hurricane question

nukeantz

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience in strapping down pontoon to dock during some of the high winds expected from irma? They are saying 60-70 mph winds on many inland lakes. Mine is on a lift under roof, but some friends of mine are in open docks. Any suggestions?

Same question

If it were me. I would put on cover, put out every fender I have, tie off at least the four corners, maybe remove the bimini altogether. That is assuming the dock is capable. Hell, might as well throw out an anchor. Good luck.

Personally, I'd make sure your insurance policy is paid up because I'm thinking that a pontoon on a hoist in 70 MPH wind will likely be blow away. If it's in the water, I'm not sure it would fair any better, but this is just the opinion of a Michigan person. We had a micro burst on our lake a year or two ago and several pontoons ended up on shore and probably totaled based upon the pictures I saw. If you have a trailer, maybe you could leave it behind a large building that might offer some protection from the wind.

You might want to go to the "boat builder" to kill some time while you wait for the storm to hit. Good luck and stay safe!

The path has changed to head directly towards Naples/Sanibel/Ft. Myers now. My dog and I have evacuated to Chattanooga, just waiting it out in a hotel to see if we still have a home standing Monday. It's going to be ugly.

My thought is that a covered lift is a very bad place for a boat in a storm with this much wind. Some in our area pulled their boats off lifts if they had a trailer and sufficient time to get it done, then strapped the whole rig down to land. Best of luck and stay safe!

The storm is now heading to Tennessee.

Yes it is apparently chasing me ...

The path has changed to head directly towards Naples/Sanibel/Ft. Myers now. My dog and I have evacuated to Chattanooga, just waiting it out in a hotel to see if we still have a home standing Monday. It's going to be ugly.

My thought is that a covered lift is a very bad place for a boat in a storm with this much wind. Some in our area pulled their boats off lifts if they had a trailer and sufficient time to get it done, then strapped the whole rig down to land. Best of luck and stay safe!

Suddenly IN is looking good again!

In all seriousness, stay safe down there and hopefully your property is spared.

Went down to the boat tonight and reinforced everything. We have it tied in 6 different places. (Always do) If we correctly tie all 6 areas the boat never touches the dock. The 6 fenders, 3 on each side won't touch the sides either. They're there just in case. We put the Bimini in its boot and I got into the boat and made sure all the playpen cover poles were taut so the water runs off as soon as it hits the cover. We're ready for Irma!

Went down to the boat tonight and reinforced everything. We have it tied in 6 different places. (Always do) If we correctly tie all 6 areas the boat never touches the dock. The 6 fenders, 3 on each side won't touch the sides either. They're there just in case. We put the Bimini in its boot and I got into the boat and made sure all the playpen cover poles were taut so the water runs off as soon as it hits the cover. We're ready for Irma!
Did you lay the bimini down?

Did you lay the bimini down?

No.......We debated it but remember we don't have trailer struts for our Bimini. We didn't want it sitting directly on the playpen cover although it would have made contact where it connects anyway. Then we would have had to tie it down with a strap wrapped around the stainless steel frame our ski pole is attached to........

So in the water is safer than on the trailer?

So in the water is safer than on the trailer?

We will see. I think if we lived on the coast and were to take a direct hit from the hurricane I might have taken it out and put it on the trailer. We're still going to get some good wind and rain but I think it'll be okay. It's been through a lot of weather conditions in the 10 seasons we have had it.........

My thoughts go out to everyone trying to keep themselves, families, and their property safe as Irma hits. These are the moments I am reminded that living in a northern state like Michigan ain't so bad after all.

Remember, insurance can fix or replace boats. It cannot bring back people. Be safe everyone!

Back