How old are you, and still ski?

I just turned 45.  My cousin's and I (46, and 48) slip the ski on once a year.  We've been doing it since we all came home from college in the mid 90's

Great topic!

Todd

I skied last season on a friend's boat for the first time in almost 20 years. I eventually wiped out trying to jump the wake like I used to. Add one more thing to the list of stuff I can no longer do. Took a major snoot full.  An hour later at the beach I read a sign that says no swimming due to high ecoli levels...  No wonder I was the only one skiing. What doesn't kill you....

Still ski and knee board at 50. I only slalom. If I use 2 skis my knees tend to hurt a little longer. I have not tried barefoot since about 35 and think I will keep it that way. I enjoy the knee board the most. Never tried wake boarding it just looks like too much work and not enough relaxing enjoyment. Go for because when you quit being active your body will join you and quit too.

I'm 74 and tubed with our 5 year old granddaughter the last two summers.  Couldn't ski due to hand disease which caused my fingers to permanently close on my left hand and I thought it would be too hard coming up with one hand.

Had hand surgery Tuesday, hope to ski after I complete my rehab.

Royo

I'm 74 and tubed with our 5 year old granddaughter the last two summers.  Couldn't ski due to hand disease which caused my fingers to permanently close on my left hand and I thought it would be too hard coming up with one hand.

Had hand surgery Tuesday, hope to ski after I complete my rehab.

Royo

I liked this and I'm reposting it to like it again! That's awesome! 

I'm loving these responses! Thanks for taking the time to tell us about your experiences. 

His granddaughter says "Grandpa you rock!" for sure ;-)

Still ski and knee board at 50. I only slalom. If I use 2 skis my knees tend to hurt a little longer. I have not tried barefoot since about 35 and think I will keep it that way. I enjoy the knee board the most. Never tried wake boarding it just looks like too much work and not enough relaxing enjoyment. Go for because when you quit being active your body will join you and quit too.

I don't sit around. I cycle anywhere from 15 to 65 miles several times a week. I'm trying to stay active.

BEA139DB-26E0-4413-B5D0-F8DE8834E854.jpg

55 and would like to continue skiing for many more years. We have a variety of water toys and enjoy them all. We love to teach newbies the joy of playing on the water. Toys include slalom ski's, double ski's, knee board, kneeboard trainer, ( for our grand kids), and the newest one is a surf board. We can't use the surf board like they do with a properly rigged ski boat. We still use a tow rope but it is still a fun ride. Oh and my better have is a year older than me and she still slalom ski's as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
50 here. No skiing, but I run. Normally 2-3 5k (3.1 miles=5K) a week. Just finished a 5k, was 67th out of 438 and 5th in my age group. JUST DO IT !!  :D  

The oldest one to ski in our family was 58, but what about the other side of the spectrum.  Our youngest skier was 6 years / 10 months when she got up totally unassisted, using non-trainer skis.  Once the boat is in the water, my uncle can set a new family record at 59 years old.  A side note, when I first got my present Bennington we pulled 7 around our lake.  Now that was a fun day. We have a blown up picture of that hanging in the living room.

We need photos!!!!!!

My hero is the little woman, 57 years old. The kicker is she just started a couple of years ago and has little to no "skill" to fall back on. Even more impressive is she's done it with a torn rotator cuff, the last year + has been a hard go but she push's through. Surgery is scheduled for a couple of weeks from now. Figures...just got the new boat and she's down for the summer. Moths of rehab ahead, but I know she will be back at 58  years old and still getting it done, along with running, Kayaking, paddle boarding, biking, the gym,....it goes on and on. Me...I'm the family couch potato...  but I still drive the boat.

2016[SIZE=8pt] [/SIZE]• 21SLXP • Blackout Edition - Midnight Black • 150 HP VMAX SHO 25 IN • SPS / Tri-toon • Bimini Top Curved-Blue Ice LED • Extended Aft Deck • 4 Step SS Ladder • Pillowtop Diamond Upholstery • Recliner - G Series Helm Chair - Adjustable Height • Bow Table • Bow Gate Seat • Custom Wheel  • Echo 301dv • In-Floor Storage Lifting Strakes • Dock Lights in SS LED • Blue Ice LED – Illumination • Pop Up Cleats • Ski Tow Bar

Go to my albums, then click on Watersking Weekend.

Spent a lot of time on the water skiing, used to slalom trick ski (a few toe hold tricks, wake tricks), slalom skied at 22 off (could make a couple balls at 28 off, had an accufloat slalom course in front of our house), barefooting was just something to do (its really not that difficult IMO, deep water starts take some time learning), did a couple jumps but wasn't worth a darn at that (and didn't like it). In my older age I would use wetsuit booties to barefoot, the old feet became a lot more tender over time and I also became more aware of floating debris.

I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis at age 37, it progressively has gotten worse. Stopped skiing at 43 but decided to barefoot once around the cove every 5 years. Did it at 45, 50, and 55, now it's time for my 60 run sometime this summer/fall. Really not sure how this time will go, my hands hurt so bad I've stopped playing golf (yes oversize grips with a couple wraps doesn't hide the pain now). Hope I can hang on to the handle long enough to at least make a few hundred feet straight away, we shall see.

On another note: My youngest son at age 2.5 came strolling out with a pair of small water skis one afternoon wanting to learn to ski. I was thinking this isn't going to wok out but he insisted. I had my wife pull the jetski over, tied up a 20 foot piece of rope and thought to myself; "couple tries he's done, will not like the ole water in the face". I would hold the skis in the proper postion and guide him to sit back on them. Well his second try he was off and gone, never looked back! At age three he was slalom skiing effortlessly, getting up on one, cutting through wakes, etc. We used to laugh as he seemed so small. He was really good, great form, etc. Many boaters for the next few years would stop and just watch, that became a everyday event in the summer months.

Do not underestimate your children! If they like water give them a try, you may just be as surprised as I was.

Steve

Great story Steve. I'm hoping you'll be able to get out there this year for another run. And as for your little guy skiing, it gives me inspiration with my little guy. He'll be a year old at the end of July so I still have some time!

That was a great story, StevL! Thanks for sharing, and I'm pulling for you for the 60 year anniversary edition of the ole barefoot. Maybe someone would video it for us?

For what started out as a simple question for you guys, has turned into a pretty interesting topic. Thanks for all of the responses and life's events pertaining to this subject! I'm loving it!

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great story. I love it when the babes are taught to love the better things in life. Activity is becoming the exception rather then the rule for our youngsters. Congrats. Hope your 60 barefoot is a huge success.

Steve, great story and I'm pulling for you.  

Our grandson is 7 months old. Can't wait until we can teach him to ski. He started swimming lessons today.

His cousin will be only 10 months behind him.

Loving being a grandparent.

Brian

Back