How to Properly Disconnect Battery(ies) for Offsite Charging

SSBXPCaptain

Reaction score
We've got a 2017 24' SSBXP 'Swingback' with the dual battery configuration. It's also got the 200HP Mercury Verado engine with Digital Throttle System (DTS). After pulling out of storage, the batteries appear to be drained down a bit, since neither battery #1 or battery #2 will start the engine by itself. When the master switch is positioned on #1 & #2, the engine will start. Bottom line, the batteries need to be put on a charger and brought back up to a full charge. There is no power at the slip and I don't want to bring a generator that I'd have to babysit for hours. My challenge is that if both batteries are removed at the same time, I know the DTS will lose power and have to be reset, probably causing maintenance visit charge of $100+. So, can anyone explain the proper technique/process to remove one battery at a time for recharging, so that power is not completely lost to the DTS?

Actually, I remove both batteries for winter storage and have never had a problem with the DTS needing to be reset. I think you should be just fine removing both and recharging them.

We've got a 2017 24' SSBXP 'Swingback' with the dual battery configuration. It's also got the 200HP Mercury Verado engine with Digital Throttle System (DTS). After pulling out of storage, the batteries appear to be drained down a bit, since neither battery #1 or battery #2 will start the engine by itself. When the master switch is positioned on #1 & #2, the engine will start. Bottom line, the batteries need to be put on a charger and brought back up to a full charge. There is no power at the slip and I don't want to bring a generator that I'd have to babysit for hours. My challenge is that if both batteries are removed at the same time, I know the DTS will lose power and have to be reset, probably causing maintenance visit charge of $100+. So, can anyone explain the proper technique/process to remove one battery at a time for recharging, so that power is not completely lost to the DTS?

I defer to Michiman’s advice. I just had to comment on the similarity in our boats. Good taste my friend! We have a 2017 24’ SSBXP with the 200 Mercury Verado and same batter set up too. I’d love to see a picture of your boat to compare it to our own since they share some key similarities. Good luck on getting your batteries up to full health.

Last edited:
Back