How to add rear speakers to swingback model

FFCars

Reaction score
I just bought our first boat and live it. It’s a SX 22 swingback. In just 2 weeks of ownership, we’ve already logged 25 hours. Our boat didn’t come with speakers on the back of the boat. There’s just 4 speakers connected to the Kicker KMC 45.

Has anyone figured out how to add rear speakers? I’ve looked for surface/flat mount speakers and can’t find any. I don’t want to attached the speakers to the rear rail. I’d love to find a way to just add them to the back in enclosures or something.

thoughts?

thanks!

Attachments

• 3E7AE0C2-EB38-4041-8A38-9591401EFC92.jpeg
    3E7AE0C2-EB38-4041-8A38-9591401EFC92.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 86
I don’t want to attached the speakers to the rear rail. I’d love to find a way to just add them to the back in enclosures or something.

thoughts?

thanks!

I ordered ours in 2017 with the chrome mesh “Bennington” speaker panel back there. Frankly, in looking my rear swingback over, it is structurally the same as yours. However, between your left and right center up and down aluminum rail supports beneath the seating area, on mine, the skirting is removed, and the chrome panel with speakers attached over the top of that same area (see picture below).

As a result, I would recommend doing something like that as it is a cool finish. Perhaps pre- measure and design some sort of rectangular panel with the speakers mounted within it. Could probably be any basic material really: metal, composite, plastic molded piece depending on the “look” you want.

Then just run the new speaker wires and secure them under the swing back seat storage area.

Then cut out and remove the fence panel that runs between the two up and down aluminium panel supports along the rear area of your swingback seating base.

Finally, attach the panel with speakers and connect the speaker wires.

In essence, pre-make a panel that would fit onto your rear area that substitutes for mine in the picture below:

17249FD9-E7ED-42DD-8F65-5F1494FB988F.jpeg

I've thought about this too, since, while floating behind the boat, you can't hear the music without cranking it up on the boat, which, is bothersome to those still on the boat. Wondering if that panel can be purchased and installed now through the dealer?

The scary part would be cutting the panels....

You could always mount a tow bar and then put speaker pods on them.

You could always mount a tow bar and then put speaker pods on them.

I thought about that, but didn't like the idea of having expose wires (zip tied to the bar?) or drilling holes in the bar and snaking the wire.

I ordered ours in 2017 with the chrome mesh “Bennington” speaker panel back there. Frankly, in looking my rear swingback over, it is structurally the same as yours. However, between your left and right center up and down aluminum rail supports beneath the seating area, on mine, the skirting is removed, and the chrome panel with speakers attached over the top of that same area (see picture below).

As a result, I would recommend doing something like that as it is a cool finish. Perhaps pre- measure and design some sort of rectangular panel with the speakers mounted within it. Could probably be any basic material really: metal, composite, plastic molded piece depending on the “look” you want.

Then just run the new speaker wires and secure them under the swing back seat storage area.

Then cut out and remove the fence panel that runs between the two up and down aluminium panel supports along the rear area of your swingback seating base.

Finally, attach the panel with speakers and connect the speaker wires.

In essence, pre-make a panel that would fit onto your rear area that substitutes for mine in the picture below:

View attachment 27432

Any close up pics of that setup? What is the panel screwed to? Are the vertical supports the same as ours (thin and round, not square like the horizontal)?

Any close up pics of that setup? What is the panel screwed to? Are the vertical supports the same as ours (thin and round, not square like the horizontal)?

I don’t have close ups. I will try to remember to get some when my boat is back from the welder.

I don’t have close ups. I will try to remember to get some when my boat is back from the welder.

I found this pic on benny's website. Looks like a square vertical rail where the panel mounts. Different than my round vertical rail.

Attachments

• bennigton-sx-premium-media-3.jpg
    bennigton-sx-premium-media-3.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 79
I found this pic on benny's website. Looks like a square vertical rail where the panel mounts. Different than my round vertical rail.

I guess you could, in theory, just leave those 2 vertical screws out? I don't know. Just spit-balling.

Last edited:
I got to find out what it looks like without the grill when some scumbag stole the grill and the speakers this past spring. The darn grill is $1200 by itself. I wasn’t impressed, to say the least.

Attachments

• E5B5E0D2-3153-419C-B5FA-A7EFC9143642.jpeg
    E5B5E0D2-3153-419C-B5FA-A7EFC9143642.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 106
  • DEC0F8AA-998C-4BEF-B22F-3B50305ED61E.jpeg
    DEC0F8AA-998C-4BEF-B22F-3B50305ED61E.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 106
I got to find out what it looks like without the grill when some scumbag stole the grill and the speakers this past spring. The darn grill is $1200 by itself. I wasn’t impressed, to say the least.

Wow. That's terrible.

So that is a different rail configuration. Given the price of the grill, this could be well over $2k to get this retrofitted....

Will your boat insurance cover any of it?

Our insurance would cover it but there’s a $1000 deductible plus I’d lose $1500 in claims free discounts over 3 years so in the long run it’d cost me $2500 to use my insurance and that’s about exactly the amount of the stolen grill and speakers. They stole 4 out 6 speakers, powered sub, and the grill.
I installed stainless security screws in the grill and speakers now. It probably won’t help but gives a little peace of mind anyways.

That’s horrible. Just horible. I am sorry to hear this happened to you.

Just don’t understand low down evil people and how they become that way

Just don’t understand low down evil people and how they become that way

And sadly if you set up a security system to zap them when trying to steal it, you’d get sued AND LOSE!!!!

I just bought our first boat and live it. It’s a SX 22 swingback. In just 2 weeks of ownership, we’ve already logged 25 hours. Our boat didn’t come with speakers on the back of the boat. There’s just 4 speakers connected to the Kicker KMC 45.

Has anyone figured out how to add rear speakers? I’ve looked for surface/flat mount speakers and can’t find any. I don’t want to attached the speakers to the rear rail. I’d love to find a way to just add them to the back in enclosures or something.

thoughts?

thanks!
Attached is a picture of the inside of ours, happy to snap some more pictures if you need any. D6329C2D-D128-4EE1-AC2D-D09DA93CF58B.jpeg

Attached is a picture of the inside of ours, happy to snap some more pictures if you need any. View attachment 27540

After further investigation, that plate that the strut for the swing back pad is mounted to is different. Mine is thin and not cut out for the speaker, so that would be another thing to be modified.

Back