How to Tiedown your Benny when Trailering

What you have should be good for this trip. Get 4 of these.https://www.walmart.com/ip/Transom-Tie-Down-Strap-2-Width-Quick-Release-Buckle-4-Ft-Length/11071278 Have eyes installed on the trailer frame that are as near to straight down as possible from the toon eyes. Even better, have these added to frame. https://acetiedown.com/product/retractable-transom-tie-downs/ I would see about adjusting your winch tower back or trimming the rear of the bunks so they are equal to the toons. See Derricks. Travel safe, have fun.

I had previously used the Quick Release Tie-down strap on the front. It seemed to work but I was concerned they would slip?? Did you ever have that problem? The large Yellow Rachet Strap is overkill and I’m thinking that running it over the deck is a bad idea. As for the Retractable Transon strap, which is a really cool idea, we will be launching in salt water. I would worry about corrosion, etc. Plus the trailer is all I-beam construction which would make it tough to install.

Thanks for your reply!

The way your front tie down is hooked to the trailer is fine just use the eyelet under the deck instead of going over the trailer.

I agree with BulldogsCadillac. If you run those straps over the top of your boat and they just loosen up a hair chances are they are going to rub in spots that won't make you happy. Look at Bulldogs picture that is your best bet.

Use the under deck eyelets in the front if you can. They are your best option.

In the rear, that setup across the toons will rub off the Sharkhide and leave you with a stripe that can't be polished back to match perfectly so I would go another route.

When you have more time, consider some boatbuckles. With their accessory brackets slightly modified (bent), they are awesome. They are only so long so placement and some additional eyelets may be in order but we mounted them both front and rear and absolutely love ours.

FYI, our dealer is one of Bennington's original, founding dealers and has sold and trailered numerous boats all over the Midwest for many years. He highly recommends tieing down the front to eliminate bounce but has told me he never ties down the rear. In all these years he said the only problem he ever had was flipping the boat and trailer in an almost head on collision when a guy crossed the center line and clipped the trailer at the fenders (not that tiring down would have done less damage).

That being said, I still felt better tiring the rear too, per above.

Yeah, I use the manual quick straps at all four corners. When these are done/gone I will install the permanent at all four. I have loops on my frame at the front/back to tie to. I am surprised your dealer did not give you a proper tie down set, mine gave me all four, embroidered with their logo of course. There has to be a way to weld or bolt hoops on your trailer, hell bolt on some big U bolts around the frame if thats all you can do.

IMG_20180408_132314916.jpg IMG_20180408_132310305.jpg Where are the eyelets in the rear Danny???

View attachment 21928 View attachment 21929 Where are the eyelets in the rear Danny???

The available eyelets are on the ends of the pontoons and then I will wrap the trailer frame. I have purchased new ratchet straps today and will run them down the center of the rear tube over the box that houses the anodes then back to the trailer. I was originally worried about crushing the anode box or pinching the transducer wires. In reality neither was a concern.

On the front, I have moved the tiedowns to the eyelets on the outer tubes then down to the trailer frame. This is a much cleaner setup than what I had first done. It’s dark here so I will take pictures in the morning and post.

Thanks for all the suggestion and input. I will still be running this trailer behing my motorhome even though I am a bit over the legal length. Just in case any of you have FHP relatives...I’m headed to Georgia not the Keys. :D:D:D

Safe trip Danny!

I didn't read all of the posts, but I use the short straps from the stern toon eyes to the trailer eyes that were installed from the beginning. I also use a matching short strap on the bow, going from the center toon eye to the trailer. I do not trust only the winch strap and the safety chain. My bow will bounce when not strapped down. The winch strap only keeps it snugged horizontally.

I have two straps running from the eyelets on the back of the boat down to the trailer. They are from cabelas and work great. For the front I leave the winch tight, then I have another strap that pulls from the center eyelet down on the ladder stand to pull it down.

Well, here’s what I have done. I like lakeliving’s idea for the bow, except the center bow eye is full. So I am running a strap from both outside tubes (front and back) to the trailer frame. I’m not pulling them tight, just snug. I was worried about the strap crossing the cable and water hose. but in reality it barely touches them. I am planning on shortening the straps also. Now if I could only change Florida Statute about overall length. :mad:

2B6671C7-6FF4-4068-8349-CF910EDD4802.jpeg 1099CB61-1896-4FC0-A157-87C451945FFB.jpeg

Only thing with wrapping that strap around the metal is the weakening affect it will have in a fairly short period of time. Another reason they have the hooks with the strap folded so neatly, making the strap reinforced by itself. I know... I know... there's one in every crowd, but just trying to save your straps from premature wear and tear.

I ran out of room on my front center eye, too, so I used an eye/link in the safety chain to hook my ratchet strap into. You don't need slack in your safety chain, anyway. may as well use it to your benefit.

Best wishes for your trip.

With the front center toon hole, I have to take the tension off the winch strap, get the additional strap look in there, then re-tighten. I bet you can get them both in there. Safe travels! If you are passing by Palm city and need help let me know.

Much better ! Quit posting about breaking the Florida Law. Might come back to bite.Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:
Thanks everybody!!! :cool::cool::cool:

Back