Hustler trailer problem

kysportsman

Reaction score
My new Benny came on a 2017 Hustler trailer with tandom axel and brakes on rear axel. The tag on the trailer says its rated for 3800lbs. I have two concerns this setup seams to really pull hard, Im pulling with a 2002 full size Z71 with V8 engine and I have to give it gas going down small grades. It also fishtail's a little more than it should may just need adjusting forward on the trailer as fuel tank 3 battery's or on the back. Any ideals.

Sounds like you definitely need more weight forward of the axles. My trailer has adjustable axles so I can slide the assembly front to back, do you have something similar to help if you can't get the boat to much further on the trailer? I'm on my phone so I can't see the signature but I'd figure out if that 3800 is a gross weight rating of the carrying capacity. Seems like a light gross for tandem axles but really light if it is the gross rating ( total weight including the trailer) 

Yeah, go back to the basics and set for 10-15 percent tongue weight, might be making a few trips to the scales.  Set air pressure in tires.  

Oh yeah, check the air pressure, run them at the pressure listed on the sidewalk no less. Also check to make sure you didn't pull on the emergency brake cable at any point and the brakes are dragging! Just a few things I've seen before.

The axel's don't move but the wench stand has room for adjustment. I'm on vacation with it now I wont be able to weight it till I get home. I'll check the air pressure and move the wench stand up a little it don't seam to have much tongue weight.

Last edited by a moderator:
As stated before,sounds like the trailer is set up wrong for your boat. Did the trailer seem to pull up on the hitch while going over rough roads. If so,you definitely need to move the boat forward on the trailer to get more tongue weight. As far as the towing power, a 5.3 motor should do fine.

I have not been able to look at it today it's rained here all day. I did take a quick look I'm not sure I can adjust the wench stand forward because the steps may hit the truck in a short turn.

I have not been able to look at it today it's rained here all day. I did take a quick look I'm not sure I can adjust the wench stand forward because the steps may hit the truck in a short turn.

What  length of boat is the trailer designed to hold? And how much are you overhanging the bunks of the trailer?

The dealer ordered the trailer for the boat its a 22sf  boat-builder list the specs as. LOA 22' 11.5", pontoon length 21' 4", deck lenght 20' 11", beam 8' 6", hull weight (no engine) 2,196 lbs,

The trailer measures about 27' best I can tell with no one hold the tape. The bunks are 18' and the boat is setting with the back of the pontoons flush with the end of the bunks. The bunks run about 14" under the noise cone of the pontoons which don't touch.

The motor weights 363 lbs 

I have the motor, fuel tank, a cranking battery and 2 group 31 deep cycle marine battery's all in the back.

From the center of the hitch where it fits on the ball to the steps is 40" and from the center of the ball on the truck to the side of the fender is 38". The steps are 19" wide from the center of the trailer.

I'll get the information off the trailer tag tomarrow if it quicks raining.

Measure from the back of the trailer to the center of the axles. The center of the axles shouldn't be more 8-9' with that size boat, maybe even close to 7'. I can do the calcs tomorrow off my trailer and I know I have a little more on my rear axle. It may not take much more forward movement to give what you need, but pay attention to how close things are on a tight turn, last thing you want to do is scratch the truck!!!

A couple of suggestions.

1.  Check to make sure that your trailer is as level as possible 0 deg bubble) when hitched to the truck and in driving configuration.  This is really important since you have dual axles.  If you're not level you'll be imparting loads unevenly across the two axles.

2.  Check your tongue weight either at a truck stop scales (look for a CAT scales).  You'll have to disconnect the truck, have a level with you to get a weight.  Even then it won't be exact, as you'll be measuring from the tongue jack, but it will give you a pretty good idea of where you're at.  You need to be at about 10% typically of total weight - including trailer.

3. If you can afford one, get a tongue weight scale.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007REK28M/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1_w

I bought one because I had never had a trailer before and wanted to make sure I got the weights right.  My trailer was very light on the tongue (~ 6%) and as a result, we were able to move the winch post forward until we got it perfect.  If you cannot move the winch post or axles, you can add some weights (think barbell weights) to the front of the trailer until you hit 10%.  Then you'll know how many lbs you'll need to use.

I'm reading all of these suggestions and they are great! But ky bought the complete set up from one dealer, I think the dealer needs to work with you to fine tune the combo. It would be different if the trailer was bought second hand from an individual.Of coarse this is with the assumption that the dealer knows anything about or services the boat trailers. I say this because there's dealers out there that don't service their customers correctly.

If your pontoons and bunks are flush at the rear of the trailer, it would seem that your boat is too far forward. I had a 22 ft Benny and my overhang at the back  of the trailer was over 2 ft. To measure tongue weight, a cheap bathroom scale will work. 

I'm reading all of these suggestions and they are great! But ky bought the complete set up from one dealer, I think the dealer needs to work with you to fine tune the combo. It would be different if the trailer was bought second hand from an individual.Of coarse this is with the assumption that the dealer knows anything about or services the boat trailers. I say this because there's dealers out there that don't service their customers correctly.

^^^^^ This ^^^^^

I sent the dealer a e-mail but he has not got back with me and its a drive to take it to him. I was hoping it was an adjustment I could make when hooking up the boat I can't see it lower the back of truck much if any.

The trailer model # pts22t-13, GVWR 4980 lbs, max carrying 3800 lbs, 22', tires 13" st175(c) 50psi

The trailer is for a 22' boat it may be where I had the live well and battery box left out of the front and put the battery's in the rear.

The axels are different brands the front one is a Lippert 3500 lbs no brakes, the rear one is Tie down engineering 3500 lbs with brakes. 

With 2-3500 axles weight rating isn't an issue. Sounds like you just might need to get the boat further on the trailer, that might be the easiest to mess with, just the  bolts on the winch assy.  If it's leaf springs and not torsion just look at the center pivot to see how it centers itself when loaded, that's always a great indication if you're heavier on one axle more than another. I understand the drive to the dealer may be a PIA but he did sell you the set up so he should be helping in some sort of way!

If your pontoons and bunks are flush at the rear of the trailer, it would seem that your boat is too far forward. I had a 22 ft Benny and my overhang at the back  of the trailer was over 2 ft. 

My 22 fits right on where the rear of the toons are equal to the rear of the bunks +/- 1" or so.

My 22 fits right on where the rear of the toons are equal to the rear of the bunks +/- 1" or so.

So do mine on my 24'.  My trailer was custom made for the boat though.  Mine pontoons hang over the front of the bunks though by about 5'.

222048-albums8856-picture93412.jpg

Back