Hustler trailer problem

So do mine on my 24'.  My trailer was custom made for the boat though.  Mine pontoons hang over the front of the bunks though by about 5'.

My pontoon length was 22 ft. The bunks were 18 ft. So my trailer set up allowed 2 ft. Over hang front and rear which positioned the bunks evenly under the boat. I towed it for 14 years without any handling issues. My trailer was a Hoosier with torsion bar suspension and brakes on both axles.

IMG_1103.JPG

Here is mine while the dealer was putting it together the bunks are even with the back of the pontoons with about two thirds of the noise cone past the front.

I believe you said the winch post was not adjustable.  Do you have a close-up photo of that winch post?  It looks like it's adjustable.  I bet a simple 4-6" move of either the vertical winch post or even the bow ladder, that would fix your problem.

Its adjustable the problem is if I move it and have to turn short to the right the truck will hit the steps. I think the weather is going to get better tomarrow and was planning on going fishing. When I get it hooked up I will back it hard to to right and see how much clearance I have to move it forward. I think that is what it needs.

I agree, you can see the u bolts holding it on right, loosen the nuts, slide it.  On mine, the rear of the trailer frame rails, the bunks, and the toons are basically in line, vertical.  It looks like your bunks hang out in back, or is that just the pic angle.  

Its adjustable the problem is if I move it and have to turn short to the right the truck will hit the steps. I think the weather is going to get better tomarrow and was planning on going fishing. When I get it hooked up I will back it hard to to right and see how much clearance I have to move it forward. I think that is what it needs.

Yes, backing it up you can jack-knife any trailer; you just need to be careful.  You shouldn't ever have to risk jack-knifing a trailer when backing up.  Worst case scenario you make a couple of maneuvers.  I would give it a try.  I think you're going to be OK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is my setup.  Got plenty of room to pivot hard, although the steps just might hit the bumper at a 90, but then I shouldn't be at a 90 should I.  It kind of looks like the Hustler is a bit shorter overall. /monthly_2016_09/57d46dc704863_large.20160902_1706501.jpg.68b39a62d8b1b717534ba90a9cc110d1.jpg

If you have a transponder hanging off the rear and you move the bunk-stop/ladder (and boat) any further forward, make sure you wont knock the transponder off with the trailer bunk boards. Bummer that the axle assembly on your trailer isn't made to slide. We had to move our bunk stop forward and also our axles back just to get ours to a 10% tongue weight. With so many variations in these boats, rigging, loading, trailers, etc., for those still shopping and if you trailer a lot, having both adjustments available is highly recommended.

If you have a transponder hanging off the rear and you move the bunk-stop/ladder (and boat) any further forward, make sure you wont knock the transponder off with the trailer bunk boards. Bummer that the axle assembly on your trailer isn't made to slide. We had to move our bunk stop forward and also our axles back just to get ours to a 10% tongue weight. With so many variations in these boats, rigging, loading, trailers, etc., for those still shopping and if you trailer a lot, having both adjustments available is highly recommended.

Good point.  When I moved mine forward, I had the builder remove six inches off of the starboard bunk to accommodate the transducer.  Didn't want to damage it.

View attachment 1629

Here is mine while the dealer was putting it together the bunks are even with the back of the pontoons with about two thirds of the noise cone past the front.

It appears that the driver seat is almost sitting in line with the front axle and also appears to have about 2/3 of the boat in front of the tandem axle center line. From this picture I don't see any reason that boat should have to go farther forward. A friend of mine just purchased a 22S with a 150 about 3 weeks ago and it's on the same Hustler trailer as yours and they pull it with a Chevy crew cab Z71 with no issues at all. I just received our 25Q with a 350 hanging on it and it's also on a Hustler trailer and I also pull with a half ton GMC crew cab Z71 and I have no trouble except long hills but my boat is much heavier. My suggestion is the same as I saw someone else reply, make sure when you're hooked to the trailer that the trailer is level or just a little higher in the front. I actually carry 3 hitches in my truck set at different heights for this reason.

I changed the hitch height now it seams to pull better. As for as pulling it does ok on country roads 45 to 55 mph but when I get on the parkway or I65 and try to run 60 To 65 is when it gives me trouble. When I go home Sunday I'll be pulling it with the RV and see how it does, My wife wont pull a trailer nor drive the RV.

I changed the hitch height now it seams to pull better. As for as pulling it does ok on country roads 45 to 55 mph but when I get on the parkway or I65 and try to run 60 To 65 is when it gives me trouble. When I go home Sunday I'll be pulling it with the RV and see how it does, My wife wont pull a trailer nor drive the RV.

How is that trolling motor working out? How did you mount it? Also, what is the foot print dimensions where it mounts. I'm brainstorming how I'm eventually going to mount mine and can't seem to find the specs on line.

The trolling motor works good for what i use it for I've not used all the functions yet. I have used the anchor function It's good if you want to stop as long as you are going into the wind if not the boat will swing around. The heading lock works but same problem with wind I guess you could pull something to keep the boat straight without going to fast.

I have not used the foot pedal, I have only used the remote I like the remote but there I found a week point. I had it around my neck and stood up at the helm it hung on the steering wheel and broke the little piece of plastic where it attaches. 

I mounted it with the motorguide nylon quick release mount. The way these are made it sticks out in the way of the cover. I release the mount and slide it back to put the cover on. Also with this mount you can completely remove the motot and are left with a about a 4" x 6" x 1" thick piece of plastic on the boat and it mounts with 4 bolts. 

I not set up to post picture yet but I can take some and send them to you. 

If you are a bass fisherman this motor may not offer the control to get in around trees and docks that a foot contron does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back