hydraulic steering

Baystar's for smaller engines.  SeaStar is required for the larger engines--150 hp and above actually benefit from the quite expensive power steering assist.

My F150 actually gets hard to steer in a very tight, high speed turn.  However I seldom make tight, high speed turns so it's not really an issue for me.  I'm sure I'd love the p/s assist, but not enough to spend $2.3K plus labor to install one.

Baystar's for smaller engines.  SeaStar is required for the larger engines--150 hp and above actually benefit from the quite expensive power steering assist.

My F150 actually gets hard to steer in a very tight, high speed turn.  However I seldom make tight, high speed turns so it's not really an issue for me.  I'm sure I'd love the p/s assist, but not enough to spend $2.3K plus labor to install one.
Bamaman, are you saying that you have no power steering of any kind and it is not a big deal.  Would like to hear from others on this as well

I have power assisted on our boat. I added it because I didn't like the non-powered hydraulic steering.

I have power assisted on our boat. I added it because I didn't like the non-powered hydraulic steering.
CWag, would you educate me and others on the hierarchy level of steering options

You have cable, Baystar hydraulic, Seastar hydraulic, and power assisted Seastar hydraulic. Power assist only works on Seastar, not Baystar.

My power steering pump is supposed to be installed this week! Then the wait continues to try it out...

Bamaman, are you saying that you have no power steering of any kind and it is not a big deal.  Would like to hear from others on this as well
I have ,the Seastar with the power assist 

You have cable, Baystar hydraulic, Seastar hydraulic, and power assisted Seastar hydraulic. Power assist only works on Seastar, not Baystar.
Thanks CWag, I know you are probably busy shoveling snow :)  but could you give me a brief explanation of each along with an aprox installed cosy

Cable is for smaller motors (115 and lower). Baystar is a less expensive version of Seastar and you can't add the power assist to it. I bought a used pump and did the install myself so I don't know what it would cost to have it done. My out of pocket was about $900.00. Maybe Lakeliving will tell us what he's paying.

My power steering pump is supposed to be installed this week! Then the wait continues to try it out...

You could bring her down here and try it out!   :D

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a "warranty" related item as the original hydraulic system leaked and ruined the flooring, selling dealer installed new fittings....they leaked. Bennington took the boat back to the factory for repairs.....still leaking. So the entire system is being replaced and they are adding the power assist. So no cost to me aside from all the headaches and dealing with leaking steering fluid since new. Bennington has been great to work with and I am praying this will solve the issues with all new lines etc. going in. I also requested a sump type pan for the pump to sit in under the helm in the event it leaks again. The idea was the fluid would collect in the pan and not on the flooring. I sent a sketch to Bennington and one has been made but I have not seen it yet. I will post pics when I see it installed.

It is a "warranty" related item as the original hydraulic system leaked and ruined the flooring, selling dealer installed new fittings....they leaked. Bennington took the boat back to the factory for repairs.....still leaking. So the entire system is being replaced and they are adding the power assist. So no cost to me aside from all the headaches and dealing with leaking steering fluid since new. Bennington has been great to work with and I am praying this will solve the issues with all new lines etc. going in. I also requested a sump type pan for the pump to sit in under the helm in the event it leaks again. The idea was the fluid would collect in the pan and not on the flooring. I sent a sketch to Bennington and one has been made but I have not seen it yet. I will post pics when I see it installed.
For some reason I always thought yours was already power assisted. You're definitely gonna love it ;-)

I bought my original Sweetwater 220 DL with a Honda 135 on it.  It had manual steering when I test drove it, and then I had the dealer add Seastar hydraulic steering.  It was nicer, but still a bit of a chore to move around if pulling tubers and such.  For straight cruising, it was more than fine.

In my new Bennington Q25 I got the Yamaha 250 and power assist steering.  I have only had the boat out once so far since getting it, but the power assist steering is VERY nice.  I would highly recommend it if it fits your budget and boating style.

I bought my original Sweetwater 220 DL with a Honda 135 on it. It had manual steering when I test drove it, and then I had the dealer add Seastar hydraulic steering. It was nicer, but still a bit of a chore to move around if pulling tubers and such. For straight cruising, it was more than fine.

In my new Bennington Q25 I got the Yamaha 250 and power assist steering. I have only had the boat out once so far since getting it, but the power assist steering is VERY nice. I would highly recommend it if it fits your budget and boating style.
Was it any easier, or noticeably easier, to steer when pulling tubes? Been thinking of putting in hydraulic without power and curious if it is worth the money. It would be nice to eliminate the steering torque.

Well, I didn't pull any tubers when I had the engine without hydraulic steering.  I had them install the hydraulic steering after the test drive and so the rest of my experience was with the hydraulic.

If I had to quantify it...with 1 being driving with manual steering, and 10 being driving with power steering, I would say that driving with hydraulic steering was about a 4.  There is a bigger difference from hydraulic to to power steering, than manual steering to hydraulic steering.  If that makes sense.

And of course, like I mentioned before, this was on my Sweetwater boat...the boat I had before my Bennington.

Back