How old are you, and still ski?

Spoiledrotten

Reaction score
I'm 57.5 now, and my wife's afraid for me to try to ski again. We've been married almost 16 years, and she's never seen me ski. I used to tear up the water when I was in my teens and twenties, but haven't in a long time. I'd love to give it another try, but she scared I'll hurt myself. 

So, to those over, say 40, what say ye? I know you young studs will post up those bragging pics, like I would have done years ago, so if you have to rub them in my face, I'll still enjoy them. :D

I'm just wondering if I'm getting too old for that kind of fun.

We have a full slalom course right off the end of our dock and almost all of the guys (and gals) who use it early mornings are 50+. Like you, I enjoyed a lot of slalom in younger days, but unfortunately, too much extra weight and back surgery a couple years ago caught up with me. I do enjoy teaching others and being behind the wheel though. There are plenty of people here 60+ who take care of themselves with stretching, regular fitness routines, running, biking, etc and they continue to ski very well, though maybe not 28 off any more.

58.5 here. I still get up, on skis, at least once a year. Would love to do more, but spend a lot of time teaching kids how to ski. I am no expert, but do manage to get it done.

I am very careful with the knees, Had one scoped a couple of years ago.

Now, when I do ski, I generally feel it the next day...

Let's hear it for the old guys.

Brian

Hey, you're not dead at 57! If you feel up to it then go for it! I'm about the same age but had to give up all forms of skiing due to back problems. However, I know of several guys that have 10+ years on me that continue to ski. Age should not be a limiting factor for most things in life!

I'm waiting for BigKahuna to take me out at 65.

No skiing for me. However, I do like to wakeboard every trip out. At 46 I do feel a little more sore a little longer. I am working on teaching my 7 yo this summer.

/monthly_2016_05/large.IMG951560.jpg.d69913f3fb863af0b7a4a6a10363c065.jpg

For the life of me I cannot get up on a wakeboard. My mind/muscle memory won't allow it. Maybe this year...

Good responses. I'd love to find my old TC505. Wife said if I could find it, she'd support me. 

I think you should go for it. I still ski and tube when i'm not pulling kids behind the boat. What i'm wanting to do is bare foot skiing again. And my wife says she wants more life insurance on me first. So I just had to take a physical for the extra coverage. Wish me luck,my son already agreed to pull me. :eek:   :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Turning 59 this year and I still ski to everyone's surprise around here. Go For It!

Old enough to know better  :lol:

I'm waiting for BigKahuna to take me out at 65.

This year Carl!!! 

I haven't skiied for years but used to back in the day and even barefooted on the boom of my father in laws Mastercraft! My wife still slalom skis. Of course she'll tell you because she's so much younger than me. Riiiiiiiiiiight......

For the life of me I cannot get up on a wakeboard. My mind/muscle memory won't allow it. Maybe this year...

Same with me. Never got up on a wakeboard although my kids picked it up quick.

I am perfectly content to drive the boat (Hit it!) or pull in the ski rope or the skis.......

I last skied about 25 years ago and my arms were rubber within 5 minutes. And for a week after.

I'm now the driver and my role is to consume the beverages for those too young to imbibe. But not while driving. Of course. I hear the ads in the radio. Don't drink and drive. Yes, sir. That's me.

;-)

I also used to own and ski on a "ski scat". It's a slalom ski that was about 4" longer than both of my feet put together. Yes, I have big feet! It was a lot of fun. I always had to drop a ski to use it. Trying to come up out of the water on that one, felt like it was going to pull my arms out of the sockets. 

Ski%20Scat.jpg

This is not me, but you can see the challenge the ski scat can be. 

Use two skis. 

Water is pretty soft (above 32 degrees) at the slower speeds you can achieve with a combo pair...  

46 years old.  Blew shoulder out a couple years ago after a bad slalom fall around the course buoys.   A year of PT later and good as new.  Went slalom and wakeboarding a couple times last year and plan to ski lot this summer.   Maybe even try barefooting again.   Kids keep me young......

Wow, that's all I would need after talking my wife into blessing my efforts on a ski again... to blow out a body part. Good for you, Evan. Glad you were able to bounce back the way you wanted. 

Back