How much water is too much water?

BulldogsCadillac

Just some guy
Reaction score
So just wondering how much water is too much water in my center tube? My belief is any, but since when I flipped the center bilge pump on, nothing happened, I wondered if it had to be a certain amount before it would kick in.

Derrick

So just wondering how much water is too much water in my center tube? My belief is any, but since when I flipped the center bilge pump on, nothing happened, I wondered if it had to be a certain amount before it would kick in.

Derrick
If you are talking about the storage in the ESP tube, I have taken the plates out to examine how things are when we got our boat. The floor is a couple inches above the bilge. The pump is in the back of the storage area. If you turn on the pumps at rest you might not pump any water. Leave the pump on as you come to speed and the pump should move water. Rain water should be the only water in the storage area. I don't think that area will get enough water to pump alot but it is nice to have a pump to get rid of the water when it happens.

Well right now there is about an inch or more in there, just a little under the floor panels. I have never left the cover off, I wonder if while the dealer had it they didn't have the playpen cover on or something. All I know is I want it empty.

Derrick

Yeah that would bug me to have ANY water in there especially if I never left the cover off and knew it was never rained on...............just empty it and keep an eye on it...........

Is the bilge pump switched? If so, can you hear or feel it running when turned on. The way our pump sits, it leaves a layer of water. Not an inch deep but noticable. A sump pit in the floor would be great but Bennington would have to build a false floor on the bottom.

Mine had a couple inches as well. Either came from rain or wet people and/or tubes/noodles in the boat. The pump would not remove it until I had it on the trailer. I put the pump switch into manual mode and all the water pumped out very quickly. No issues since.

I removed the water with a wet vac just to see how much was left under the bilge pump. Got appox 3 gallons. I also raised the front of the trailer about 4 feet with tractor to insure I was draining the storage compartment as well. That is a Good idea to turn it on getting on plane.

Mine had a couple inches as well. Either came from rain or wet people and/or tubes/noodles in the boat. The pump would not remove it until I had it on the trailer. I put the pump switch into manual mode and all the water pumped out very quickly. No issues since.

Where is the pump located? Front or back of tube?

I get water in mine as well but after monitoring it I have come to the conclusion that a lot of the water comes from condensation inside the middle tube. Mine doesn't get enough water in it to make the pump kick in, usually just enough to get the bottom wet.

The pump is in the back of the center tube if you open the rear hatch in the floor and look at the bottom behind the fuel tank you will see it.

I leave the storage lid open with the bimini on and it seems to dry everything out by the time we use it again unless it rains from the right direction or something odd like that.

Here we go, Bennington bilge pumps:

ESP tubes with center storage have a "mid-ship" bilge pump. I/O models include a second bilge pump in the engine compartment. The I/O bilge pump is auto and always on, even if the battery switch is off.

The Mid-ship bilge operates via a switch or switches, depending on the model. R & Q models use two switches: Master Power and Auto/Manual Bilge switch. G & S models require only the Auto/Manual Bilge switch. Any of these switches, if left on for a longer period of time, will drain the battery! We suggest turning all switches off when leaving the boat for the evening.

MANUAL: runs as long as you have the switch on, whether there is water in the tube or not.

AUTO: runs only if enough water hits the float to operate.

Water in the storage compartment can come from the lid, condensation, or minimally from the collar between the deck and tube. When you cover your boat, we suggest that you leave the center storage lid OPEN!

You and your dealer can by-pass our system and run your own hot wire, but we do not believe this is necessary.

Hope this helps! TB

Last edited:
I have a G series and was wondering if my pump was working. How loud are the pumps when they run? I have tried my switch in both modes and can not hear anything in either position, I thought it was because it was float operated either way. I will try and turn it on to manual and listen closer again but I am certain that unless it is nearly silent mine isn't working for some reason.

TB Thanks for the reply Question on a 2008 2575 RCW I/O I have one switch for bilge next to blower switch. Do I have only manual operation of the storage pump?

I have a G series and was wondering if my pump was working. How loud are the pumps when they run? I have tried my switch in both modes and can not hear anything in either position, I thought it was because it was float operated either way. I will try and turn it on to manual and listen closer again but I am certain that unless it is nearly silent mine isn't working for some reason.
The pump is normally very quiet and it does not discharge overboard like a fiberglass boat. Best way to check to see if it is working is to crawl into the storage space and feel the pump for vibration while you have the switch on. Fun times! :)

TB Thanks for the reply Question on a 2008 2575 RCW I/O I have one switch for bilge next to blower switch. Do I have only manual operation of the storage pump?
So, the switch next to the blower is the engine bilge. If (and only if) you have in-floor storage in the boat, the mid-ship bilge should work from a switch on the dash. Now you've got TB wondering what you have? lol :rolleyes: :unsure: :blink:

So, the switch next to the blower is the engine bilge. If (and only if) you have in-floor storage in the boat, the mid-ship bilge should work from a switch on the dash. Now you've got TB wondering what you have? lol :rolleyes: :unsure: :blink:
Now I am confused. The boat is new to us. We are still learning. I had the switch covers replaced due to fading. I have several acc switches. Does one of them control the mid bilge pump? Is the engine bilge pump on the switch next to the blower manual or automatic when the switch is on? Next question -The metal housings for the front nav lights have corrosion on them. Are they stainless steel or aluiminum?

Let us look back on that model year and see what we can tell you about your bilge set up. The light housings are stainless and are probably still under the 5-year warranty. You did have the warranty transferred, right? TB

Let us look back on that model year and see what we can tell you about your bilge set up. The light housings are stainless and are probably still under the 5-year warranty. You did have the warranty transferred, right? TB
It was bought by the Nashville Boat Club so there is no warranty. The owner that sold it to me did mention where he got it from. I did not find out about the 5 year warranty till reading the owners manual. I did email customer service about the stitching being dissolved and found out what commercial use does to the warranty. It is still a great boat.

The pump is normally very quiet and it does not discharge overboard like a fiberglass boat. Best way to check to see if it is working is to crawl into the storage space and feel the pump for vibration while you have the switch on. Fun times! :)
My pump is not in the storage area, it sits directly behind the fuel cell in the very rear most area of the center esp tube......... hmmm heavy gas fumes from fuel tank permiation and an electrical device 3 inches from it, now that I think about it I am not so sure I want to ever turn it on if there was an electrical short or malfunction with the pump. Guess I hope to never need the pump :blink: . My pump looks like it discharges into the transom in front of the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here we go, Bennington bilge pumps:

ESP tubes with center storage have a "mid-ship" bilge pump. I/O models include a second bilge pump in the engine compartment. The I/O bilge pump is auto and always on, even if the battery switch is off.

The Mid-ship bilge operates via a switch or switches, depending on the model. R & Q models use two switches: Master Power and Auto/Manual Bilge switch. G & S models require only the Auto/Manual Bilge switch. Any of these switches, if left on for a longer period of time, will drain the battery! We suggest turning all switches off when leaving the boat for the evening.

MANUAL: runs as long as you have the switch on, whether there is water in the tube or not.

AUTO: runs only if enough water hits the float to operate.

Water in the storage compartment can come from the lid, condensation, or minimally from the collar between the deck and tube. When you cover your boat, we suggest that you leave the center storage lid OPEN!

You and your dealer can by-pass our system and run your own hot wire, but we do not believe this is necessary.

Hope this helps! TB
Thank you TB! Sorry that it seems to have opened a bunch of questions and queries! Haha

Derrick

My pump is not in the storage area, it sits directly behind the fuel cell in the very rear most area of the center esp tube......... hmmm heavy gas fumes from fuel tank permiation and an electrical device 3 inches from it, now that I think about it I am not so sure I want to ever turn it on if there was an electrical short or malfunction with the pump. Guess I hope to never need the pump :blink: . My pump looks like it discharges into the transom in front of the engine.
Don't worry Bill, it's an NMMA approved pump, no sparks!

:p

Back