How to Tiedown your Benny when Trailering

dannyleininger

Reaction score
So today for the first time we trailered the Benny behing our motorhome. Quickly realized that I must tiedown the front and rear. So I’m needing your suggestions. I leave Friday for the Keys (300 miles). Your suggestions appreciated.

Here’s pics of the front and back straps.

6E2C9725-833D-4E00-A121-A896021B0ADF.jpeg D070E459-CC61-4BC1-ABB9-4D5E920E859E.jpeg

Wish I could help but we don’t even own a trailer.

You can just ratchet strap to the eyelets on back of each outer pontoon and you already have the safety chain plus the winch strap on the front. Guess you could ratchet strap to the front eyelet of each outer pontoon, just don't overdo it. Snug it up and check it at your stops as it might need snugging after some miles20161001_143804.jpg

You can just ratchet strap to the eyelets on back of each outer pontoon and you already have the safety chain plus the winch strap on the front. Guess you could ratchet strap to the front eyelet of each outer pontoon, just don't overdo it. Snug it up and check it at your stops as it might need snugging after some milesView attachment 21915

You can just ratchet strap to the eyelets on back of each outer pontoon and you already have the safety chain plus the winch strap on the front. Guess you could ratchet strap to the front eyelet of each outer pontoon, just don't overdo it. Snug it up and check it at your stops as it might need snugging after some milesView attachment 21915

I’ve done the back the best I can. If I run from the rear eyelet on the tube the strap would cross the metal brace for the bunks. That’s scary. On a previous trip I used a smaller straps on the front, but I was pulling with my Expedition. The motorhome bounces much more so I went with a larger strap.

I’ve done the back the best I can. If I run from the rear eyelet on the tube the strap would cross the metal brace for the bunks. That’s scary. On a previous trip I used a smaller straps on the front, but I was pulling with my Expedition. The motorhome bounces much more so I went with a larger strap.
For the back, can't you just run the strap straight down from the eyelets and attach to your trailer that way? Yes it will be going over the transducer / accessory bracket, but it will be fine as long as you just snug it. Or better yet, just mount a couple of the straps on an angle towards the middle of the trailer and the brackets won't be in the way at all.

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Powers...r9mxdbfaov57a_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=automotive

Or you could just mount a D ring on the trailer (on an angle on either side of the center reflector) and still use your regular ratchet straps

I don’t have a trailer, but the neighbor’s that I do use has solidly attached rings to the sides of the welded taillight brackets that I/we attach the rear straps to. I use the loops on the rear of the boat for that attachment. The straps don’t interfere with anything on the boat. It is a scissor trailer though - not a bunk trailer like most of you use.

What you have should be good for this trip. Get 4 of these.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Transom-Tie-Down-Strap-2-Width-Quick-Release-Buckle-4-Ft-Length/11071278 Have eyes installed on the trailer frame that are as near to straight down as possible from the toon eyes. Even better, have these added to frame. https://acetiedown.com/product/retractable-transom-tie-downs/ I would see about adjusting your winch tower back or trimming the rear of the bunks so they are equal to the toons. See Derricks. Travel safe, have fun.

Not trying to be ultra negative. Maybe get a CDL and learn why and how to follow the rules set forth by states on length and securing loads on trailers. It always amazes me how anyone can buy a bus and not be trained to drive one. Safety for all. Right? Sorry if I have offended anyone but I have worked in the trucking industry and have seen the peril in overloaded, over length, and improperly secure loads on our nations highways and it’s costs to all of us. Just because you have seen it done by others doesn’t make it safe. Beautiful Bennington and way cool Motorhome. Just be safe.

Hey guys.....In the first pic of Dannys boat is it my eyes or is the center tube not touching or being supported by the bunks on the trailer?????

I for 1 wouldn't trust that rear strap setup.

Our weekend trips are 305 miles one way or there about. We’ve modified our trailer to accept a cover over the rub rail in the front to keep the air out of the cover, I’ve only speed tested it to 80mph and no issues! ;) I use the rear tie downs as shown in your pic, that little red one is useless. Tie from the loop on toon down to the trailer just as designed. In the front make sure the front is against the stair tower and your pull strap is snug and safety cable is attached as this may be an add in ticket if stopped for anything else. I also tie the front down from the two lifting loops under the deck to the trailer frame. Before you mount anything permanent just loop it around the frame until you find the correct location, this will keep the bounce to a minimum. TAKE NOTE! Your trailer was designed to flex and move as it goes down the road, if you strap the boat so tight nothing can flex you’re going to break some thing!!

Attachments

• 5846908F-7F57-48B8-8680-4A606CF4B542.jpeg
    5846908F-7F57-48B8-8680-4A606CF4B542.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 95
Hey guys.....In the first pic of Dannys boat is it my eyes or is the center tube not touching or being supported by the bunks on the trailer?????
It looks like an express tooon boat not an SPS/ESP hull

My trailers is definitely not as cool as Derricks but the same tie down design.

Attachments

• 5EA574E2-4319-4490-8BDC-A5AE1E64CE35.jpeg
    5EA574E2-4319-4490-8BDC-A5AE1E64CE35.jpeg
    136.3 KB · Views: 94
That’s just a freaking cool boat !!

I for 1 wouldn't trust that rear strap setup.
Agree. Must use heavy duty ratchet straps from the eyelets from the boat directly to the trailer....

But shouldn't it still be supported/touching???
No the back motor pod is much more compact, it’s. Basically a triple toon trailer to offer support to the 3/4 tube, that motor pod will never touch unless you have a catastrophic issue

So today for the first time we trailered the Benny behing our motorhome. Quickly realized that I must tiedown the front and rear. So I’m needing your suggestions. I leave Friday for the Keys (300 miles). Your suggestions appreciated.

Here’s pics of the front and back straps.

View attachment 21907 View attachment 21908
After all this have you ran it back to the place you bought it from? Most places that sell trailers will offer you the correct advice on how to tie down what you’ll be hauling plus sell you anything additional you may need. Looking through your picks again that’s a really sweet trailer let alone not inexspensive and I can’t believe that thing wouldn’t be set up with the correct tie downs from the start! 90% ofbthe time just the rear tie downs and the strap are more than enough.

Back