would mostly be using it to navigate weed lines or other structure while fishing as well as using spot lock to hold the boat in place. If I am actually trolling and pulling lures behind the boat I just use the main motor.

Thank you!

I have the same question for a 22'.( The guy at scheels said 80lbs min 24v. with the quick remove plate) I was looking at the minn kota also. I like the gps in the trolling motor as I fish ledges for walleye. I also like the remote control. I have had a motorguide for 15 years on my nitro and it has worked well but the guys I fish with that have minnkotas (new gps) seem to spend alot less time steering the boat.

I have the Minnkota Terrova 80 ilink with a Huminbird depth finder and a Lakemaster chip. I have the qiuck release puck and I bought the 60 inch model. I run a 22 SSX and it does an excellent job of holding it on spot lock. On a decent day of 5-15 mph wind it will pull the boat along at 2.4 mph. I can charge it overnight using the on-board charger so I've never had a battery drain issue. I've been very pleased.

I have the Minnkota Terrova 80 ilink with a Huminbird depth finder and a Lakemaster chip. I have the qiuck release puck and I bought the 60 inch model. I run a 22 SSX and it does an excellent job of holding it on spot lock. On a decent day of 5-15 mph wind it will pull the boat along at 2.4 mph. I can charge it overnight using the on-board charger so I've never had a battery drain issue. I've been very pleased.
Is this 12v or 24v?

My details below:

1. 24SLi

2. Minn Kota Power Drive V2 - 55# thrust, 54" shaft

3. I think around 2 - 2.3mph in most conditions - been a while since I checked so not positive

4. I get a solid 8 hours of fishing out of the battery.  If I fish a lot I'll charge every night.  If I just  fish a few hours each day on the weekend I'll pull the battery on Sunday.

5. Group 27 battery - I think

I would recommend this motor for anyone with a similar or smaller size boat.  Your Q is bigger and heavier - you will obviously need a 24v system.  

I should note that I use the motor primarily to move along the shoreline for casting, etc.  I do not use it to troll lures in open water - I'd use the gas motor for this.

Shawn

The Minnkota Terrova 80 is a 24 v model. I have group 27 batteries as well.

I was reading the forums and came across this post and I decided to copy and paste the review I typed up from my amazon purchase and I hope it helps. "This review is from: Minn Kota Riptide 101 ST Saltwater Bow-Mount Trolling Motor with i-Pilot and No Foot Pedal (101lb Thrust, 54" Shaft) (Sports)

I have a big 25 foot Bennington Saltwater edition Tritoon that has been very difficult to anchor in deep water. I wasted way way too much money on electric anchors before I was told about this Minnkota. The electric anchors just couldn't handle the Saltwater conditions and pontoon boats just don't have layout for a electric windlass which requires a anchor closet for the rope and chain to fall in. So the only options you have for a large boat like mine was a regular electric anchor. The anchor had the power to pull up a 30lb anchor. But don't bother with a heavy 30lb pound anchor and just get a medium or large box anchor. The box and is much lighter and holds much better because of the design of this anchor. But that wasn't the problem. The main problem was the constant failures of the electric anchors. I first started out with a trac anchor for a large boat and the first one stopped working and had to get it replaced and then second one stop working shortly after that. Then I had the dealership to remove the front and back trac anchors for some more expensive and better made electric anchors and they eventually gave us problems too. The problem is they just can't handle the Saltwater and the sealed relay boxes just wasn't sealed good enough for Saltwater I guess because I had to beat on the relay boxes all the time to get those anchor to let up or down. The most upsetting of it all was they failed when I needed to catch fish on the water. When they fail and you are sitting in 45 to 50 feet deep water your fishing trip is ruined. They just became so unreliable and I started hating them. Yes I washed down the anchors with fresh water as soon as possible and sprayed lubricant on them. I know you can just throw out rope and anchor manually but in the water I fish in its deep and large pontoon boats need hefty anchors. No one wants to be the anchor man pulling up heavy anchors and hoping it sets where you need it too. Many of the times you don't always set the anchor on the first drop. So I was in bad shape because I couldn't spend any more money on electric and I was already up to 1200 dollars when you include labor cost. That is when a very knowledgeable person at my local dealer told me not to keep waiting money on electric anchor because they are just not made well anymore and they will just keep failing. He told me to research the minnkota i-Pilot system when I get back home and to get back with him after I look at it. He did tell me that it wasn't cheap but I was already close to that price with all the failed electric anchors. I youtubed and read reviews about the ipilot and it's anchoring system and I was very impressed but worried about its ability to hold such a large boat in place against the wind and strong current in the Saint Andrews Bay in Panama City Florida. I purchased it and purchased 3 marine deep cycle batteries with highest reserve rating capacity of 210 minutes from autozone. I got regular lead plate batteries because 3 agm batteries was waaaay to much money lol. I am almost done lol. I got it installed on the Tritoon and took it out in the bay and man the conditions couldn't have been worse. The wind was a constant 10 to 15 miles and hour and the current was up also. That is a lot of wind for a high profile boat like a Tritoon and at my amazement the minnkota was doing very good keeping the boat near where I locked the anchor spot. I just couldn't believe it. Yes it worked it's but off that day and it ran and ran and ran. The max speed is 10 and at times when the wind would gust I looked at the remote and saw that it had to get up to speed 8 to get back on spot but it got back to spot again and the wind from the north and current from the north. We fished for at least 6 hours and at the end of the trip I had 25 percent battery left. So I was very satisfied that the 2000 dollar system including batteries was not wasted and it was so much easier than fooling with anchors and hoping they set where you need them. I highly recommend that you get the longest shaft if you get this for a pontoon boat because you have to think about the waves when you are rough water like I was in that day (white capping). I usually don't even fish in those kinds of wind with a pontoon because it's so hard to handle but the ipilot did it's thing. You better get the most powerful thrust too because you never know and I am sure 80 thrust would have been too weak for my size boat. If this Minnkota 101 can handle what I threw at it that day I don't have to worry about it for my regular fair weather fishing days. Nice job Minnkota very nice job. Amazing is all I can say"

I know this is an older thread, but I also have a Q and I happen to have a Powerdrive V2 with 52" shaft in my shed :)

I just pulled it out to install on a paddleboat for fun, but then I started thinking about how much gas I would save for the slow trips around the lake and this might do the trick...

Where did you install it?  I don't want to install that plate permanently on my boat.  I was really hoping to mount something below the deck if it was possible to reverse the install;  You know how it pulls up and folds flat then clicks in?  I would like undermount that, and fold it flat UNDER the boat...  any thoughts / ideas on that?

I have a MK Terrova 80 with a removable mount, mounted dead center. When removed it leaves a small (approx. 5 x 9 x 0.75) plate. I see no way of mounting any brand or model underneath, seems like it would be impossible to lock in or deploy.

I like this method! Don't use a trolling motor now, but will definitely keep it I'm mind for future.

A trailer hitch for the boat! Mounted to the front no less!

Nice idea. Could also be used for a grill, cooler, ramp, etc...

I wouldn't mind drilling a few holes under the boat, it's the floor I have concerns about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back