How many trips?

jmoreland

Reaction score
I was just curious to see how many lake trips you all take on average? We bought our boat in early June last year and after doing some work to it got in the water later that month. Ours is a 2575FS and I trailered it pretty much every weekend last season till we put it up in late October. We had already decided that we would be getting a slip at one of our local marinas on Norris Lake for the 2017 season. So we started looking in January to see what they had available and in February we picked one out. By far the best decision we have made. We put the boat in the water in mid March and up to this point we are at 18 trips total for the year. We are definitely getting our moneys worth! Its so nice just to head to the lake, uncover and head out.

Our Bennie is on a lift in our backyard.  I take her out around 8 am probably 4 times a week. Typically I go out find a nice spot, turn off the motor, drift and read.

We have a place on the lake so most every day we are on the boat, or at least on a friends boat but due to family constraints we usually only go up Friday through Sunday.  This year that has changed so I think we will now spend more time at the lake.  My goal is to sell our house in Albany and then just travel between Florida and the lake house, just need to get the wife on board 

Another lake front owner here. If the weather is nice we go out after I get home from work and on weekends. Super convenient

We have a place on the lake so most every day we are on the boat, or at least on a friends boat but due to family constraints we usually only go up Friday through Sunday.  This year that has changed so I think we will now spend more time at the lake.  My goal is to sell our house in Albany and then just travel between Florida and the lake house, just need to get the wife on board 

Tell her the family will find their way to the lake. I'm already in the battle and I'm not even retired!

I like your idea, hang in there!

Not near enough.  I will go every weekend if it works out, usually does not.  Try to go out of state once a year, usually Ky. Or Tn.  Went to Norris last year for a week, taking a long weekend to Cumberland in August.

We've trailered our boat to E. Tennessee, to Lake Douglas (9 hrs) and to Arkansas, to Lakes Hamilton and Ouachita (7 hrs) last summer. Next month, we're going to Lewis-Smith Lake in Alabama (4 hrs), then later, to Sardis Lake in N. Mississippi (2.5 hrs), and surely somewhere else. I'd love to take it to Orange Beach, AL (4 hrs) or Destin, FL. (7 hrs), but worried about the salt water. 

As far as when we're home, we take it out one or more times a week. We trailer it, but being a half a block from the boat ramp, we can have it in the water in 15 minutes and back in it's spot in the driveway within 30 minutes, so the trouble is well worth the time spent on the boat. It's still convenient enough to go out for a couple of hours on a weekday evening if we get the hankering. 

Last edited by a moderator:
We have our lake place which is about two hours away from our primary residence in Kansas City, MO.  We have in a slip so it is just uncover and go. We are on the boat both Saturday and Sunday as well as Friday if I can get down early enough.  Long holiday weekends plus vacation times. Between April and the end of September I will have the boat out on the water 50 to 60 times. We will also trailer to other Missouri Lakes at least once a year. This year we will  head to Lake of  the Ozarks for a day. Only an hour from our primary lake.

I just checked my log for last summer. 20 days of boating (could be more than one trip per day, depending) for a total of 59.9 running hours. Many times that just chilling with motor off.

I just checked my log for last summer. 20 days of boating (could be more than one trip per day, depending) for a total of 59.9 running hours. Many times that just chilling with motor off.

Just did the quick math (and I suggest you don't even try it). Cost me about $225/day! Or about $75/running hour.

And worth every penny. ;-)

<SIGH!>  :(

Two more weeks to go until repairs are completed....

Many of you folks will be on your boat more times in a month than I'll get to do in a year. Being up here in Michigan, the season is short to begin with. Add to that that I'm about an hour and half from our lake (thanks to a new 75 MPH speed limit) and I'll be happy to get out 20 times the entire season. Throw in a few summer weekend birthdays or whatever, and it gets even worse. Unlike goldenrod, I don't want to think about how much each trip will cost me! 

I will tell you though, that I make each moment that I'm aboard count! :)

Just did the quick math (and I suggest you don't even try it). Cost me about $225/day! Or about $75/running hour.

And worth every penny. ;-)

Well I am sure happy I haven't kept a log book!! Let's see, 43 hours, 3 seasons, sheesh I should just rent a helicopter for a fun afternoon, probably cost less 

Well I am sure happy I haven't kept a log book!! Let's see, 43 hours, 3 seasons, sheesh I should just rent a helicopter for a fun afternoon, probably cost less 

I hear those have great sound systems that can really move some air!

I bet if you do the math you're probaly pretty close to the same. I mean your boating season is from July 1st to the 5th right?

We also don't live where the boat is (about 3.5 hr drive) so don't get out as much as we'd like. Not sure of number of trips but we have 100 hours in 4 summers. LOTS of other stuff to do in the area too. Our place is on a "small" 400 acre lake. 

Our boat is on order but I hope to use it a couple times a week. We will be trailering so not sure if that will end up playing a part. Living in Florida I hope to be able to use boat year round 

I keep a log book and each of the last 3 years we've been out about 60 times.  I work full time but we're out about twice per weekend, and about once a week we meet at the boat after work on a weeknight to have dinner.  The 1st year we put 100 hours on the motor doing a lot of exploring.  The 2nd year it was 60 hours, and last year it was 50 hours as we do a lot more drifting with the motor off.  Love it! 

Back